2008 4.7L Limited GC Storing - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bilko
  • 1 Post By Gray203m

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-11-2021, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

2008 4.7L Limited GC Storing

I've held on to my 2008 GC limited 4.7L intending upon making it my next beach buggy. 186,000 miles, runs great, remote start still works after couple weeks of sitting. I take it for a spin occasionally..get it up to speed, had it serviced as needed (last check, oil change Feb. this year), but am wondering...is there anything else I should be doing? Most likely it will sit for longer periods later on, any advice on maintaining weeks of not starting? My last buggy (a 97) sometimes sat for weeks or a month or more....would just have to jump it. TY!

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-17-2021, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

Anyone??

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #3 of 12 Old 09-18-2021, 02:10 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

All you need is battery tender, or pull the IOD fuse when parked more than 2 weeks.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-19-2021, 03:30 PM
Bilko

Park it someplace where you don't need to apply the parking brake to prevent them from seizing.

A battery minder is the main thing you need, even with the engine off these vehicles never 100% shut down all the electronic systems so there is always going to be some residual drain. Technically the minder is supposed to be connected directly to the battery but they seem to work fine if you connect them to the jump-start terminals under the hood.

Many include a fused 12V lead that you can attach to the terminals and route out the radiator grill, you may need to extend this due to the location of the jumpstart terminals.

Just realized you are talking about a 2008, I don't think this has the complication of the battery being located under the front seat so forget the above about jump start terminals
post #5 of 12 Old 09-20-2021, 08:11 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

I store mine for 6 spring, summer, early fall months out of the year. I put it on Jack Stands so the tires do not go out of round and also connect a battery tender on a timer. The timer comes on once/day for two hours each time. Has worked fine for the last 5 years. Also, depending on your environment, I live in the snow belt, you may want to have fluid film sprayed liberally on the under carriage to prevent rust.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-20-2021, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

Thanks all; I don't need to "store" it for multiple months, as I can always get to it and drive it...it may go month and a half or so. The battery tender is not an option. Also, I've long been aware of fluid film but a very mechanical friend informed me that sand would stick to it and accumulate, so I don't think that's an option either. I always relied on hosing down the undercarriage and such, but in that environment the rust seems to be inevitable when jeep just sits.

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #7 of 12 Old 09-20-2021, 04:29 PM
Bilko

If the battery becomes a problem, you can buy one of the small Lithium-Ion battery jump starters. They work surprisingly well even on big engines.
Homer1 likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-21-2021, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
If the battery becomes a problem, you can buy one of the small Lithium-Ion battery jump starters. They work surprisingly well even on big engines.
..have one and I agree!

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #9 of 12 Old 09-21-2021, 04:15 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1 View Post
Thanks all; I don't need to "store" it for multiple months, as I can always get to it and drive it...it may go month and a half or so. The battery tender is not an option. Also, I've long been aware of fluid film but a very mechanical friend informed me that sand would stick to it and accumulate, so I don't think that's an option either. I always relied on hosing down the undercarriage and such, but in that environment the rust seems to be inevitable when jeep just sits.
My Jeep sits for several weeks at a time in the summer when I have my fun car out. I keep an automatic battery charger on it when it's parked, but as you say, that isn't an option. In that case, pull the IOD fuse when you park it. That will reduce battery draw to almost nothing when it's off.

You could try using a small solar panel to keep the battery topped up as well.

As mentioned, a little battery booster is handy in case the battery does get low. I keep a lithium one in my Jeep and it only needs topping up a couple times a year, even at -40
Homer1 likes this.

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #10 of 12 Old 09-26-2021, 06:17 PM
Bilko

Most lead-acid batteries, even if they are AGM do not like to be in a discharged state so a cheap solar charger could be a good option if your vehicle is outside. I see some that you plug into an always-on 12V outlet, I have never used one of these so can't comment on the electiveness but the theory appears to be sound.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-27-2021, 12:15 AM
3Recon

2009 WK 

I like to put a electric rodent trap (AA batteries) in my vehicles. I can't drive them all plus I have a little acreage and those little rascal's like not being disturbed.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-27-2021, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

Solar charger is something I will research; rodents not a problem....vehicle outside, and even then the foxes will get them Thanks both!

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in