2010 JEEP GC Laredo Horn not working - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-12-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
JEEPMAN123
2015 WK 

2010 JEEP GC Laredo Horn not working

Hello, I have a 2010 Jeep GC Laredo 3.7L with the full time AWD. Currently, when it rains or if I go through a car wash, my horn doesn't work. It will either have diminished sound, (like its clogged). Or it will just flat out not work. It's obviously a safety hazard and I need a functioning horn to pass state inspection.

When the weather is dry, the horn works as it should. Does anyone know where the horn is located? I was thinking of trying to trace the wires to see if they are shorting out from the water. Any ideas would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-13-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
JEEPMAN123
2015 WK 

Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I really have no idea where the horn is located and I don't own a lift to poke around underneath. Thanks.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-13-2017, 05:11 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

I believe it's behind the front bumper, below the passenger headlight/in front of the tire.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]

post #4 of 8 Old 10-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPMAN123 View Post
Hello, I have a 2010 Jeep GC Laredo 3.7L with the full time AWD. Currently, when it rains or if I go through a car wash, my horn doesn't work. It will either have diminished sound, (like its clogged). Or it will just flat out not work. It's obviously a safety hazard and I need a functioning horn to pass state inspection.

When the weather is dry, the horn works as it should. Does anyone know where the horn is located? I was thinking of trying to trace the wires to see if they are shorting out from the water. Any ideas would be helpful.
Sounds like the fuel pump on the old MG's. It was located behind the driver's side rear wheel. Rear tire sprayed water up and shorted it out, usually in a deep puddle (which is where the car stopped).

When you locate it, dry everything off (e.g., hair dryer), clean the corrosion from the connectors with electronic cleaner spray, add a dab of dielectric grease to the connections, then cover in silicone sealant.

Here is a link to the 2010 WK Parts manual to help you find it: http://wkjeeps.com/misc/Parts/2010_wk_parts.pdf See p. 128.

CAUTION: This advice may be worth what you paid to get it.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-14-2017, 02:58 PM
moto-jeep
2007 WK 

Our horn quit working - the horn was corroded.
Purchased a replacement from rockauto - works like a charm. Hope it lasts another 10 years.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-18-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
JEEPMAN123
2015 WK 

I am suspecting that is the problem with mine. I pulled out the inner fender panel and peered inside. There is some tubing with wiring inside it that ran along the bottom of the cross member that went to the horn and headlights etc. The plastic tubing was cracked open. I figured there may have been water getting in and corroded a wire. However, I applied heat and dielectric grease just to coat the wiring and nothing. The connections appear to be fine as well. Fuse is also good. Just odd, the horn will work intermittently then sound as though a sock was stuffed in it. I know its getting power, I can hear the fuses click in the fuse box. So its either a short somewhere or like moto-jeep has is a corroded horn.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-25-2018, 03:32 AM
-Syntax-

2007 WK 

Garage
Replaced the horn on my 07, you just have to pull back the skirting in front of the passenger side tire. I replaced with a cheap Ebay part that had the factory plug on it, and it died again in less than 6 months. I also tried splicing in a small airhorn which also died shortly after and caused problems with the factory horn honking when I locked the car. So now Im on round 3, looking for a replacement that has decent volume and a life longer than 6 months.

Tip: jack up the Jeep, pull the tire off. Makes replacement a lot easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/ OME HD / 255/75/17 BFG AT / Rubicon Wheels / 1.25 Spacers / Yakima Loadwarrior / Dual LED Bars
post #8 of 8 Old 04-25-2018, 09:05 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

could the problem be the "clock spring" in the steering wheel. on mine if i dont hit the pad in a certian place the horn doesnt work.
i understand that replacing the spring requires removing the air bag. may not be a job for us amitures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in