3.0 V/s Hemi - JeepForum.com
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 05-28-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
browningv308

3.0 V/s Hemi

Hello everybody, new to the Jeep world Just sold my 04 Discovery 2 and am looking a the WK platform I like that the Quadra Drive 2 has traction control, low range and the lockers Just like my Disco 2

I do a little exploring and trail riding in the mountains of Va. Not much mud just mostly fire and logging roads. I like to car camp.
My reason for wanting a diesel GC would be for the mileage, 5 gallons of fuel on the roof would buy me another 75-80 miles of get back home from the middle of nowhere driving. And the pulling power would get the boat to the lake and back easier too. And with future plans to lift it the extra torque wouldn't hurt either

Money wise I can get a gas motor jeep cheaper than I could get the diesel motor a lot cheaper
I'm looking to spend around $10k for a diesel or $6-7 k for a Hemi powered Jeep. Also looking for a long term investment I like to keep my vehicles till there is nothing left of them, I also don't mind turning a wrench to keep them going.
The plan would be to lift it, put some 285's and a winch under the bumper.

The Hemi Jeep I could buy from a private owner and maybe I could get some input on maintenance from them Most of the diesel Jeeps I can find are sitting at a used car lot so I would have nothing to go on as far as maintenance and past history. And most of the diesel Jeeps have around 130k on them

My question is if you had the choice would you pick an 05-09 Hemi or the 07-08 3.0 CRD Why would you pick one over the other.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 05-28-2019, 04:42 PM
consumedbywater

Garage
After dealing with my Hemi, I'd definitely go for the CRD.

Early Hemis have a risk of a valve drop destroying the engine. It usually happens after the motor has been overheated, but may take thousands of miles after the overheat to drop. 09-10 Hemis have a new design and got a significant power bump, so I would go for one of those if possible.

The real downside to all Hemis, though, is the gas mileage. I've got an XK, so it does weigh a bit more than a WK, but I struggled to average 13mpg in mostly highway driving.
post #3 of 51 Old 05-28-2019, 06:02 PM
moonvan
2008 WK 

I cant speak to to the hemi side but my last Wk was a 4.7 and my current is a CRD. It is a night and day difference between those two. My average mileage on the 4.7 was 12.5 MPG and the CRD is about 19.5 MPG and both had OME lifts with 32's. I would say go for the diesel and if you can get an 08, some of the 07s seem to have issues that i think might have been addressed in the 08's.

2008.5 Grand Cherokee S-Limited CRD

post #4 of 51 Old 05-28-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
browningv308

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
After dealing with my Hemi, I'd definitely go for the CRD.

Early Hemis have a risk of a valve drop destroying the engine. It usually happens after the motor has been overheated, but may take thousands of miles after the overheat to drop. 09-10 Hemis have a new design and got a significant power bump, so I would go for one of those if possible.

The real downside to all Hemis, though, is the gas mileage. I've got an XK, so it does weigh a bit more than a WK, but I struggled to average 13mpg in mostly highway driving.
Try an 04 Discovery with 4.5 lift and real 33's 8 mpg all day Actually ran out of gas after running the gas tank dry and refilling with my 10 gallons of back up fuel on a trail ride one time.
post #5 of 51 Old 05-28-2019, 06:39 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
The Hemi is going to cost you a lot less to get into and a lot less to maintain. Being a Disco guy, you would probably better relate to the ownership of a 3.0l . There are far more common issues on the 3.0l that cost considerably more or at least take a lot longer for you to do yourself. You are paying the diesel premium to buy the rig and you are paying the diesel premium to drive it. When (if) you ever need a shop, there is common reports of this being a redheaded step child of a vehicle, Mercedes shops don't like to work on the Jeep and jeep shops don't like to work on the Mercedes under the hood. While I am sure any shop you would actually want working on it would do so happily.

If you buy it for the fuel economy, do the real math... buy a hemi at 4-6k less than a crd... it will take a LOT of gas to make up the difference, then add in the additional cost in maintenance and more expensive fuel and you will be lucky to make up the difference by the time you are ready to stick a fork in it. Buying it for the fuel economy is just a story you tell yourself to make yourself feel better about the price you paid . If you are an overlander and being able to squeeze every mile you can out of a tank in the back country, then the fuel economy starts to be worth the additional cost because its not a "savings" but part of the package you are paying for.

If there were dislike buttons I am sure this opinion would be heavily down-voted, but for every forum regular who has taken the time to pay a shop or do a major repair themselves and had the money to pay it or the time to do it, there is handfuls of non enthusiasts not on this forum who bought one that needs work and is completely stressed out because they cannot afford repairs and they cannot find a shop that wants to work on it. Ultimately decide for yourself. If CRD is your thing, there is nothing wrong with that.

To be fair, the hemi gets a lot of crap about the dropped valve seats. In my experience, it has been really reliable (here I am talking about the hemi like the CRD owners are talking about the CRD ). I sold my 2008 (pre redesign) with 150k miles on it and the thing ran like a top and had gobs of power.

I ultimately am in a 4.7l because my first grand cherokee fell back in my lap and I factored in a few things like, 4 lo has no problem spinning all 4 33ish inch tires in dirt, mud, rocks and sand, so grip is really what is important at that point. Rolling around with toyotas and mitsubishi's a lot, I constantly drive up things that leave the those guys saying, "nope, cant do it, not enough power." So adding more power is just going to be more likely to break things. Plus the 4.7l being a bit smaller would be a bit easier to work on with a breakdown on the trail. A bunch of excuses I have made up for having a small V8

Drive both, get what ya like!
99sajeep, MC_wk, SillyDude and 1 others like this.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #6 of 51 Old 05-28-2019, 07:19 PM
SteveROntario

You will need to test drive a couple of each to see how you like the feel. The diesel has good engine braking and power. Set cruise and it doesn't waver at all on most any grade. The best you can do with a CRD is a 2009 model year VIN if you search hard enough (they were built late 2008 and sold as 2008s instead of 2009s because of emission issues). You can get the Hemi as a 2010 model year.
Watch out of Canadian CRDs....we scrap vehicles at 10 years due to rust.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #7 of 51 Old 05-28-2019, 07:23 PM
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
One vote here for the CRD...

37s, regeared on 4.88s, eco tune, 20-22mpg always.

Has no issues towing my TJ on 40s up and down hills.

200k still pulling strong.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

2014 TJOTY Winner
IG: theracingjeep
SAS CRD WK on 37s
Lowrider TJ on 40s
post #8 of 51 Old 05-28-2019, 09:14 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGLT56 View Post
One vote here for the CRD...

37s, regeared on 4.88s, eco tune, 20-22mpg always.

Has no issues towing my TJ on 40s up and down hills.

200k still pulling strong.

Hahaha, I love your rig! let's be fair... 4.88's are a big part of your comfort towing and power to turn the 37's... Is your rig the one with the atlas transfer case too?... Much of your experience is in the things that you have done well above and beyond 99% of the wk's on this forum. 4.10's, the only thing available for the IFS differential would not be the same story with your 37's and a towing

Beautiful rig, well done... both of em!

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #9 of 51 Old 05-28-2019, 09:58 PM
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
Hahaha, I love your rig! let's be fair... 4.88's are a big part of your comfort towing and power to turn the 37's... Is your rig the one with the atlas transfer case too?... Much of your experience is in the things that you have done well above and beyond 99% of the wk's on this forum. 4.10's, the only thing available for the IFS differential would not be the same story with your 37's and a towing

Beautiful rig, well done... both of em!
It is and true it does help alot... But my GF also had a 3.0 with the eco tune, 34s

Sucker got 25 all day.

2005JGC likes this.

2014 TJOTY Winner
IG: theracingjeep
SAS CRD WK on 37s
Lowrider TJ on 40s
post #10 of 51 Old 05-29-2019, 07:43 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

If you're really intent on lifting and going with fair size tires, do the CRD. They're geared short to begin with so the taller tires actually help.

My average over 14months or so is right at 15mpg with my Hemi running a 31/32" tire.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #11 of 51 Old 05-29-2019, 11:22 AM
MC_wk
2007 WK 

Quote:
If you are an overlander and being able to squeeze every mile you can out of a tank in the back country, then the fuel economy starts to be worth the additional cost because its not a "savings" but part of the package you are paying for.

...there is handfuls of non enthusiasts not on this forum who bought one that needs work and is completely stressed out because they cannot afford repairs and they cannot find a shop that wants to work on it. Ultimately decide for yourself. If CRD is your thing, there is nothing wrong with that.
Great post! You cover some very relevant points, IMO the most pertinent being enthusiast vs non-enthusiast. I wouldn't steer anyone towards a CRD unless they were a Jeep/diesel enthusiast, knew all about the routine issues, and were capable with a wrench.

Quote:
Drive both, get what ya like!
That's a bingo.
badgerwithhands likes this.

07 WK CRD QD2 GDE ECO - DPF OME HD Hardrocks & Duratracs
98 XJ FbG Moab & Duratrac
96 XJ
post #12 of 51 Old 05-29-2019, 01:01 PM
99sajeep

2005 WK 

When we bought our WK almost 5 yrs ago, we actually went looking for a CRD for the towing capabilities (and hopefully better fuel mileage). The Hemi was Plan B. In our search (here in TX and surrounding states), we found that the only 2 or 3 CRD WK's available were 2WD and that was a deal breaker for us. Lots of Hemi's with 4WD though. The MDS on the Hemi was also a selling point. We bought ours with 105k miles on the clock.

So, 5 yrs laters and I'm currently sitting at 208k miles on the Hemi and loving it! Still has tons of power for towing the boat. Maintenance has been general stuff for a vehicle that's 14 yrs old and high mileage. Engine has never been opened up. Trans has only had the solenoid switch block replaced & filters. My average mpg over the last year has been a consistent 15.2 mpg, both city & Hwy (as recorded using my AUTOsist app), and works out to be $0.02/mile. Also, since we have had the WK I have spent a total of $3,940 on parts which is less than $800/yr since ownership.

Oh, and I really like that I'm able to check the trans fluid in my RFE without special tools...

'99 WJ 4x4 Ltd 4.7L (sold)
'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 200k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)
post #13 of 51 Old 05-29-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
browningv308

Everybody here so far has made good points I think my reason for even considering the CRD is for the gas milage, I had/have the Disco2 8mpg, my pickup truck is a 00 silverado with the 8.1 10mpg and my work truck is an 11 silverado 2500 with the 6.0 and it gets around 12 mpg So all I ever do is buy gas The other reason for wanting to try the CRD is deep down I'm a Land Rover guy I'm used to working on vehicles and putting up with electrical gremlins. And I really think the CRD would a lot be a lot like owning a Land Rover. Just maybe a little more dependable.
I have a lot of decisions to make Problem is, there are plenty of Hemi powered jeeps around to try out but no diesel jeeps within a 4 hour 1 way trip to try out.
post #14 of 51 Old 05-29-2019, 02:30 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Not sure how close you are to the border or what importing is like but CRDs might be a little more available north of the border . Of the 8 07/08 WKs easily available in Manitoba, 6 are CRDs and 4 are < $10k Cdn so ~ $7500 USd

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #15 of 51 Old 05-29-2019, 02:48 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Both have their pros and cons, personally I would only own a diesel but I would also only suggest one to someone comfortable working on their own vehicle. If you get a shop to do the work I'd call a few before buying anything and be sure they're familiar with the diesel first.

Quote:
more expensive fuel

What is fuel pricing like where you live? Everywhere around here diesel is quite a bit cheaper than gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveROntario View Post
Watch out of Canadian CRDs....we scrap vehicles at 10 years due to rust.

Only out east, they're still shiny and clean out on the best coast
moonvan likes this.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in