08 crd getting poorer fuel economy - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-18-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
02zedr2

08 crd getting poorer fuel economy

Morning, sorry if this has been answered already tried searching and couldn't come up with anything.
I have a 2008 wk crd with 230 000km(140 000 miles) on it. I used to get around 20-22 mpg but lately I've been getting 17-18 doing the same route I've always done. I've checked the basic stuff, air filter, tires inflated properly, alignment. No codes come up, and it drives great, just wondering what's some other stuff I can look at

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Xmind
2007 WK 

How long have you owned the vehicle? Do you drive mostly short distances each day and do you have the DPF yet? It could be the regen on the DPF is trying to run, but can't complete if you have too short of drives.

It shouldn't affect it by that much, but worth the 5 minutes to remove the engine cover and foam blocks to check the injectors to ensure none are leaking, nor the fuel filter.

'07 GC CRD QDII, EHM, GDE ECO, DPF & intake rez delete, Paramount Perf Valve Body
post #3 of 9 Old 09-18-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
02zedr2

Owned it for the last 70 000kms, most of my drives are 30+ min, don't have the cover on and didn't see anything that jumps out at me that looks like it's leaking.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-18-2019, 02:35 PM
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Ambient temp, mine gets 2 mpg less in the summer

"Racing makes Heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." -- Peter Egan
post #5 of 9 Old 09-20-2019, 12:34 AM
rokrau
2008 WK 

Small leaks in the intercooler and related plumbing will cause diminished fuel efficiency. Maybe do a visual inspection of the pipe coming from the turbo, the resonator and its connections to the intercooler then on the other side the hose going to the throttle body.

If it’s leaking there will be black soot (assuming there never was a modification to the PCV valve routing aka Elephanf Hose Mod).

Best of luck.

--Roland, 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.0 CRD, EHM and TRD
post #6 of 9 Old 09-20-2019, 08:06 PM
ZJPunk98

2007 WK 

Garage
Clogged DPF (as noted above), EGR valve stuck open, leaking fuel injectors, bad fuel filter (maybe), leaks in intake or boost loss maybe.

Erik
98ZJ sold, 02WJ sold, 07 WK CRD
post #7 of 9 Old 09-21-2019, 05:07 AM
browningv308

Mine used to get 22 average, I took the front air dam { or whatever it's called } off and mpg went to 19 average, then I added a 2'' lift and 265's now the mpg says 18 I know the computer is off with the taller tires. But is it possible your computer is off, have you tried to do the math yourself?
post #8 of 9 Old 09-21-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
02zedr2

Thanks all for your replies, I'll look to see if I can find some leaks in the pipe, it's very possible, I never did the elephant hose mode so it's still factory, I had the intercooler replaced a couple weeks back since some lady backed into the jeep and pushed one of the bolts through the intercooler. Is there a way to tell if the dpf is clogged?
post #9 of 9 Old 09-24-2019, 12:55 PM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Could be time of year... some place start switching over to winter blended fuel which can have a negative affect on fuel mileage.
Check air filter
Check fuel filter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in