2Likes
  • 1 Post By Raffish
  • 1 Post By caulk04

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
MonsterWKHemi

Garage
08 WK Overlander 5.7 front CV half shaft problems

Hello fellow 7 sloters, I am new to forum but not new to my beloved money pit jeeps. I am hoping for some info that may help me with a issue Im having. My 08 WK is lifted 2 inches ( with spring and strut spacers ). I have replaced the CV half shaft on drivers side 3 times now, the shafts are o'reillys part and they warrantied the part. Yet again the boots are splitting and throwing grease all over my the under side and finder wells. Please help, any info on a better and inexpensive part is much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Raffish
2005 WK 

If you don't like your money you could get RCVs....

https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultim...-drive-ii.html
JeepN_A_CJ7 likes this.

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms
post #3 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
MonsterWKHemi

Garage
LOL ya i like it better than 2300, was seeing if theres a tougher one thatsa lil less than RCV

post #4 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 06:15 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterWKHemi View Post
Hello fellow 7 sloters, I am new to forum but not new to my beloved money pit jeeps. I am hoping for some info that may help me with a issue Im having. My 08 WK is lifted 2 inches ( with spring and strut spacers ). I have replaced the CV half shaft on drivers side 3 times now, the shafts are o'reillys part and they warrantied the part. Yet again the boots are splitting and throwing grease all over my the under side and finder wells. Please help, any info on a better and inexpensive part is much appreciated
Ive been running tracmotive from rock auto without issue, but Iím not lifted.
They are new not rebuilt and run about $70.

What is your centerhub to fender edge measurement?
Did you get an alignment after the lift? because thatís a must

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #5 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 08:14 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Are you certain you're getting the right shaft? Your overland will need the driver's side shaft for 'WITH' limited slip or however they list it.

I've had cardone units (not reman) for a couple years now and they're still fine.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #6 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 11:36 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Are you certain you're getting the right shaft? Your overland will need the driver's side shaft for 'WITH' limited slip or however they list it.

I've had cardone units (not reman) for a couple years now and they're still fine.
Good thought about the "right" CV axle... BUT, speaking from experience, you cannot put the wrong axle in. I had an extra Front lsd axle that I threw in my WK and I had to get the drivers side axle because my non lsd CV axle wouldn't work.

Back to @MonsterWKHemi , I also have an aftermarket axle on the drivers side... I cannot remember which parts house provided it (advance auto or NAPA, whichever one had it in stock so I could get it delivered and get home). I found the inner boot rubs on the lower control arm at full droop. It is a longer boot than the factory axle.

Also, to verify, your lift was with a spring AND spacer? so like 4+ inches? Your approaching the point of not being able to avoid this kind of damage if you are that tall.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 04:02 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
Good thought about the "right" CV axle... BUT, speaking from experience, you cannot put the wrong axle in...
I thought that might be the case, couldn't recall exactly off hand though.
2005JGC likes this.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
MonsterWKHemi

Garage
Thanks guys, I welcome the thoughts. Yes the lift was on my WK before I got it, and scince Ive replaced everything in front end with alignment. I ve not measured the hight of hub per the finders. The lift is just spacers on top on coil overs, the coil overs or also stock hight but are after market. 2005JGC, Im thinking your thought is whats going on in my case. While sitting still all looks to clear, Ill be Fixing AC and drivers rear wheel bearing this weekend, Ill put Monster up on jack stands on the frame to let full travel into suspension to check. Looks like another long sweaty, greesy and the potential blood loss weeked. But hey having a jeep is a love hate relationship lol. Thanks agian guys, ill post Monday of progress and hopfully not the lack of.

PS last night just for giggles, I looked on online after market parts places, seen a front diff lowering kit. what do yall thinkbout this. Is a 2 inch left warrent the $$ for this install. One of the pics showed the cross member cut out i didnt car for that being a reinforcement for the frame. any thoughts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in