4.7 '09 WK. AWD to Selectable 4WD swap? What do I need? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yzjwk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2021, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Th0r
2009 WK 

4.7 '09 WK. AWD to Selectable 4WD swap? What do I need?

I mean it's right there. And I do drive a lot so even a little MPG increase would be nice. If it's not that hard I may just do it while I'm rebuilding the motor.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1919.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2021, 04:22 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

There's no disconnect in the front axle so you're not going to save fuel. The whole front drive line is spinning no matter what.

Your vehicle is old enough that it would be paid for and fuel mileage irrelevant. I was happy with my 08 getting 14.5 but when I had to upgrade I went to a Ram and now I average 17.5 in a vehicle that weighs nearly 1000lb more. But...I have a monthly payment for about a year.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #3 of 6 Old 07-05-2021, 11:44 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
I intend to tackle this when I do the SAS...

You will need a transmission adaptor housing and transfer case (like an NP242 from a WJ, and the adaptor housing off the 545rfe out of the same rig. Then you will need driveshafts made and manual linkage up into the cab. Also, if you dont like looking at annoying dash lights, I believe Nitro Gear built a SAS WK (or had built), an Atlas tcase was swapped in and there was mention of needing to keep the factory tcase electronics removed from the case and left plugged in to keep the FDCM happy and prevent 4wd error messages.

This is my plan. There is 0 interest in fuel economy for myself, I am 100% interested in more fun. Been a while since I have wondered a junkyard, but its on the to do list in the near future!

Also, that is my favorite way to pull the engine on a wk. SO easy compared to bell housing and flex plate bolts, exhaust manifold collector bolts, and squeezing it out of the bay.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...

post #4 of 6 Old 07-06-2021, 06:30 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

If you’re mainly looking to add a 2wd option , then another option might be to take an np247 from a WJ. The pro’s would be that they are already mated to the 545rfe and they are purely hydraulic and use clutches so you would still have full auto AWD integration from almost open to full lock and keep a locked 4low. Because the 247 is initially biased at 10/90 f/r they can operate normally without the front driveshaft. All you would need to do is implement a driveshaft disconnect on the front prop shaft and you can swap 2wd-4wd. Or remove the shaft until you need it ..You would still need to figure out your fdcm like 2005JGC mentioned, and I wonder what the ESC and BTC would do, but I know the WJ gets a decent mileage increase with the front shaft disconnected. Something to ponder anyways

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #5 of 6 Old 07-06-2021, 07:25 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
If you’re mainly looking to add a 2wd option , then another option might be to take an np247 from a WJ. The pro’s would be that they are already mated to the 545rfe and they are purely hydraulic and use clutches so you would still have full auto AWD integration from almost open to full lock and keep a locked 4low. Because the 247 is initially biased at 10/90 f/r they can operate normally without the front driveshaft. All you would need to do is implement a driveshaft disconnect on the front prop shaft and you can swap 2wd-4wd. Or remove the shaft until you need it ..You would still need to figure out your fdcm like 2005JGC mentioned, and I wonder what the ESC and BTC would do, but I know the WJ gets a decent mileage increase with the front shaft disconnected. Something to ponder anyways
The select trac 242 also came on the 545rfe in some of the earlier years of the WJ (not sure what years they stopped using it). The 242 has 2 high, 4high, neutral, and 4 low. Same gear reduction as the 245 in low (which is another potential hurdle... the jeep may freak out if you were to do a different gear reduction in 4 low. I am not sure if you can change the expected reduction with the jscan or not. Same 2 speed, same strength (4), but manual selection of the aforementioned options.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #6 of 6 Old 07-06-2021, 08:44 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
The select trac 242 also came on the 545rfe in some of the earlier years of the WJ (not sure what years they stopped using it). The 242 has 2 high, 4high, neutral, and 4 low. Same gear reduction as the 245 in low (which is another potential hurdle... the jeep may freak out if you were to do a different gear reduction in 4 low. I am not sure if you can change the expected reduction with the jscan or not. Same 2 speed, same strength (4), but manual selection of the aforementioned options.
Ya the 242 would be a pretty rare find, although I think Libby’s could be easily had with 545 and 242, but regardless, you could get an adapter to fit just about any tcase you wanted without much issue. The 247 has the same low range so there’s no problem there , but for me I just prefer the ease of a clutched AWD tcase for a more daily driver. So many times I got to/through the city in the YJ and forgot to shift it as I bunny hopped into the first dry corner or parking spot. Lol
Mainly off road rig , then ya 231hd , atlas, 241 all better.

I’m surprised more people (anyone) Don’t do something like that with QT1. A 2sp tcase would be a good upgrade to try if I could ever convince myself to get a v6 wk.
2005JGC likes this.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in