08 Commander 4.7 (187,000 miles)need tranny help - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 11-08-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
artisticchic24

08 Commander 4.7 (187,000 miles)need tranny help

Can’t find anyone with same problem. Driving my daughter back to Purdue, going 80mph. Goes into 1st gear, won’t come out of 1st and no warning signs or warning lights. Get it towed home. Next morning start it up and it is in [D] pull in the garage. That night I decided to drive it around and see if it would go back into first and 20 min into driving around the block, it goes into [1]. Brother comes over and scans it with his cheapy scanner, no codes. He does a global restart. Drive around the block for a hour and it stayed in drive last night. Drove it around tonight for 8 minutes and it went into [1] and won’t come out. Slap shifter isnt responding at all. Don’t use it often so. not sure when it stopped working. Was thinking it was something in the pan, like a sensor because it wasn’t happening until it was warm but then tonight it wasn’t warm yet and it did it again. Any help or ideas are welcomed!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 11-09-2019, 07:47 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

what is a "He does a global restart" ?
Hopefully nothing like a global citizen.

I would suggest a SCAN 'cheapy scanner' may be lacking.

Till you get a scan Try this will the CEL come on @3seconds at every start?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 57 Old 11-09-2019, 12:31 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Transmission codes dont show up on a PCM scan by a cheap scanner. You should have a P0700 code saying there is a code in the transmission but I would still be curious to see on a decent scantool if there are any codes.

Ultimately I am trying to figure out why it goes into 1st. using the autoshift function (left to right on the shifter in drive). Downshifting would just select the next lowest gear. Not all way to 1st. Limp home mode is 3rd gear IIRC, so it is interesting that its going into first.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...

post #4 of 57 Old 11-09-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
artisticchic24

The engine light comes on when I start it and goes off with all the other lights. It has not came on at all during this, except when starting it.
post #5 of 57 Old 11-09-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
artisticchic24

He’s coming over with the dealer scanner today. I will post what codes it pulle if any, hopefully since he reset the computer and it went into [1] after the fact too, it will have a code stored. We are puzzled too... and no check engine light has came on at all. Only when starting and goes off with the others.
post #6 of 57 Old 11-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticchic24 View Post
Heís coming over with the dealer scanner today. I will post what codes it pulle if any, hopefully since he reset the computer and it went into [1] after the fact too, it will have a code stored. We are puzzled too... and no check engine light has came on at all. Only when starting and goes off with the others.
Fluid change and filters change history?

Model year '08 can go up to 102,000 miles before transmission fluid/filters change if you do not do water, offroad, or significant towing.

When you change it, use ATF+4 fluid and 2 MOPAR filters for the 545RFE xmission. One filter is a cylindrical can and the other is flattish. See if the flat one was split. For a while, there was a history of aftermarket filters splitting along the seam.
BTW: Be careful when installing the o-ring on the neck of the flat one. Think there may be a DIY / how-to thread at the top of this forum to guide you.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #7 of 57 Old 11-10-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
artisticchic24

So you think the problem could be the tranny fluid or filters? I don’t have the history, I bought it used and no records on tranny fluid or filters. It is pink, not burnt smells or anything.
post #8 of 57 Old 11-10-2019, 06:00 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
So you think the problem could be the tranny fluid or filters? I donít have the history, I bought it used and no records on tranny fluid or filters. It is pink, not burnt smells or anything.
What I am saying is that you should first get a good reading on pending DTC's (no MIL) and set DTC's (MIL illumination). Let us know what your brother pulls out of the OBD-II port.

It may show the solenoid needs replacing, at which time you should plan to replace the ATF+4 transmission fluid and both filters since you have no specific history (and assuming it is >75,000 miles on the odometer since the last service). Your reported fluid condition statement is encouraging though.

I would not do the fluid/filter change until after you find if it needs to be opened for another reason.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #9 of 57 Old 11-11-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
artisticchic24

Thank you so much for responding and for your help. I will post codes 🤞🏻 When he comes over hopefully later.
post #10 of 57 Old 11-11-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
artisticchic24

It did not pull any codes from the transmission. It said that it could not communicate with the transmission each time. He checked all the fuses. Any ideas at all?
post #11 of 57 Old 11-11-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
artisticchic24

He came over with the good scanner. It came up each time that it could not communicate with the transmission. He then checked all the fuses. He is not good with trannys and keeps. Any ideas at all?!?🙏
post #12 of 57 Old 11-11-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
artisticchic24

Jeeps*
post #13 of 57 Old 11-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Avs
2006 WK 

Quote:
He came over with the good scanner. It came up each time that it could not communicate with the transmission. He then checked all the fuses. He is not good with trannys and keeps. Any ideas at all?!?🙏

Whatís kind of scanner is he using? Kind of hard to diagnose when thereís no code. You can try unplugging the three connectors on the pcm making sure the connection is good. Check for obvious corrosion (white flakes) and reconnect it.
post #14 of 57 Old 11-11-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
artisticchic24

It’s a Mac Tool MDT 10 scanner
post #15 of 57 Old 11-11-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
artisticchic24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
Quote:

What’s kind of scanner is he using? Kind of hard to diagnose when there’s no code. You can try unplugging the three connectors on the pcm making sure the connection is good. Check for obvious corrosion (white flakes) and reconnect it.

It is a Mac Tools MDT 10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in