2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Swirl motor - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-16-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
nagniblack

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Swirl motor

I cant find any answers regarding this so I need some help 08 grand cherokee diesel. Got a swirl flap code before not sure what it was.. gave my mechanic 4.7K ohm 1/4watt resistors and i have changed the resistor again the car is very sluggish at low rpms and getting these codes even after deleting them. Swirl flaps need to be fixed then? TIA

Attached Thumbnails
swirlsss.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-18-2019, 11:23 AM
Wrangie

I think that the best sollution is to remove the whole swirl system and weld his intake mountings
post #3 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Jambalam

2007 WK 

Garage
If you have the swirl motor mod with the correct resistor, I would not assume this is related. With those code descriptions I would think you need a new sensor somewhere. I think there is a pedal position sensor somewhere (throttle sensor?) that can be replaced for fairly cheap. Or possibly could be just a Mass Airflow Sensor or something of the sort.

2007 Grand Cherokee Limited CRD.
2006 Grand Cherokee Larado 3.7 V6.
Denver,CO

post #4 of 20 Old 07-12-2021, 03:48 AM
Gowerbikes

I have exactly the same issue, codes keep coming back after resistor mod did you find another sensor that was causing this ?? Thx R
post #5 of 20 Old 07-12-2021, 06:58 AM
Brit30-06
2008 WK 

Hi
I have never come across the P2008 on a Diesel Jeep so i am keen to know about this.

Have you checked your turbo actuator? This will also trip a P1270. What warning lights are showing on the panel?
post #6 of 20 Old 07-13-2021, 03:58 AM
Gowerbikes

Turbo actuator appears to be working correctly, see the linkage moving as it should, resistor mod is throwing constant code of P2010. I can remove it (code)run the engine for hours, soon as it’s turned off for more then a couple of minutes, on restart it pops up again the (P2010 code) seems odd it would keep coming back.?On the Jeep I think the swirl motor is the only sensor that feeds to ECM on this code, as it’s now got the 4.7 resistor it’s not connected to the ECM ? So far this mod is not working on this 2008 Jeep OM 642 3L Diesel. Wondering if any of the folks in the forum have had a similar or the same experience.. thanks for responding R
post #7 of 20 Old 07-15-2021, 03:55 AM
Gowerbikes

Sorry did not answer your question on dash lights 30-06(I used to own one) yes just a engine symbol, and using the Resistor mod, it keeps a p2010 and if I plug it back into swirl motor I get a P2008, no limp at this stage just these 2 msgs, I have it now with 2 nd resistor 4.7 1/4w and still the same? Appreciate any thought you might have, thx R
post #8 of 20 Old 07-15-2021, 07:05 AM
Brit30-06
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowerbikes View Post
Sorry did not answer your question on dash lights 30-06(I used to own one) yes just a engine symbol, and using the Resistor mod, it keeps a p2010 and if I plug it back into swirl motor I get a P2008, no limp at this stage just these 2 msgs, I have it now with 2 nd resistor 4.7 1/4w and still the same? Appreciate any thought you might have, thx R
Hi
Yes i have a 30-06. You need to get another one

I am trying to relate your problem with mine when i had the P1270 code. I had check engine light and the red 'zig zag' light. Mine was fixed with the resistor mod. Mine was in limp mode.

Is the P1270 still active now you have fitted the resistor? Please do not be insulted when i ask have you put the resistor in the correct holes? Middle 2 of the 4 if memory serves.

99% of the Jeeps sold in UK were diesel. I have had a search around the UK forums and nothing is coming back about the P2008 and 2010 codes. A bit of a head scratcher is this one.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-15-2021, 09:38 AM
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

Agree with Brit30-06 check that the resistor is seated in the right location. Also make sure that the resistor fits securely, with the very thin legs on these you likely need to create a tear drop loop in the leg (fold the leg back on itself loosely) to ensure you have good contact with the plug end. Although P2008 and 2010 are not common on these, on other similar vehicles it has been shown that an intermittent connection can throw these codes. If it's not the resistor, it could be in the plug or harness, both codes point to an open circuit. Also make sure that when you clear the codes with your scan tool, that you also clear any stored codes as well. Some scanners only clear active codes, but leave stored codes in memory which can pop up again if not cleared.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-15-2021, 12:59 PM
Gowerbikes

Gentlemen, thank you both for your thoughts and experiences and prompt response.. no offence taken, yes I have had 2 resistors in the middle 2 pin slots even soldered on 16 gauge
Solid copper wire to both legs of resistor for a tight fit, connecter wiring checks out getting 5v on the power leg, Ground wire is good, pulled the ECM connecter off under battery box, put dielectric grease in it no sign of corrosion, did not yet do a continuity test from the SW motor plug to ECM point to point but as checked out with ignition on readings seemed to be fine. Still getting P2010 in a “pending mode “after clearing it .. so it’s locked into the ECM somehow, wiring issue ??? As said if I plug back into the SW motor it throws a P2008, shame really as I love the way these drive and feel, really solid vehicle, be great to find out the why. Again thank you guys for taking time to try to help, much appreciated Rog
post #11 of 20 Old 07-16-2021, 07:02 AM
Brit30-06
2008 WK 

Hi Rog.

Is the P1270 code gone now? It is odd that the code reader says 'accelerator pedal position sensor'. This code should read 'intake manifold runner (swirl) performance'.

It is odd that the scan tool will not clear the 'pending' code too. Is it a quality scan tool? Not all work well with Jeep.

I wish i could be more helpful, although to be fair you seem pretty switched on with your electrical knowledge.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-16-2021, 08:06 AM
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

Hi Rog,
You seem to have done all of the basics. Electrical issues can be a real pain to isolate and fix. Based on your last comments the only two things that come to mind would be to check/clean the ground posts on the drivers side fender well. I imagine the one closest to the fuse box handles most of the electrical components in the rear drivers quarter of the engine including EGR and Swirl Valve etc. These Jeeps seem very sensitive to ground issues. The other thing would be to possibly go to just 1 resistor in the swirl valve harness, if indeed you have two resistors installed in parallel. I could not follow if you have tried with 2 separate resistors, each of them giving the same codes or if you doubled up and have a mod that is comprised of 2 resistors. If the latter, that could be affecting the signal that the ECU is reading. All I can think of. Best of luck.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-17-2021, 01:49 AM
Gowerbikes

Thanks Both. Just wanted to clarify my info sorry if it comes over muddled sometimes.
The 2 resistors I have had in were separate ones ( thought one was faulty maybe, so not in tandem) never had the other code P1270.. only P2010 when resistor plugged into harness, and P2008 when plugged back into swirl motor, no my scanner is not a high class one and will only clear the codes on the ECM that are stored but does not clear the “Pending p2010” even if done p0210 seems to pop back after starting. So will see if I can find the GNDs, as all else has been done. The P2008 and P2010 are associated with high bank runner, voltage out of range ( so faulty Swirl sensor-) strange thing here though is as if plug is not connected to the motor the only signal back is the resistor to ECM ?? Both ones I have tried test ok 4.7 1/4 Watt. It’s getting frustrating as not sure what try next, will check GNDs anyway but I think I’ve done then some time back, thanks guys Rog
post #14 of 20 Old 07-17-2021, 07:18 PM
Gowerbikes

Update on what was done today. July 17 21 Pulled the main connector to PCM/ECM, continuity tested from 3 pin connector to the main connector sounded out just fine on the meter .. so 5V and signal line are ok, no sign of corrosion anywhere. Went to a auto shop tried to clear Pending P2010 .. no deal, Checked and rechecked the connection on middle two pins, All good put it all back together .. yup P2010 still there, maybe a PCM fault,?even though it’s very rare .. but?? Anyway thought I’d share what was done to date, again thanks for trying to shine a ray of hope on this issue Cheers Rog
post #15 of 20 Old 07-17-2021, 07:55 PM
Gowerbikes

Forgot to include , both GNDs on Drivers side pulled and cleaned, no corrosion in either one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in