2008 4.7 possible oil leak? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-23-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Arneb04

2008 WK 

2008 4.7 possible oil leak?

So a couple weekends ago I needed to change my oil. I was away from home and didnt have ramps or anything. Thankfully with it lifted I didn't need them at all and was able to drop the oil with no issue. I had not noticed any oil leaking before this. I moved up front to drop the filter, and I did, literally drop the filter with oil going everywhere. Not all the oil came out, but a fair amount did, hit the driveway and no doubt stayed up on the skid plate. I kept an eye on it for a few days and of course there was oil coming down the little chute in the front and dripping on the driveway. It seems like every time I drive it, it will continue to drip oil.

Yesterday I had a couple hour drive on the freeway towing a boat. When I got home I noticed the front of the boat was covered in grease spots. I went to my vehicle and looked underneath and the skid plate was covered in oil, the oil filter had oil dripping down it, and again there was more dripping off that front chute. Can this possibly all be from spilling the filter that I took off? How long should I reasonably let this go before getting concerned? Could it be a bad oil filter? Really not sure where to start other than possibly taking it to the carwash and have the undercarriage blasted and then see if it still drips on the driveway. Are these engines prone to oil leaks? I don't feel like I've ever heard of this being a problem on the 4.7s.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-23-2019, 12:10 PM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

I’d make sure the filter is tight. Spray the whole area down with some brake cleaner. Make sure everything is clean and dry, then take it for a ride and check.

If it’s wet again, try another oil filter. I use Mopar on mine. Top up the oil after as the filter holds a fair amount.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-23-2019, 12:59 PM
Kman09JGC

2016 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneb04 View Post
So a couple weekends ago I needed to change my oil. I was away from home and didnt have ramps or anything. Thankfully with it lifted I didn't need them at all and was able to drop the oil with no issue. I had not noticed any oil leaking before this. I moved up front to drop the filter, and I did, literally drop the filter with oil going everywhere. Not all the oil came out, but a fair amount did, hit the driveway and no doubt stayed up on the skid plate. I kept an eye on it for a few days and of course there was oil coming down the little chute in the front and dripping on the driveway. It seems like every time I drive it, it will continue to drip oil.

Yesterday I had a couple hour drive on the freeway towing a boat. When I got home I noticed the front of the boat was covered in grease spots. I went to my vehicle and looked underneath and the skid plate was covered in oil, the oil filter had oil dripping down it, and again there was more dripping off that front chute. Can this possibly all be from spilling the filter that I took off? How long should I reasonably let this go before getting concerned? Could it be a bad oil filter? Really not sure where to start other than possibly taking it to the carwash and have the undercarriage blasted and then see if it still drips on the driveway. Are these engines prone to oil leaks? I don't feel like I've ever heard of this being a problem on the 4.7s.

I had this happen in my 09 4.7 after I changed my oil. It used to leak down the side of the oil filter. I donít know if it was the oil filter or a bad seal on the oil filter but it used to drive me nuts. It wasnít a bad leak but it always left a small puddle of oil in the garage. Also make sure oil gasket from old oil filter didnít stick on. It was an off and on thing but never fight out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09 laredo 28x 4.7 w/QD2 Superchip w/91 perf tune w/ trans app, jet 180 tstat,K&N CAI, bistein 5100 struts and shocks, srt8 front and rear swaybars, 255/65/17 General Grabber at2's.
Black WK Club #107

post #4 of 6 Old 09-23-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Arneb04

2008 WK 

Just out of curiosity, how thin is transfer case lube? I have to imagine pretty thick, and the stuff dripping from the skid plate is definitely not thick. I just don’t want to put my t-case at risk if I keep driving it. Oil level reads normal.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-30-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Arneb04

2008 WK 

Well I dropped the skid plate. Underneath, I can't tell what is wet from leaks, and what is wet from the leak itself causing oil to cover everything. Filter was not double gasketed. Strange deal. No leaks at valve covers, might be a slight weep from the front of the pan. Nothing looks out of the ordinary. I just for the life of me can't imagine the amount I spilled out of the oil filter could hang around that long. But. I have to guess maybe that's it. I did ask the shop to look at it. I'm hoping since they can lift it up they might get a better angle at some things. I'll post results of that I guess.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-30-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Arneb04

2008 WK 

Actually just heard back from the shop. 3 leaks: oil sending unit, crank seal, and also a transfer case seal. All in all, pretty cheap fixes. Thankfully no mains.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in