3.7 transmission issues. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By badgerwithhands

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-02-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
blake A WK

Garage
3.7 transmission issues.

My 06 Laredo has been having problems shifting through gears for a while because its got a lot of mileage, but the other day i went to pass an Acura on the highway and had to slow down quickly to get back in the lane and it was just dead. The engine would rev but the jeep wouldn't move. i pulled over, turned the jeep off and back on and it worked fine after. it threw a code but it was related to two modules being unable to communicate but the dealership says that was unrelated. any ideas? Am i screwed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-02-2019, 08:04 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

What were the codes?

What is the hi mileage?
Has the trans been serviced - fluid filter?

Confirm 545RFE

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-02-2019, 08:09 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake A WK View Post
My 06 Laredo has been having problems shifting through gears for a while because its got a lot of mileage, but the other day i went to pass an Acura on the highway and had to slow down quickly to get back in the lane and it was just dead. The engine would rev but the jeep wouldn't move. i pulled over, turned the jeep off and back on and it worked fine after. it threw a code but it was related to two modules being unable to communicate but the dealership says that was unrelated. any ideas? Am i screwed?
Sounds to me like you're low on fluid. Since you have no dipstick ( NAG1 transmission ) Did the dealer check the level?

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot

post #4 of 13 Old 10-02-2019, 08:40 AM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
I would highly recommend opening up the trans. Check the fluid for use and check the conductor plate. You have the NAG1. There are various ways to "make" a dipstick or you can buy the "special tool" Mercedes has. Dorman makes the same thing I believe.

I have a CRD, with NAG1. I also just helped my brother in law with a similar problem on his Commander with 3.7 and NAG1. We swapped the conductor plate and new fluids and filter. No problems since. He was also having intermittent issues but one final push did what yours did.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,
post #5 of 13 Old 10-03-2019, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
blake A WK

Garage
it has 201k on it and the trans has been serviced, fluid changes etc.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-03-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
blake A WK

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerwithhands View Post
I would highly recommend opening up the trans. Check the fluid for use and check the conductor plate. You have the NAG1. There are various ways to "make" a dipstick or you can buy the "special tool" Mercedes has. Dorman makes the same thing I believe.

I have a CRD, with NAG1. I also just helped my brother in law with a similar problem on his Commander with 3.7 and NAG1. We swapped the conductor plate and new fluids and filter. No problems since. He was also having intermittent issues but one final push did what yours did.
will do, thanks a lot
post #7 of 13 Old 10-03-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
blake A WK

Garage
will do.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-09-2019, 07:13 PM
JackB1
2014 WK 

Could you explain what is the conductor plate. While trying to find info on the NAGI I stumbled across this site. NAGI.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-09-2019, 08:03 PM
YouStupidBunny

2007 XK Commander 

The problem is likely the transmission conductor plate. When they start to go bad, shifting gets "wonky". Sometimes, it'll shift hard or feel like it's having trouble finding the correct gear. Other times, it'll drop out of gear into neutral or won't go into gear from park or reverse. Often, it'll only trigger a code when it's really bad. When that happens, you'll be in limp mode and it won't even reach jogging speed.

The trans conductor plate went bad on two of my NAG1 vehicles right around 150k miles. The last two, I replaced the part as preventive maintenance before I was left stranded. At 200k+ miles, you should probably replace the trans conductor plate even if it's not the problem. Local dealer wanted $600 for the part. Found genuine Mopar on Ebay for $150.

Here's a video showing the process. It's not difficult, but it's messy and time consuming. The only tools you'll need not in most tool boxes are torx bits, but all Jeep owners should have those already.
Edit: Just to clarify, the 722.6 Mercedes transmission is the same as your NAG1.

Last edited by YouStupidBunny; 10-09-2019 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added info.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 PM
YouStupidBunny

2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Could you explain what is the conductor plate. While trying to find info on the NAGI I stumbled across this site. NAGI.
The trans conductor plate is part the transmission, above the trans fluid pan, and attached to the valve body. It's where you'll find the shift control valves, pressure relief valves, and speed sensor. If you get under your Jeep, look on the passenger side, just forward of the trans fluid pan and you'll see a harness connector. That harness plugs in directly to the trans conductor plate. To access and replace it, you'll need to remove the trans fluid pan.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-09-2019, 10:07 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
When reassembling, make sure you put the pin back in to the shifter piece. Most videos don't show it. It's when putting the valve body back in.
Jambalam likes this.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,
post #12 of 13 Old 10-16-2019, 12:26 AM
jfalkine

I just did mine. Get it as far off the ground as possible. Its a messy job, but actually super easy.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-16-2019, 08:32 AM
Jambalam

2007 WK 

Garage
A couple months late but hope this helps. My 2006 3.7 was having transmission issues that a new conductor plate, filter and fluid completely fixed. I think the dead give away for mine was the transmission codes. If you are low on fluid, figure out where it went because it isn't supposed to go anywhere. Catch all your old trans fluid and refill with about that much (unless you were low to begin with) be sure to measure with a dipstick before and after, warm and cool. Amazon has a whole kit for less than $200.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/...ccups-4356855/

2007 Grand Cherokee Limited CRD.
2006 Grand Cherokee Larado 3.7 V6.
Denver,CO

Tags
transmission issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in