2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo: Starting problems - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
thomsoni
2009 KL Cherokee 

Garage
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo: Starting problems

I recently bought a used 2009 Grand Cherokee Laredo model with about 176,000km on it for seasonal use at my cottage in Ontario, and for towing a small aluminum fishing boat around (<1000lb).

Last year I was driving it across country (after extensive repairs at a Calgary dealership), and the engine just turned off on the highway. After pulling over in Saskatchewan, the engine restarted OK and I proceeded without any problems to Ontario..about a 3000km trip in total. At the cottage one day, the ignition key would not work at all (not even a crank) and I had it towed into a Sudbury dealership where they installed a new ignition module plus got two new key fobs. This summer, it died once again after a 3 hour trip south, after it had been parked for hours. All the engine warning lights came on, including some I had never seen before and the engine refused to even crank. After waiting awhile, it finally restarted with only the check engine light remaining. As I was about 1/4 full, I went to a nearby Esso and filled up and then the vehicle was parked for a couple of weeks with the check engine light showing. After returning to the vehicle 2 weeks later, it started normally without the check engine light on and I drive it north for 3 hours to the cottage with no problems. Later I drove it an hours drive into Sudbury and parked it. It would not restart in the parking lot and had a lot of warning lights on. I plugged in a new code reader I had bought and it suggested a cylinder 5 misfire...although the engine had been running smoothly (unlike the year before when I had to have all sparkplugs and a new coil put in on one of the cylinders). I ended up clearing the codes. I had it towed to a nearby car repair shop, where the mechanic indicated it might need a new Totally Integrated Power Module. (the Ignition Module had been replaced the summer before). The mechanic told me the TIPM was kind of like the brain for the Jeep, controlling lots of sensors etc.

So now my Jeep needs a new brain. I just want a vehicle that starts and stops reliably and will not leave me stranded. Your thoughts (I'm no mechanic)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 05:41 PM
904block

You know if you turn the key in the on and off position 3 times it will show you the check engine light codes . Just look up Key dance on youtube for 05-10 Jeep's but have they check the crank position sensor? But if you changed the plugs with new coils then I would look it the Injector for cylinder #5
post #3 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 08:19 PM
NoTime42

I’m not a Jeep expert, but a lot of that almost sounds like battery problems.

Last month, my MIL’s said her Olds air stopped working. A few days later she said her car was acting weird, sent a picture with lots of dash lights on, and made it home..where it wouldn’t start. Her serpentine belt broke, which explained her lack of A/C and the dead battery.

I don’t think it’s the same belt issue, but I’d try to verify the battery and power cables are good.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
thomsoni
2009 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Thanks for the key dance suggestion. I will give it a try the next time the car acts up. As for the battery suggestion
..its practically brand new and is fully charged. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I also have a new serpentine belt.

Secondly I will have the mechanic check the crank position sensor as well on Monday
post #5 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 06:39 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsoni View Post
I just want a vehicle that starts and stops reliably and will not leave me stranded. Your thoughts (I'm no mechanic)
I have owned Jeep Grand Cherokees for 25 years. A Jeep Grand Cherokee can be that vehicle if it is properly maintained. These vehicles are expensive to operate (repairs, maintenance, and preventative maintenance) and the one you have is currently 10 years old. Expect to spend about $3,000 bringing the vehicle current in maintenance, repairs, and preventive maintenance.

Regarding your issue of the vehicle dying on you and then restarting and running fine I would be testing the Crank Sensor, Cam Sensor, and Fuel pump. Not sure how to react to the cylinder #5 misfire at this point as one misfiring cylinder will not stop an engine. The misfire may be something related to the Crank and/or Cam sensor possibly not working well.

+++++++++++
Below is a story for background information only. It is probably not your issue. Read at your own risk.

Jeeps do not like third party parts in their electronics. Some Jeep owners when they have a bad crank sensor install a non-OEM third party crank sensor to save money. These third party sensors do not work well. Car will run, car will die, car will run, and no trouble codes will present except maybe a misfire that did not occur. As soon as the crank sensor is replaced with an OEM crank sensor, the problem goes away. I am not saying that this is your issue. However, what if the stalling was the reason that the previous owner sold the Jeep. What if the previous owner tried to save money and installed a third party Crank Sensor. Is that possible, could you be that lucky, who knows. Good luck.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
thomsoni
2009 KL Cherokee 

Garage
re suggestions

RC1300: Thanks for the followup 3 questions to ask the mechanic on Monday. And also the note on non OEM parts. I think the only non OEM part installed (last year) at least to my knowlege was the replacement catalytic converter
post #7 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 10:57 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsoni View Post
RC1300: Thanks for the followup 3 questions to ask the mechanic on Monday. And also the note on non OEM parts. I think the only non OEM part installed (last year) at least to my knowlege was the replacement catalytic converter
Did the person who replaced the Converter also replace some Oxygen Sensors? These are electronic parts of the vehicle. Check this. Third Party Oxygen Sensors do not work well with Jeep Electronics. There are two Oxygen Sensors before the Catalytic Converter and two Oxygen Sensors after the Catalytic Converter.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 01:57 AM
Mehayool

Question for the OP, does the English turn over? The issue I had with our 09 WK w/ the 3.7 is the starter. The 2 wires that attach to it, (pos & gnd) are basically speaker wire connections.Same tab contact can be found on a cheap speaker. I thought I had major problems too, I bought a new starter and saw that, then crimped the hell out of the old connectors and no more issues.

It would randomly not start. The dash lights would come on but no start, I thought it was the key, or the computer. bought new keys too. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in