26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 51 Old 05-29-2019, 03:23 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What is fuel pricing like where you live? Everywhere around here diesel is quite a bit cheaper than gas.
Good point! I am only gas in all my rigs so its been a few months since I have taken the time to look at diesel prices... They swung the other way a bit now. In my area diesel is only slightly more expensive than gas (2.92-3.59 for diesel and 3.35 to 3.49 for gas) I tried a quick google search before I mentioned it and gas prices are were all I found before I gave up after about 10 seconds.

Truck stops all are quite a bit lower than the local gas stations.

underscore likes this.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 51 Old 05-29-2019, 05:50 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
I have one of the December 2008 built CRDs and I absolutely love it. I previously had a v8 dodge and the acceleration and fuel mileage is night and day. I'm running a hot tune, dpf delete, larger intercooler, and resonator delete, and the reliability and power is outstanding. We had some days down to -40C this winter, and she started up without issue (plugged in).

The engine does cost a little more to maintain, but not much really. Oil change is more because it takes 9.5L, and I change my fuel filter every oil change as a precaution, but otherwise the the regular maintenance is the same cost.

The only thing I could see as a downside in your case is the QD2. As far as I know, the CRD only came in a QD1, with high and low range. It's still quite capable off road, but the lack of eLSDs may be something that bothers you

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #18 of 51 Old 05-29-2019, 08:20 PM
billybob02
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray203m View Post
I have one of the December 2008 built CRDs and I absolutely love it. I previously had a v8 dodge and the acceleration and fuel mileage is night and day. I'm running a hot tune, dpf delete, larger intercooler, and resonator delete, and the reliability and power is outstanding. We had some days down to -40C this winter, and she started up without issue (plugged in).

The engine does cost a little more to maintain, but not much really. Oil change is more because it takes 9.5L, and I change my fuel filter every oil change as a precaution, but otherwise the the regular maintenance is the same cost.

The only thing I could see as a downside in your case is the QD2. As far as I know, the CRD only came in a QD1, with high and low range. It's still quite capable off road, but the lack of eLSDs may be something that bothers you
Not true. My CRD has QD2.

post #19 of 51 Old 05-29-2019, 09:26 PM
SteveROntario

The North editions are QT2 from what I recall, that is what I have. How long does it take you to change the fuel filter? I did mine once 60,000 km ago so I need to do it again. It seemed to be a ridiculous amount of effort for a fuel filter from what I recall.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #20 of 51 Old 05-29-2019, 10:33 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveROntario View Post
The North editions are QT2 from what I recall, that is what I have. How long does it take you to change the fuel filter? I did mine once 60,000 km ago so I need to do it again. It seemed to be a ridiculous amount of effort for a fuel filter from what I recall.
Not the easiest diesel fuel filter I've replaced, 7.3L Powerstroke sits right on top, and definitely not the worst I've had to replace.

Mine is QD2 as well. I never would've bought a WK this late without diesel and QD2. Those were my requirements to buy a Jeep.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,
post #21 of 51 Old 05-30-2019, 12:05 AM
rokrau
2008 WK 

Did my fuel filter last weekend and it takes less time than to fill 5qts of oil into the oil filter holder.
7 bolts total. 2 clamps and 2 teensie torx that hold the sensor in.

On the original question, I would not buy my CRD again. I’d spend the money to buy a Diesel truck with 4 doors or a GM Diesel SUV with the 6.6 engine. Do a Cummins swap on it...yeah I’m dreaming 😄

While the CRD engine itself is great, all the problems you see here so frequently are consequences from shoehorning this engine into a vehicle that was not designed for it. The area around the turbo overheats causing the actuator problems. The intercooler plumbing leaks causing underboosts. God forbid your oil cooler starts to leak and you have to yank half the engine out. Alternators, power steering pumps and starters are a nightmare for people with regular sized hands.
And the list goes on.

After a while though you’re invested and there is knowledge that’s been collecting and then it becomes harder to ditch this ugly girlfriend.

My 2cents.
99sajeep, MC_wk and 2005JGC like this.

--Roland, 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.0 CRD, EHM and TRD
post #22 of 51 Old 05-30-2019, 07:48 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob02 View Post
Not true. My CRD has QD2.
Is that common though? I thought it was a special order for the CRD

And label me mistaken, I guess mine is QT2

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #23 of 51 Old 05-30-2019, 11:36 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

I never thought of the fuel filter as difficult, it's pretty accessible compared to everything else I've owned (aside from the YJ). At least it isn't in the tank like a bleeping XJ.

Quote:
Is that common though? I thought it was a special order for the CRD

And label me mistaken, I guess mine is QT2
My Laredo and my friends Limited are both CRDs with QDII. Canadian market though so the options may have been a bit different.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]
post #24 of 51 Old 05-30-2019, 12:35 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Is that common though? I thought it was a special order for the CRD...And label me mistaken, I guess mine is QT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
...My Laredo and my friends Limited are both CRDs with QDII. Canadian market though so the options may have been a bit different.
Get your build sheet using the VIN. There are 2 main sections on mine: First is standard equipment and second section is factory-installed options. [There is actually a third section for dealer-installed options.] That will tell you definitively.

There is also a small tag by the Low Range T-handle with Quadra-Drive II logo, at least on the US market WK's.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #25 of 51 Old 05-30-2019, 06:12 PM
moonvan
2008 WK 

My CRD has QD2, and I have seen quite a few that are QD2

2008.5 Grand Cherokee S-Limited CRD
post #26 of 51 Old 05-30-2019, 06:21 PM
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonvan View Post
My CRD has QD2, and I have seen quite a few that are QD2
Both mine and my GFs are 2007s. Both have QDII.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

2014 TJOTY Winner
IG: theracingjeep
SAS CRD WK on 37s
Lowrider TJ on 40s
post #27 of 51 Old 05-30-2019, 08:59 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
My 07 CRD has QD2 too! Love it.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #28 of 51 Old 05-30-2019, 10:47 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokrau View Post

On the original question, I would not buy my CRD again. Iíd spend the money to buy a Diesel truck with 4 doors or a GM Diesel SUV with the 6.6 engine. Do a Cummins swap on it...yeah Iím dreaming 😄

No they stopped making your dream truck/Suv in 2003. my wifes 03 excursion limited 4x4 7.3. King of the SUVS. on 35s 4.30 gears. injectors turbo on the fly tunes. gets 18.8 mixed diving mixed<. holds 44 gallons of fuel. 1ton axles. 4 tons of SUV. tows 10k like nothing.
99sajeep likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 51 Old 06-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Jambalam

2007 WK 

Garage
One more vote for the CRD!

At 130k miles, she's either due for maintenance or just had it but you probably won't be able to tell either way. Mine had a buttload of work done around 100k miles but ultimately I think most of it wasn't necessary, just had to work around the warranty's wording. I'd mostly be cautious of dying fuel injectors and/or the turbo acutator issue. Probably due for a transmission service as well. Read the conflictedracer blog about the CRDs, it gave me the confidence to buy mine.

My oil change price is not any more expensive than other vehicles. I found an oil I like at Walmart for $22/5qt. A $60 oil change every 6k miles doesn't seem bad to me.

Even after dealing with her in and out of the shop for the first year, I love my CRD! I wish they were putting this engine into the new Wranglers.

2007 Grand Cherokee Limited CRD, Denver,CO. Member since Jan. 2017.
post #30 of 51 Old 06-05-2019, 05:35 AM
stormer1092
2005 WK 

I love how people are obsessed with the 3.0. Guess most have never had to work on them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in