33s with a 3 inch lift? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-24-2021, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Roadie_
2005 WK 

33s with a 3 inch lift?

I've got a 3" lift with 1 inch wheel spacers "I think" I purchased the vehicle with them already installed. I'm in need of a new set of tires and currently I'm running 265/70/17 which don't have any rubbing issues at all. I took it into a local reputable tire shop which seemed pretty confident I could fit 33s without any trimming, or control arm rubbing.

While I'd love the increased tire size, I feel I'll have some rubbing issues and will have to do some trimming after installed. Did the shop quote me correctly or will I have to do the pinch weld to pull of the 33s?

Last edited by Roadie_; 05-25-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-25-2021, 11:33 AM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
You will 100% have rubbing issues if you do more than mall crawl. Even in the mall, you may have issues with the wheel cranked all the way. Anyone who says otherwise has not actually flexed their suspension out at all, and they are commenting on only driving around the city OR they spent more money on other items to help remedy the problems (like longer control arms in the rear, bump stops...).

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #3 of 9 Old 05-25-2021, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Roadie_
2005 WK 

I figured as much. So you think I should stick with the 265s or would I be safe running 275s? I might just have to bite the bullet and spend a bit more money and time to accommodate the 33s. I really need to get someone to take a look at the setup that knows what they're doing. I bought the rig used with the spacers and lift installed so unsure about the specs. I do know it's not a leveling kit though.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-27-2021, 08:49 AM
MA_Racing27

I run Lt285/70r17s on a 3 inch block lift, I don't have fender liners in the front(this is not for everyone) and I have rolled the pinch weld front and back. Because I used a block lift my bump stops are now lower which is part of why I dont rub. Currently full stuff in the rear I almost touch the top of the fender well. The front doesn't get close because there's hardly and uptravel due to the blocks. Omelet ran 33s on an OME HD lift. In his build thread you will find the details on how to make it work with the fender liners in the front.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-27-2021, 08:56 AM
MA_Racing27

I had 275/70r17s before. The BFG AT. I had to modify both fenders for it as well. Only way to remedy not rubbing in the rear is to modify fenders or get longer control arms. Or both depending on how big your going 😁 and double check bump stops.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-29-2021, 02:05 PM
Windexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA_Racing27 View Post
I had 275/70r17s before. The BFG AT. I had to modify both fenders for it as well. Only way to remedy not rubbing in the rear is to modify fenders or get longer control arms. Or both depending on how big your going 😁 and double check bump stops.
It can be a combination of the above. I've got somewhere near a 2 inch lift but running a tyre that comes out to 33 inch but its quite narrow (255/85/R16), I had a modify the rear guards as per the instructions on here and add a 2 inch bumpstop. This means I've lost some upward movement for sure but I dont get any tyre to guard contact when flexing or when offroad.

2005 WK Limited Hemi, 2" OME lift, header back exhaust, 245/75/R17 MT, Superchips tuned, Roof rack
post #7 of 9 Old 05-29-2021, 04:30 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Get the tire that you want and solve the problems later. Otherwise you will wish you had done just that and soon be purchasing the tire you originally wanted anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old 05-31-2021, 12:41 PM
nwoods
2006 WK 

Garage
I just installed OME HD springs and shocks in the rear, plus 1.5" wheel spacer, plus 33" tires (285/70/17). I rub a TON in the rear. Just behind the passenger door. I am now looking for ways to add extended bump stops to mitigate this. Fortunately, no rubbing in the front at all (I did do the pinch weld mod). I am a bit worried about the location of the TPMS sensors, but so far they've been okay. I haven't reinstalled the wheel well liners yet, though I have trimmed them down.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7243.jpg  

2006 Jeep WK on 33s
HAM: KI6FPO
Offroad Photography:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nwoods; 05-31-2021 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added photo
post #9 of 9 Old 06-01-2021, 10:07 AM
airinkcustoms

Garage
A 265/70/17 is a 32-10-17 I just installed a set on mine with wheel spacers on Commander Wheels and they barely touch the inner fender at the pinch weld at full turn and some stuff. I went with the General Grabber ATx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in