'08 CRD trouble after alternator replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-11-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
dhance

'08 CRD trouble after alternator replacement

First time forum poster, looking for some help on my 08 WK Jeep with 160k. I recently moved to a more rural area in the Pacific Northwest USA and I'm having a bear of time finding a competent mechanic for this Jeep. This despite the fact that it sure seems like I live in the area with the highest per capita number of diesel Sprinter vans.

Less than 500 miles ago I had the alternator replaced by a new-to-me mechanic. This after my previous local mechanic screwed up the oil change and dumped oil all over the alternator. You know the story. After calling 6 different mechanics and getting straight up turned down, I find one who says they will work on the Jeep and assures me that they know what they were doing (one of the mechanics that turned me down recommended them). So I tell them to go for it. $800 dollars and two days later and they return the Jeep to me with a new alternator. We drove it only sporadically for the next few weeks, until one morning I go to start it up and I hear this weird high-pitched whine coming from toward the front of the engine after I turn the key to on but before I turn the engine on. It persists after I turn the engine on. I didn't think much of it, but I do recall thinking that is exactly the kind of noise I was hearing shortly before the last alternator died on me.

Anyway, I drive to work that morning, park it outside in the cold. I remote started it in the evening to warm it up (but didn't stick around to see if actually completed warming up) shortly before finishing up my day. When I go out to get in after finishing up my days work, the Jeep is off. I didn't think much of it because I went back to work for ten or fifteen minutes after I remote started it and figured it had just reached the fifteen minute timer on the remote start. I start it normally and drive about 20 minutes to pick up my wife at her work before we drive another half hour home. I turn the engine off waiting to pick her up. She's in the car five minutes later. I go to restart the Jeep and I get the dead battery click. No turnover. Nothing. We try to jump it and it won't start after about five minutes with the jumper cables on. We get a ride home and leave the car at her work until Monday morning. I attempted to restart it again on Monday morning and battery is definitely dead.

I call up the mechanic and tell them I think there's a problem with the new alternator. We get it towed to their shop. They recharge the battery and then start it up and told me they did a charging system check and couldn't find any issues. I tell them to keep digging and I mention that I wasn't sure if it had completed the remote start cycle that last Friday at work. So they try the remote start and find that the Jeep shuts off after less than a minute and is now throwing an DTC for glow plug #3. So they tell me that's the problem, but assure me that they'll check the wiring "for rodent damage." (WTF? You just replaced the alternator and now it's mice?) They don't find any wire damage. So they replace all the glow plugs (which probably did need to be done as I don't know when they were last replaced). And return the Jeep.

Less than 100 miles later were driving it to town for some errands. Check Engine light comes on. Now I'm getting DTC P0197. Which is Engine Oil Temp Sensor low. From what I'm reading online that could be caused by a short somewhere in the electric system. After getting it home I again hear the whine coming from the front of the engine when the key is turned to on but the engine is not running, but which persists after I turn the engine on and after I turn it off again. (I took a video this time and can try to upload to youtube if that helps).

What's going on here? Could it be a bad ground connection for the alternator?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-11-2019, 03:09 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few CRD folks on the forum that I am sure they can give you some assistance. Just wait a bit and I am sure they'll chime in soon. At least a couple are here in the northwest too.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-12-2019, 09:19 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

I know you can get DTCs if your battery voltage is low, what is your charging voltage with the engine running?
I had trouble with an Advance Auto (CARQUEST) alt I installed in my '07 Hemi back in June of '17, wound up having to replace it again in Jan of '18 (hate the cold!) with a Mopar re-man. The reman has been fine so far. That whining noise is curious.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac

post #4 of 9 Old 03-12-2019, 09:30 AM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

Sounds like a bad alternator to me...if you aren't getting proper voltage through the electrical circuits you'll get all sorts of weird CEL codes because the electronics need very specific tolerances in voltages in order to function properly...so an alternator that isn't doing its job properly gives voltage spikes and drops and causes all sorts of issues...time for a different mechanic, that is after they fix it right this time.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-12-2019, 01:17 PM
viking427

I didn't think an oem factory "remote start" feature was available on the wk crd's, only the gassers. Was this an aftermarket kit that someone tapped into the vehicle electronics to install ? In any case, the "Key on" position energizes the glow plug controller for a short time, cabin power (via its own controller) and the fuel pump. Id be looking among those for the problem first (short, faulty items). Im not aware of an alternator "whine" that can occur without it spinning. The well documented wk crd wiring harness problem ..tucked in between the battery tray and engine mounted injection pump is also suspect. That problem mimics a dead battery - the giveaway is no cabin power (dash lights, convenience lights etc.) with the key on, until you grab the harness under hood and wiggle it.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
dhance

Charging voltage with engine on was something like 14.8 when I checked yesterday. As for the remote start. I assumed it was factory when I bought the Jeep. It's part of the key fob, so I'm pretty sure it's factory.

It started slow this morning, taking a few seconds to actually turn over. It was about 40 degrees in the garage. Glow plugs had definitely completed their cycle. I reset the DTC and it didn't come back on after a half-hour of driving to the mechanic. The mechanic heard the noise I was referring to. They assured me that while they don't see many of these Jeeps, they do see a lot of Sprinters with the same Merc engine. He told me the "whining" noise I was hearing (high-pitched almost like the noise you hear when your ears are ringing) was normal and that it's the noise of the injectors coming online. I've never heard it before in owning the vehicle for two years, but maybe I'm just oblivious(?) They said they're going to run another charging system test just to make sure they didn't miss anything, but I'm not confident they're going to find anything.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-13-2019, 11:33 PM
rokrau
2008 WK 

You can hear the fuel pump running when you turn your key on in a CRD. It’s a high pitched noise but the pitch is constant not varying so I wouldn’t call it whining. It also stays on for a few seconds after you turn the engine off. It’s the only thing that’s running when your engine is off.

Good luck.

--Roland, 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.0 CRD, EHM and TRD
post #8 of 9 Old 03-17-2019, 11:08 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

Sometimes my CRD makes the high pitched whine after shutoff, sometimes it doesn't, my understanding was it's the high pressure pump.

As for the failure to start, how old is the battery and has it been load tested? Do you have another known-good battery you can swap in? I wouldn't be surprised if the bad alternator has caused the battery to be damaged, leading to the current issues. Jeeps seem to be a bit hard on batteries as well, but maybe it's just my luck and the conditions I put my Jeeps in.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]
post #9 of 9 Old 03-30-2019, 10:49 PM
Gc23

Check the wire harness that goes from your ecu out to all the electrical components to your motor also check your battery for a short and check to see if the voltage regulator on alternator is bad

Tags
alternator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in