2007 Jeep Laredo Clunky Sound Please HELP ! - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By YouStupidBunny
  • 1 Post By YouStupidBunny

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-25-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
aiakos

2007 Jeep Laredo Clunky Sound Please HELP !

Hey everyone , I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. Recently I have this clunky metallic sound coming from under driver seat. This sound only occurs when i accelerate hard from a stop.It feels like it is trying to catch transmission teeth or something . The reason i say that because while the sound occurs the car is not pulling as powerful.IT feels like slipping something. I removed the front driveshaft and replace the cv joint that connects with rear because it looked pretty bad. However even after replacing the bad cv joint the problem still exist. I have also checked the front wheel bearing . The driver side wheel seems stable no significant play or sound. I have also inspected front axle and control arms they look in good shape. One thing i notice out of ordinary which was a bolt on the front differential case was completely loose which i tighten back its place. Please advise. Thanks

This how it sounds please check ;

Front Driveshaft video before cv joint replacement;

Thank you all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-26-2019, 07:07 PM
JeepN_A_CJ7

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Have you ever replaced the front differential mount bushings? They are the “Achilles heal” for the WK, if they are bad they will cause problems for other components on the front end. I had to change mine, then a month later my front driveshaft. I know all WK owners sooner or later will have to change them if that’s their daily driver!

Always Jeepin!

*2007 WK QDII HEMI
*1980 CJ7 4.2L w/FAST FI

Silver WK Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-28-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
aiakos

Thanks for the reply. No i have not replaced them. I will definitely look into that.is it hard to replace them?

post #4 of 7 Old 07-28-2019, 09:20 PM
JeepN_A_CJ7

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiakos View Post
Thanks for the reply. No i have not replaced them. I will definitely look into that.is it hard to replace them?
Needless to say I didn’t have an entire weekend to do it so I paid to have it done. It’s doable if you have the tools and know-how, but there’s plenty of YouTube videos for it!

Always Jeepin!

*2007 WK QDII HEMI
*1980 CJ7 4.2L w/FAST FI

Silver WK Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-28-2019, 10:55 PM
YouStupidBunny

2007 XK Commander 

To me, it didn't sound like the differential bushing(s). That most often presents as a clunk when shifting gears from a stop or over some bumps. In the video, it did sound like a slip on hard throttle. I would guess it's the CV axle shaft assembly. Specifically, the CV axle shaft assembly that rotates the driver side front wheel. It's time consuming, but unless your parts are rusted together, it's not a difficult task. Here's a video of the process:

JeepN_A_CJ7 likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-29-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
aiakos

I checked the driver axle. It looks solid. Driver axle boot looks in good condition but of course I can’t tell how it operates inside the boot. The teeth might be slipping. Do you think that I should also replace the other end of cv joint on the front drive shaft ? The side that connects to the front differential. As you can see it in the second video, it looks in okay shape but I hear the sound coming from that area the front connection area. I haven’t checked the bushings yet . I will update you all about that as well . Lastly will a bad front tranny bushing cause you to feel like car is slipping while making the sound ? Because the car feels like it’s trying to catch the teeth or something while it’s making the sound . Thanks
post #7 of 7 Old 07-29-2019, 06:58 PM
YouStupidBunny

2007 XK Commander 

Everything you've mentioned in the update still sounds like the problem is teeth slipping in the CV axle shaft assembly. Each is specific to driver or passenger side, but they are less than $75 each for the complete assembly. Rather than just repair the bad CV, I would just replace the entire CV axle shaft assembly. If that's the problem, hopefully there's no damage to the front differential. Afterwards, I'd order the passenger side since it's probably not far behind the driver side in failing.

In the meantime, try to avoid hard throttle.
JeepN_A_CJ7 likes this.

Tags
4x4 , driveshaft , jeep , noise , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in