• 1 Post By 2005JGC
  • 1 Post By Evil_98_ZJ
  • 1 Post By CavallinoRed

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Evil_98_ZJ
1998 ZJ 

06 Limited new to me

I've been a member on here for some years now as I had a 98 ZJ 4L, I had to retire it @ 240k due to age/condition/willingness to keep fixing it. Anyways I came across a 1 owner, 06 GC Limited 5.7 with just under 57k on it. Yes you read that right! What would you recommend I look at, be aware of, or replace? What mods or upgrades would you also recommend?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 11:22 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Everyone and their brother on here tries to turn people away from this era of hemi engines... they say these drop valve seats. In my experience with most chrysler vehicles, failure happens when things are not maintained. Toyota lasts forever so customers plan on keeping them running forever and maintain them decently... Chryslers are crappy american cars that are not worth maintaining (sarcasm, but true sentiment... probably more so customer training, toyota vehicle you maintain to last longer, chrysler vehicles you maintain to flush your wallet.).

I had 150k on my 2008 hemi (same version as this) and it ran like a top. Hell there are plenty of them in rams and other chrysler products on craigslist pushing 200k miles with no problems (enginewise).

First stop would be suspension for me! The factory stuff can feel floaty even when it is fresh and new. The change to bilsteins was night and day for me. This would be a great opportunity to install a lift if there is interest in one! I would talk to @Kolak if you are interested, he would be a great vendor to buy from and can discuss suspension options with you.

At that mileage, there is a LOT of life left to live! Make sure you get a solid prepurchase inspection on ANY car though. Not sure if rust is an issue where you are, there may be rodent concerns if the thing sat for a long time. If you are paying top dollar for a clean car, make sure its clean even if it costs to do so!
Kolak likes this.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #3 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 04:48 AM
T1m

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
Everyone and their brother on here tries to turn people away from this era of hemi engines... they say these drop valve seats. In my experience with most chrysler vehicles, failure happens when things are not maintained. Toyota lasts forever so customers plan on keeping them running forever and maintain them decently...
I had a 1964 Austin Healy Sprite that I was always wrenching on in my apartment parking lot. The manager of the complex was from the UK and said to me once "if Americans took care of their American cars like they did their foreign cars, they would last a lot longer."

post #4 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 05:00 AM
b00001
2005 WK 

At that mileage, 1 owner, you should have service records. What is he asking for it?

Agree that suspension will be on your list of "maintenance" but maybe the PO has already done some of that?

Certainly sounds like one worth pursuing to me.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
post #5 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 07:12 AM
99sajeep

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
Everyone and their brother on here tries to turn people away from this era of hemi engines...
I had 150k on my 2008 hemi (same version as this) and it ran like a top.
I just turned 209k miles on my '05 WK w/ 5.7L in it. Still squats-n-gets when I mash down on the fun pedal! Like, 2005JGC said, it all comes down to maintenance.

At 60k miles, you should look at having the transmission serviced also. New filters and top off with new ATF+4 fluid. These transmissions are truck transmissions and mine has 209k miles on it also! Maintenance on them goes a long way!

If these combinations (5.7 w/ 545RFE trans) are well taken care of, the plastic on the interior will break and fall apart long before the motor and trans will!

'99 WJ 4x4 Ltd 4.7L (sold)
'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 200k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)
post #6 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Evil_98_ZJ
1998 ZJ 

I guess I should have been more specific. I already purchased it. I'm going to assume the owner was a couple/person that was older considering they put less than 5k a year on it. Its immaculate inside and has a few spots on the outside that need touched up.

I definitely can see what everyone is saying about the suspension. The ZJ I just got rid of had Bilsteins and Addcco away bars, so I can most certainly feel a difference.

I've purchased through Kolak before on a few things , so I'm familiar with him.

Anyone reccomend a tuner or should I just save my money?
2005JGC likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 02:10 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Check the front diff bushings, they seem to be the main design flaw in the WK chassis but luckily they're pretty minor to do.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]
post #8 of 10 Old 06-15-2019, 11:48 PM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Check the front diff bushings, they seem to be the main design flaw in the WK chassis but luckily they're pretty minor to do.
Agreed for sure. Any clunk going from park to drive is a sign. The nose bushing normally goes but worth doing all three due to labor.

Also check for recalls. If the N23/P73 recall (same thing) have not been done read up on those here first before having those applied. Just a programming flash but lots of owners lost 4-low if the N23 is not properly done.

When i picked up my '06 had 50K but only oil changes on record so had all fluids done. So the full 60K service. Unless you have records that these have been done suggest:

Inspect the PCV Valve, replace if necessary.
Replace the spark plugs.
Inspect drive belt, replace if necessary.
Inspect the brake linings.
Drain and refill the front and rear axles.
Drain and refill the automatic transmission fluid, and replace main sump filter (4.7L/5.7L Only).
Drain and refill the transfer case fluid.
Flush and replace engine coolant/anti-freeze.

Is a major service but one vehicle where you don't want to skimp on the maintenance. Good luck with your new ride!
BadExample likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 09:36 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_98_ZJ View Post
I guess I should have been more specific. I already purchased it. I'm going to assume the owner was a couple/person that was older considering they put less than 5k a year on it. Its immaculate inside and has a few spots on the outside that need touched up.

I definitely can see what everyone is saying about the suspension. The ZJ I just got rid of had Bilsteins and Addcco away bars, so I can most certainly feel a difference.

I've purchased through Kolak before on a few things , so I'm familiar with him.

Anyone reccomend a tuner or should I just save my money?
Superchips makes a good tuner with decent canned tunes. Removes some throttle lag from the dbw system and firms up the shift points. Not sure what’s out there for ”new” but you might find unlocked 3785s used , some with trans app and tpms off features. As a bonus, it will also read all the abs, TCM, and WCM codes.

Since you probably bought a very gently used hemi, I would pull the battery for awhile to erase the adaptives. It will probably drive pretty crappy and squirrelly for a bit, but will smooth out to your driving style and wake up the Hemi. Too much relaxed driving can make the engine and trans feel lazy.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #10 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 PM
BadExample

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavallinoRed View Post
Agreed for sure. Any clunk going from park to drive is a sign. The nose bushing normally goes but worth doing all three due to labor.

Also check for recalls. If the N23/P73 recall (same thing) have not been done read up on those here first before having those applied. Just a programming flash but lots of owners lost 4-low if the N23 is not properly done.

When i picked up my '06 had 50K but only oil changes on record so had all fluids done. So the full 60K service. Unless you have records that these have been done suggest:

Inspect the PCV Valve, replace if necessary.
Replace the spark plugs.
Inspect drive belt, replace if necessary.
Inspect the brake linings.
Drain and refill the front and rear axles.
Drain and refill the automatic transmission fluid, and replace main sump filter (4.7L/5.7L Only).
Drain and refill the transfer case fluid.
Flush and replace engine coolant/anti-freeze.

Is a major service but one vehicle where you don't want to skimp on the maintenance. Good luck with your new ride!

If you add flush the brakes, that list is my go to for any new used 4WD.

CJ5 we don't talk about, 58 Willys CJ-3B gone
79 J-10 gone, 99 GC WJ murdered and gone
2006 GC WK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in