1Likes
  • 1 Post By sc32valve

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-02-2020, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

08 aftermarket headunit with factory backup cam

Hi all.
Looking to get my aftermarket headunit installed and functional with the factory backup cam.
I have all the adapters but. That wont trigger the headunit to switch over to the video feed from the backup cam.
I found this thread:
https://www.**********.org/threads/h...ad-unit.42888/

But I dont want to run a wire all the way back there. There must be a closer signal point....can I any ideas or tips? How else can I trigger the video feed?

Kyle
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-02-2020, 12:49 PM
colinzj
2006 WK 

Running a new camera wire won't fix anything if you can pull up the video feed on demand. The problem is either that you don't have automatic reverse camera turned on (check your head unit menus) or that your head unit isn't getting the reverse signal from your adapter.

If it's the latter, that could be a problem with the way you wired up your harnesses, or it could be a cheap adapter that doesn't read the gearshift status, or it could be that you need to reflash your adapter.

2006 WK Laredo 4x4 4.7L
1993 ZJ Laredo 4x4 4.0L Dead, sold, and rolling again
post #3 of 8 Old 04-02-2020, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't tried the whole setup yet. Just got to looking at it and the rear camera converter pigtail just converts to rca...so i wanst sure if I needed more. Or if that and all the other harness adapters were good to go

Kyle
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

post #4 of 8 Old 04-04-2020, 09:14 PM
sc32valve

I recently did exactly this and have been successfully using the steering wheel controls, the stock satellite radio antenna, and stock backup cam.
I'm using the following:
Pioneer 4200NEX Double Din Head unit

Maestro RR idatalink adapter
Maestro CH1 Interface Cable (This allows access to steering wheel controls, as well as, vehicle information such as boost pressure, EGT, intake air charge temp, tire pressures, doors open, etc. It is a required accessory to use the Maestro RR and also includes all the speaker inputs and stock amp connections. Plug and play into the stock Jeep harnesses, there's 3 separate ones you need to connect to)
Maestro AVCH1 Interface Cable (This provides an output for the aftermarket radio for the stock backup cam, as well as, inputs to the rear entertainment system if you have it)
Eastwood Stock Satellite Radio Antenna to Sirius XM receiver adapter (This plugs into the stock satellite radio antenna plug and converts it to the plug on the SiriusXM module)

I have to say that I'm extremely happy with how everything turned out. I actually have way more functionality and ease of use than the stock head unit ever had. AND I have access to features that the stock headunit could never display (like my Boost gauge, EGT temps and intake air charge temp, the Boost comes in really hand when I do mods or if a boost leak develops and the EGT helps to confirm for sure when the car is in regen). My OCD drives me crazy if I'm not able to use all of the existing hardware in the vehicle (ie. Like having to install a 2nd SiriusXM antenna or separate back up cam). Not to mention I have Android Auto and Apple Carplay, can play DVDs for the kids in the back, etc.

Here's what the gauge display looks like on my head unit. I LOVE it!

T1m likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-04-2020, 09:35 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
If all you need is the video signal, tap into these two wires that were used on the factory radio. Cut an old RCA cable, cut the end off with several inches of wire, and connect that to these two leads
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20190323-201058_Chrome_1586057633519.jpg  

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #6 of 8 Old 04-05-2020, 12:45 AM
sc32valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray203m View Post
If all you need is the video signal, tap into these two wires that were used on the factory radio. Cut an old RCA cable, cut the end off with several inches of wire, and connect that to these two leads
If you want to go this route and not hack up the factory harness and have the RCAs already put on for you and clearly labeled, you can buy just the Maestro AVCH1 kit. It doesn't require the Maestro RR controller and is a direct plug in to get access to all the video ports in the vehicle.

It's plug and play and will give you the backup cam output with a RCA already built into a nice harness with the chrysler/jeep plug on one side. No splicing into the factory harness and the RCAs installed professionally. And like I said, it works stand alone. Just make sure to ground the black wire that is part of the harness or you'll get all kinds of crazy interference in the video feed.

Maestro AVCH1

It's only $24.99 on Crutchfield, for the price, I don't think it's worth going through the trouble of doing it yourself. Actually, with exception of the Maestro RR itself, all of their adapter harnesses are very reasonably price. And for everything that the RR is capable of doing, I think it's also very reasonably priced at $149.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-05-2020, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Got the adapter. And everything worked. Just tryong to get used to this head unit. We will see.
Thank yoh all for the info!

Kyle

post #8 of 8 Old 04-06-2020, 03:31 AM
sc32valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptorino68 View Post
Got the adapter. And everything worked. Just tryong to get used to this head unit. We will see.
Thank yoh all for the info!
Very happy to hear! If I can help just one person, it makes my day. Keep us updated on your new set up! I know I'm really enjoying mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in