Ď08 JGC CRD: loud turbo and infrequent ETC (Red Lightning Bolt of DEATH!) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-12-2021, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Curlybandit

Ď08 JGC CRD: loud turbo and infrequent ETC (Red Lightning Bolt of DEATH!)

Hello everyone.

I have a 2008 JGC CRD. I picked it up last year and drive it very infrequently.

Iíve noticed that within the last few weeks the sound of the turbo has increased. It doesnít sound like a high-pitched whine. It sounds like there a louder induction (whoosh) noise between 1000-2000RPM during acceleration. While accelerating the noise seems to go away or at least become much quieter. I had own a JGC CRD previously and it didnít make this kind of turbo noise.

Iíve also noticed recently that Iíll infrequently get the ETC red lightening bolt pop up after starting drive shortly after starting the car. It wonít come on right away but will after a few minutes. For example, it came on today when I went for a little drive. I pulled off the road, **** it off, waited a few seconds and then starts it up again. After a few minutes it came back on. I followed the same steps but then the ETC didnít come on.

Any idea what might be the cause of the above issues?

For reference, I have the GDE Eco Tune installed, a remanufactured turbo actuator and a new battery as of a few months ago which was recently tested to be fully functional, all within the last few months.

Thank you.

Ď08 JGC Laredo 3.0L diesel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-13-2021, 12:47 AM
Ruxus

Hi the lightningbolt might be the egr. Have you checked for codes?

Does it go into limp mode?

There is one easy trick to check your egr. Insted of removing it, take of the black plastic cover, easy so not to break the tabs, then check if the needle is stuck or goes up and down easy. Might wanna give the mechanism some wd-40 to lube it up.

As flr the turbo sound, there is a sensor under the glowplug control box. You cant se it but feel it. That might come loose and cause a leak on the low side. Wont throw any codes and dont affect turbo pressure but gives a whoosing sound, very loud.

Do a smoke test on the low side and check for codes first, thats my advice.

Cheers
Mathias

Skickat frŚn min iPhone med Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 04-13-2021, 06:47 AM
JKRubicon88

When my 2007 started doing the same thing I found the flex pipe built into the manifold was starting to leak causing an underboost condition that put the ETC (lightning bolt) light on.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-13-2021, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Curlybandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruxus View Post
Hi the lightningbolt might be the egr. Have you checked for codes?

Does it go into limp mode?

There is one easy trick to check your egr. Insted of removing it, take of the black plastic cover, easy so not to break the tabs, then check if the needle is stuck or goes up and down easy. Might wanna give the mechanism some wd-40 to lube it up.

As flr the turbo sound, there is a sensor under the glowplug control box. You cant se it but feel it. That might come loose and cause a leak on the low side. Wont throw any codes and dont affect turbo pressure but gives a whoosing sound, very loud.

Do a smoke test on the low side and check for codes first, thats my advice.

Cheers
Mathias

Skickat frŚn min iPhone med Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. Interestingly it doesnít go into limp mode when the ECT comes on. I donít believe that itís the EGR. I had the EGR fail my previous CRD which did cause it to go into limp mode. This was the reason I bought the GDE Eco for that Jeep. It resolved the EGR problem which never returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon88 View Post
When my 2007 started doing the same thing I found the flex pipe built into the manifold was starting to leak causing an underboost condition that put the ETC (lightning bolt) light on.
Thanks for the reply. This sounds like a very likely cause. How did you resolve this?

Ď08 JGC Laredo 3.0L diesel.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-13-2021, 09:48 AM
JKRubicon88

At first I just patched up the leak in the flex pipe with exhaust tape and it worked fine for a couple of months then started leaking again. Same issue started again.
I ordered a new manifold to replace the leaking one but haven’t installed it yet as it only showed up last Thursday.
I’m still waiting for lift to show up to have better access to manifold while struts are out.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-02-2021, 08:37 AM
JKRubicon88

Finally got manifold replaced and Jeep has been working fine since. Got my power back and no more lightning bolt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in