2008 WK 3.0 diesel - where to buy injectors? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-15-2021, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
ZXJohn
2008 WK 

2008 WK 3.0 diesel - where to buy injectors?

Jay the Grey Jeep (it's Greystone, so it's actually beige) is in for its 250,000 mile engine overhaul. I read scary stories about the timing chains in the OM642, how on some of the later OM642's, owners were lucky to get 60,000 miles out of a timing chain - fortunately the 2008 WK is not listed among the problem vehicles. But I had the tensioner checked - by looking down the oil fill hole at it - and sure enough, it's all the way out; and Jay does briefly clatter when starting it on cold mornings, which we get a lot of here.

But its other BIG issue was an oil leak - or at least, I thought it was. The two notorious oil leaks on the OM642 are the oil cooler seals and the rear main oil seal; but what oil I saw coming off the block, seemed to be running back on the outside of the passenger-side head - so, not coming from where I thought an oil leak from the above two sources should show-up. Then I had a glance under the foam noise-deadener on the passenger-side valve cover, and surprise! - it looked like a swamp in the oil patch. So, a fuel leak, not an oil leak - and at that point, I took it in and said, could they replace the timing chains while they were at it? It was understood that the job would cost more than the Jeep is worth, but at this point on a 2008 with 250,000 miles, an oil change costs more than Jay is worth. But whatever I end-up paying will still be less than a year's payments on something new.

So they lifted the passenger side noise-deadener, and gave me the good news - it's neither an oil leak nor a fuel leak. It's a compression leak from around the #2 injector. "Mommeee..." Long story short, they say the head is alright - but four of the injectors are leaking. Well, I pity the poor fool who don't see where this is headed - don't play around, replace all six of 'em. I did the same thing with the glow plugs when I went in for a code on one, and the shop lady told me there's a code on two of them - replace 'em all, and have done with that little source of continued expense and frustration. But so you know, MOPAR wants $82 (Canadian) each for glow plugs, you can get 'em from parts houses in the 'States for $18 each.

Anybody know the best place to buy new injectors for a 2008 WK OM642 that predates Bluetec?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-19-2021, 04:44 PM
Xmind
2007 WK 

Garage
https://www.idparts.com/ is the most comprehensive site specifically for our engines and their prices aren't bad. Rockauto.com also has a couple options.

Not a bad idea to replace the injectors at that age, but likely they are leaking not due to a bad injector, but due to a bad seal. Chirpz has a guide on cleaning and replacing those seals. New seal and bolt kit is cheap. https://www.idparts.com/injector-ins...60-p-6433.html

'07 GC CRD QDII
post #3 of 7 Old 10-20-2021, 08:36 AM
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

Make sure you get the copper injector sealing washers new, IDparts sells them as a kit with new injector bolts which should be replaced as they are stretch bolts. Injectors will not be cheap, rebuilds are hit or miss. All new injectors will have to be coded to the ecu when installed, so make sure you have a scanner that will do this or your shop does. Not hard, but more involved than just simply swapping in new parts.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-20-2021, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
ZXJohn
2008 WK 

Yeah, cost-wise, I've seen $400 - $700 per injector. And not into reman's, just because of the pressure that system runs under - which is also why I would not even think of trying the job by myself. I'll mention the re-code to ECU next time I talk to them; my main mechanic has somebody working there who's worked in South America and the U.K., and has experience with Better Ideas From Mercedes Benz. *Sigh*
post #5 of 7 Old 10-20-2021, 04:45 PM
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

I wouldn't sweat the work, few things are easily accessible in these engines and injectors is one of them. Don't fret the pressures, when off it's minimal, and depressurizing the system is not difficult. If the injector is not stuck, getting them out is also straight forward. <br />
<br />
The biggest issue is the cost. With these types of piezo injectors it is generally recommended to address only those that are bad and cant be revived with a diesel purge cleaning. The compression leak is a failed copper injector seal. Normally if the injector is good, you pull it, clean the carbon, install new copper washer and reinstall the injector. If you do keep injectors, make sure to note them as to what cylinder or location they were for and place back in same, no coding required. New injectors will have to be identified via their serial number and assigned to the cylinder they are installed to. You do this in the ecu with a decent quality code reader. Not hard, just extra steps.<br />
<br />
Good luck and let us know what you find/do.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-20-2021, 07:45 PM
Brit30-06
2008 WK 

Not sure if this is the case in America, but here in UK, Mercedes are much cheaper on parts than Jeep dealer.

I would be happy with Bosch factory re-manufactured if they offered a substantial saving on new.

They must be coded in by a proper scan tool to work properly.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-21-2021, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
ZXJohn
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit30-06 View Post
I would be happy with Bosch factory re-manufactured if they offered a substantial saving on new.
Yeah, here too. The prevailing wisdom here is, "Buy parts for these engines from Mercedes - because even Mercedes doesn't charge as much for parts as Chrysler does!"

It's even worse as it's a Jeep. I remember back when I bought my first 'Jeep' - a 1988 AMC Eagle (and yeah I know, the last year of Eagle was 1987 - but this one was a 1988, we still got recalls on it) that had "intermittent" headlights; not a good thing. Having learned - almost the hard way - that electrical switches are ALWAYS bought new, I ordered a new headlight switch for it. When it came in, I asked to see a headlight switch from a Mirada, which they had on the shelf - the two were identical. Only difference was the Eagle switch had a "J" in front of the part #, and cost twice as much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in