1Likes
  • 1 Post By 08zombie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-23-2020, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
2008-2010 WK HID lighting upgrade

Has anyone with a 2008-2010 WK upgraded to HID headlights? I have factory halogen housings and swapped LEDs into the low beams when I purchased the Jeep. I've since come to realize that they are terrible and I want to upgrade.

I know the easiest/cheapest upgrade would be to a 9011 for the low beam, but I really prefer the look of a more pure white/white-blue light.

So has anyone swapped to HID projectors? Did you use OEM housings? Aftermarket? Retrofit projectors into halogen housings or cheap aftermarket housings? Were you happy with the outcome?

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-23-2020, 09:29 AM
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
I personally went the overcomplicated retrofit route here (the pictures are all gone after that photobucket disaster but the text is still there): https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/...oject-3396850/
I'm thrilled with how mine came out. It's not a HID retrofit but it fits the bill. I'll see if I can post a photo.

I've posted this a few times around here but here's some info:
Use a set of 2008-2010 OEM (or OEM replica) headlights. You'll need to buy the following: Headlights, Valeo Ballasts (2), D1s Bulbs & Relay Harness w/ capacitor (the PWN system on the Jeeps requires this).

The replica headlights (made by brands like TYC and Eagle Eye) use subpar projectors. They do the job but the projector bowl is not as reflective as the OEM Valeo projectors. Make sure the headlights are bulb type "D1S". A lot of folks buy the Spyder projector headlights and use HID bulbs in them. That's the wrong thing to do because the Spyder lights are designed for halogen bulbs (H1).
Bangarng likes this.

Check My Threads For These Builds:
WK LED Headlight Quad Retrofit
WK Morimoto LED Foglights
post #3 of 12 Old 01-23-2020, 09:31 AM
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
If the images above don't work please let me know!

post #4 of 12 Old 01-23-2020, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08zombie View Post
I personally went the overcomplicated retrofit route
I just looked at the thread. Results sure look great, but that's way too time intensive for my current level of free time

Quote:
replica headlights (made by brands like TYC and Eagle Eye) use subpar projectors. They do the job but the projector bowl is not as reflective as the OEM Valeo projectors.
Ya I looked at a lot of those replicas and most actually say for halogen. I've also read that the size and shape of the projector, lense, and cut-off is significantly different between a halogen projector and a HID projector. That being said, I feel like these cheap halogen projector housings would make for a faster HID or LED projector retrofit

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
post #5 of 12 Old 01-23-2020, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
If the images above don't work please let me know!
Images came through. Those look amazing, and I love the halogen projector for the high beam

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
post #6 of 12 Old 01-23-2020, 09:59 AM
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray203m View Post
I just looked at the thread. Results sure look great, but that's way too time intensive for my current level of free time

Ya I looked at a lot of those replicas and most actually say for halogen. I've also read that the size and shape of the projector, lense, and cut-off is significantly different between a halogen projector and a HID projector. That being said, I feel like these cheap halogen projector housings would make for a faster HID or LED projector retrofit
Thanks! It took quite a bit of time. I went Halogen high beam honestly because it's super easy.

Replicas like this are HID: https://www.1aauto.com/2008-10-jeep-...=580374&y=2008

Size/shape/lens/cutoff shield are definitely different from HID to Halogen. Almost every HID projector is different from one another too. They all have different properties (cutoff/hotspot/width).

If you like the style of the Spyder lights then you could definitely open them and swap the projectors out. TRS makes a kit (But I'd contact them and see if you can use the better quality Morimoto projector and not the ACME stuff): https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...ik-spyder.html

Someone makes an OEM HID lookalike that has a 9006 halogen projector inside. I can't find them right now but you could always use one of those too.

post #7 of 12 Old 01-24-2020, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Someone makes an OEM HID lookalike that has a 9006 halogen projector inside. I can't find them right now but you could always use one of those too.
So the more I research parts and look through your conversion, the retrofit option is starting to look better and better. To get oem headlight assemblies/bulbs/ballasts and wiring I'm looking at least $600 CAD.

Usings an aftermarket halogen projector like this:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mp...2F193254301867
With either the spyder retro-quik:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/mor...C54403%2C47308
Or mini-h1 retro-quik:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/mor...universal.html
Would be a little cheaper, and probably provide better lighting (maybe?) And not take a whole lot more time to build.

What're your thoughts?

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
post #8 of 12 Old 01-24-2020, 09:04 AM
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray203m View Post
So the more I research parts and look through your conversion, the retrofit option is starting to look better and better. To get oem headlight assemblies/bulbs/ballasts and wiring I'm looking at least $600 CAD.

Usings an aftermarket halogen projector like this:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mp...2F193254301867
With either the spyder retro-quik:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/mor...C54403%2C47308
Or mini-h1 retro-quik:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/mor...universal.html
Would be a little cheaper, and probably provide better lighting (maybe?) And not take a whole lot more time to build.

What're your thoughts?
Looks like you've nailed it! It'll definitely provide much better light output.

My advice would be to buy just the assemblies first. That way you can open them up and use the halogen projector for measurements (Honestly you could try out the lights with Halogen bulbs and see how you feel... It might be exactly what you're looking for without additional work). Also it can be frustrating at times during a retrofit project like this so take it slow. Join up at HIDPlanet.com for additional resources (I'm over there too).

I do my best to answer PMs and the guys at TRS are extremely knowledgeable and should be able to help you out too.

post #9 of 12 Old 01-24-2020, 09:15 AM
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
I sent you a PM just now. Let me know if it didn't go through (It's not showing up in my sent folder).

post #10 of 12 Old 01-24-2020, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
I sent you a PM just now. Let me know if it didn't go through (It's not showing up in my sent folder).
PM came through. Thank you for that. I did message the guys at TRS asking about some options.

These cheap housings I'm looking at aren't certified for on road use, so I'm betting the reflectors aren't awesome and only really for show. I do mostly highway driving and probably 3/4 of that is in the dark, so the actual light output is fairly important lol

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
post #11 of 12 Old 01-25-2020, 09:34 PM
Bangarng
2010 WK 

Quote:
A lot of folks buy the Spyder projector headlights and use HID bulbs in them. That's the wrong thing to do because the Spyder lights are designed for halogen bulbs (H1).
That's what I did and wish I did it correctly. Listen to 08Zombie, spend a little extra and do it correctly.

H1 HIDS in Halogens aren't terrible but there is some scatter so I have to point them lower to avoid being 'that guy'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangarng View Post
Quote:
A lot of folks buy the Spyder projector headlights and use HID bulbs in them. That's the wrong thing to do because the Spyder lights are designed for halogen bulbs (H1).
That's what I did and wish I did it correctly. Listen to 08Zombie, spend a little extra and do it correctly.

H1 HIDS in Halogens aren't terrible but there is some scatter so I have to point them lower to avoid being 'that guy'.
I ended up ordering these lights, and once they arrive i'll take the projector out and measure it so I can order retro-fit bi-xenon projectors from TRS
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200126-133544_eBay_1580067366858.jpg  

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in