Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2005 JGK with 5.7 needs motor mounts.

567 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Wrangler98 
#1 ·
My friends 2005 5.7 JGK needs both motor mounts replaced, I was told one is completely shot and the other one is barely holding on. I haven't had a chance to check it out myself but I'm trying to do some research to see how hard this is and I can't find squat. I found one reference to a dealer tool that holds up the motor but than another to being able to just use a jack but nothing specific. Has anyone done this or have a link that could help me out?

#2 ·
With everything in place it'll be a real PITA as with the front differential in the way it really makes it difficult. Perhaps, if there is a lot of miles on it and the front differential bushings have never been changed, you can kill two birds with one stone.....drop the diff. and change the bushings and also do the motor mounts. And yes, lifting the engine will be another problem, especially if the diff. is in the way.

Reactions: VA_57WK
#3 ·
Well I found plenty of videos on changing the differential bushings, that shouldn't be a problem. The jeep has 120k miles so they are probably worn out. It has a pretty heft clunk going into reverse which I figured was the motor mounts but could also be the diff bushings as well. One video showed the diff rocking when the transmission was engaged with worn bushings. I have found all the bushings/mounts in OEM style on rockauto, does anyone make a performance or poly style bushing for these? I tried searching but haven't found anything yet.

#4 ·
You may just need differential bushings and not motor mounts. My diff. bushing were history at about 80-85K, motor mounts are still going strong at 112K. I used stock bushings on mine, but I understand some folks have used the poly bushings. You may want to do a search here on the forum and see what you can find.

You can also check them by having someone shift back and forth from drive to reverse (brakes applied really good) and, staying away from the wheels, look under at the diff. and see how much it is moving. Works better if you have a hoist and can get it off the ground a little. If they're really bad, all you need do is a good visual on it without shifting back and forth.

#5 ·
That would be nice. My friend is bringing the jeep over on saturday so I can take a look. I'll definitely do the shift test and then get everything I need ordered. I did find some poly bushings on ebay but they are almost $400 for the set and they are coming from Egypt. I doubt my friend will go for that, she's having money troubles as it is, she just had to drop a grand to get the transmission fixed in this thing.

#6 ·
Ok, got to look at the jeep today, motor mounts are fine, it was the axle bushings the shop was referring too. My friend is kind of goofy when it comes to remembering car stuff, lol. Definitely a lot of movement there so I am ordering the superior performance poly bushings and a regular t bushing since those don't seem to wear nearly as bad.

#7 ·
Finally got this taken care of yesterday. Pulled the front diff and the top bushing sleeve had completely separated from it's housing, the other 2 were intact but definitely showing there age. I installed an OEM type front bushing and the superior performance round bushings. I used a ball joint press to get them in about half way then a little push with my hand popped them in the rest of the way. I noticed no extra vibrations from the poly bushing, only that there is no more clunk when selecting gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.