'06 Limited WK Sound System - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-12-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
2007laredowk
2006 WK 

'06 Limited WK Sound System

A couple of months ago my mom bought a 2006 GC Limited with the 4.7 powertech, overall it was in good condition with the usual wear for the model. It's her truck but obviously I try to fix it a bit, I noticed the speakers don't sound very good and I was thinking about the Kicker upgrade (front and rear door, dash tweeters, amp and sub). Doing a little research I found out that if it didn't have the Boston Acoustic sound system from the factory it won't work. Well for my luck the truck doesn't have the Boston decal on the front speaker door grille meaning it has the base model sound system. I really want to upgrade the speakers because the front door ones if I just turn the volume up to 10-13 on the stock head unit they start to sound like they are blown and the rear ones sound really really low or don't sound at all, so it would be more like a replacement than an upgrade but whatever. Before I try to check if they are even connected correctly (remove panels, check wiring, etc) I wanted to get better speakers first. In this case with the base sound system, What are my options?, Can it still work with the Kicker upgrade?, Maybe just the speakers without the sub and/or amp?, or just plain get aftermarket speakers that fit?, Will the stock head unit (RAQ) work or better upgrade it?, I was thinking about installing a screen head unit to install a backup camera but that will come later. I want to fix this with the least amount of modifications like cutting stock plugs, adding crimp terminals and stuff like that. The goal is to have good sounding system that is well balanced with good bass and that if I turn up the volume won't distort much, mainly the speakers is what interests me the most but with room for maybe later add a sub woofer. Any info missing let me know. Hope it sounds reasonable, not a native speaker.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-13-2015, 12:05 AM
colinzj
2006 WK 

Boston isn't badged on the early years. And on a Limited, you're pretty much guaranteed to have the Boston system.

Not a stripper fleet vehicle? Probably Boston.
Front doors provide only bass? Boston.
Silver box with fins (the amp) inside the vents on the rear driver side of the cargo area? Boston.

Check your EQ, fade, and balance settings before worrying about replacing the speakers or repairing the wiring.

And the Mopar Kicker speakers work fine with the base system—you just can't add the Mopar Kicker amp.

2006 WK Laredo 4x4 4.7L
1993 ZJ Laredo 4x4 4.0L — Dead, sold, and rolling again
post #3 of 10 Old 12-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

Just know that the Kicker Sub woofer(s) are no longer made. You will have to go aftermarket. I have an 05 with the BA system. I did the Kicker upgrade in the doors and amp and then added a JL JX500/1 amp and JL stealthbox. Everything sound a lot better than stock and plenty loud.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-14-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
2007laredowk
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post
Check your EQ, fade, and balance settings before worrying about replacing the speakers or repairing the wiring.
I already did, I put all the sound to the rear and sounds really low like when you put a sub without amp to speaker wiring, it does sound but really low and have to mess with the fade to make it sound ok.

Quote:
Silver box with fins (the amp) inside the vents on the rear driver side of the cargo area?
I'll have to check that just to be sure but it sounds like it is the boston sound system.

Quote:
And the Mopar Kicker speakers work fine with the base system—you just can't add the Mopar Kicker amp.
That sounds good, as long as they work and sound better than the ones it has already. For the amp, I thought if you had the Boston system the amp was compatible. Just a thought, if the previous owner installed an aftermarket sound system and maybe messed or removed the factory amp, the front speakers wouldn't work either right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky2Toes View Post
Just know that the Kicker Sub woofer(s) are no longer made. You will have to go aftermarket.
Yeah, I think I read that somewhere, plus I'm not a big fan of the square Kicker subs. Right now mainly the speakers are what I'm after fixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky2Toes View Post
I did the Kicker upgrade in the doors and amp
So the Kicker amp works or not if I have the Boston sound system?

Right now I'm just basing all this by listening to the stereo I haven't really looked at it directly to see how it is, but be sure there is something not working correctly. I will have to take a look at the amp if there is one to make sure that is the system I have, The amp can be seen without removing panels right?

So I think after reading everything and just making sure I have the Boston system I can upgrade the speakers. For the amp can I upgrade or not, if I do not upgrade it, the boston works with the upgraded speakers? And finally for the sub I'll wait to put an aftermarket one and just wire a dedicated amp for the sub. Thanks for the replies, it cleared my doubts just to make sure I don't waste money without the need to.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

Yes, if you have the Boston system from the factory, then the Kicker Amp will work. The Kicker Amp replaces the Boston Amp.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-15-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
2007laredowk
2006 WK 

So I checked the rear cargo area panel and I saw an amp in there so I definitely have the Boston system. I am going to get the speakers only because doing a little search I found out that the Kicker amp is set to work with the subwoofer so it kind of lowers the bass in the speakers to lean it towards the sub, the Boston one is set to work with the speakers only so apparently it's more balanced.

Just going to solve a couple of mechanical issues in the truck and then I will get to buying the speakers, hopefully I can post some pictures of the install process.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

Get the amp. It is a good value. It works great with just the door speakers as well. I ran mine like that for a couple years. It has plenty of low end and sounds great.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-16-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
2007laredowk
2006 WK 

I guess I'm gonna buy first the speakers, see how the stock amp moves them and see if I buy the Kicker or not, besides I have to see if it works correctly with the rear speakers barely sounding, maybe it needs replacement.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

Just know that the system is designed to work with the stock head unit. If you want to go aftermarket head unit and such, then don't go with the kicker speakers and such as I don't think they will work with an aftermarket amp. I think they are an odd ohm or something. Not saying not buy aftermarket Kicker stuff. I had their high end component sets back in my other Jeep. They were outstanding.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-16-2015, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
2007laredowk
2006 WK 

My idea was to use the kicker speakers with the kicker or boston amp for now using the stock head unit and later upgrade the head unit to a screen one, keeping the kicker speakers and the kicker or boston amp whichever I decide to use, not messing with them. An aftermarket (not the kicker one) subwoofer would be added too but using an independent amp only powering the sub, totaling two amps to power everything, one (boston or kicker) for the 6 speakers and another one for the sub.

According to my limited sound system knowledge there shouldn't be a problem with the head unit because the speakers are powered through the amp not the stereo, so the stereo's power ratings will not affect the speakers and I will keep the stock boston or upgraded kicker amp for the speakers. I know the stock amp isn't like an aftermarket one that is wired separately from the factory wiring but it does provide the power the speakers need independently from the stereo's power ratings. Something like that I think, I may be wrong.

Tags
grand cherokee , sound system , speakers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in