1Likes
  • 1 Post By 90grandoneer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-04-2020, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
JoycePortik
2007 XK Commander 

2007 Commander mystery overheating

I have a 2007 Commander, 5.7 Hemi.

We have replaced the radiator, the hoses, the serpentine belt, thermostat, and are currently on the fourth water pump since getting the car. However, with no rhyme or reason, the temperature gauge will go up close the H, the fans kick on and cool it back down ... it may stay down to normal ... but then will appear to heat up again over the 3 mark heading to hot ... fans kick on and cool it again.

We have serviced and/or replaced pretty much everything we can to eliminate the problem. Since the fan is hydraulic and runs off of the power steering unit, we even checked the power steering fluid to see if there was any problem there. Checked for any kind of air pocket in the system that might cause this. None found.

Anyone else experience anything similar ... what was the problem? Joyce in NC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-04-2020, 06:16 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Welcome to thr forum, Joyce. A few questions:
--Are you sure the hydraulic fan will run on all speeds?
--Have you changed the temperature sensor for the gauge?
--What type of coolant are you using and are you using a 50-50 distilled water mix?
--Have you properly burped the cooling system to get all the air out? There is a specific procedure to do this correctly and, if not done, it will overheat.
--Have you pressure checked the entire system, including the radiator cap?
--Are you using rebuilt water pumps or new ones?
--What brand and temperature thermostat is installed? Is it installed correctly....with the small bleed valve facing up? Not all thermostats are a good quality.
--Have you put a good quality diagnostic scanner on the vehicle to see if there are any trouble codes? You can also check to see if the fan is coming on at the correct speeds for the higher engine temperatures. For instance in all 3 of my Hemi's I run 190 degree thermostats and have the fans set to come on as follows: Low=197*; Medium=203* and High=208*. Set this way none of them have ever gotten above about 214*.

Please let us know what you end up finding.
JoycePortik likes this.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-04-2020, 08:03 PM
Alex_

This sound like a head gasket is blown; you should perform a leak down test.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-05-2020, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
JoycePortik
2007 XK Commander 

Thank you for all this input. The thermostat and water pump were just installed at the dealership and the coolant system flushed. But, I am printing off all that you asked and plan on making an appt at the dealership again and have them check each and every thing you mentions.

One of the things in particular ... setting the temperatures ... how in particular is that done? What kind of equipment? Anything additional. I am asking for particulars on that because my husband took it to his son to see if he could check what temperatures it was set at ... but whatever equipment he had wouldn't let him do it. Thanks again and looking forward to your reply.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-05-2020, 03:53 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

If you took it to a Jeep dealer, one would think they know what they're doing, but I know that is not always true. When I bought my Jeep, used from a Jeep dealer, they didn't even know the correct weight oil to put in it. I also know that the cooling system is NOT rocket science and one would also think they could easily figure out what is going on. I also know that this isn't true, as you'll find many dealers (some call them stealers) rip-off stories on these forums. Some, once they get their hooks in you, rely on you not knowing enough about the vehicle to challenge anything they tell you, and will keep replacing parts at your expense until they either stumble on to the problem or they've bled you dry. Some are only "parts replacers" and don't have a clue about what they're working on, and will base all of their analysis on what their diagnostic tool tells them. (My guess is, that if you've been going to the stealer for all of this work, that you're into this well over $1000 and still don't have a completely serviceable vehicle.) I've owned my two 5.7 Hemi's for 10 and 16 years respectively and neither has ever been to a stealer for anything other than no cost to me recalls. I've also never had any "real" problems with either of them, but I do have almost all of the tools and test equipment I need for resolving most problems. Enough about some stealers.

If they installed a stock thermostat, which they more than likely did, it'll be a 203 degree temperature, and there should be no need to adjust the cooling fan start temperatures, unless you want them to come on earlier. IIRC, with the stock fan settings, they start coming on Low and just above 220 degrees and are on High by just under about 235 degrees. In any case, the dealer should have any and all of the equipment to check and diagnose everything that needs to be checked. If your kids want to do this sort of stuff, they would need several fairly expensive tools....and a couple "not so expensive" ones. IMO, with any of the newer vehicles (1996 on up) a relatively high quality computerized diagnostic scanner is needed, one that is capable of reading and diagnosing all of the vehicle modules. My Jeep has 23 different electronic modules. Another tool that would be helpful is one of the handheld tuners that will allow you to load various tunes into the computer and also a bunch of other stull, such as adjusting the cooling fan start temperatures. A cooling system pressure checking tool is relatively inexpensive and are available at some places like Harbor Freight. One BIG caution though is, when you're looking at diagnostic, and/or tuning toold, BE SURE they have the features you're looking for, as there are a zillion different diagnostic scanners available. There are only a few "good" tuning tools that are popular with many of the Chrysler folks on these forums. Another cautiion, most stealers won't do any troubleshooting or even hook up their diagnostic equipment for less than $100. If you don't get satisfaction from the stealer, you may want to either contact Chrysler directly and/or find a local trustworthy cooling system repair shop with a good reputation and have them take a look at it.

I hope everything works out for you guys. I hate to see this stuff going on but, unfortunately, on these forums, there is way too much of it.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in