06 Jeep GC WK 4.7 T-Stat Job - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-07-2020, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
JeepWKWJ0006
2006 WK 

06 Jeep GC WK 4.7 T-Stat Job

I'm in the JeffCo area, just south of STL. I have had alot of health problems (kidney's) which have kept me from getting a simple t-stat job done. A friend was supposed to do it for me since I'm in alot of pain most times but he hasn't done it yet and I can't keep putting it off.

My heater core blew last late July. I bypassed it as I've done before, successfully, and topped off everything. But, then it kept overheating, which was the 1st time it's ever done that. I checked everything out, all of it, determined it must be the t-stat since it's the OEM from 2006. It lasted that long which surprised me. Anyway, I don't have a heater core, it's bypassed. I am open to comments on doing this job cause I'm about ready to just try & get it done this a.m. I gotta bleed the air bubbles out when I'm done by leaving the radiator cap off abit. How long should I do that for, should I rev it up at all?
It's been awhile since I've worked on my Jeep cause of my health. So, today, is it. Nobody is reliable so far to me so I am forced to do this. I'll reuse the coolant in it already by catching it below or add more if I got some 50/50. The t-stat housing isn't hard to find, but, this Jeep hasn't had it done before so do I need to remove the belt or any stupid stuff like that? I got tool's. Which size tool's/socket's do I need to remove the aluminum bolts from the housing? Any conducive comments are welcome. I await cause I am not doing squat til I'm ready and pain enough free. Oh, and my battery needs jumped, lol, so hopefully someone will jump me. Thanks guy's.

06 Jeep GC Limited Trail-Rated 4X4 4.7 V8 - Blue
00 Jeep GC Laredo 4X4/2WD 4.0 I6 - Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-07-2020, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
JeepWKWJ0006
2006 WK 

Battery

I forgot, I don't even know if I can get into the bay area since my battery is weak as freak. Hmm. Last time I tried to unlock it, the Jeep took 5 tries before it unlocked and then it wouldn't start, which is because it has sat awhile. Over time I just couldn't go out to start up every week during winter so the battery is weak. It's only 2.5yrs old. I gotta get a jump possibly just to do this I think now.

post #3 of 5 Old 04-07-2020, 09:57 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWKWJ0006 View Post
I forgot, I don't even know if I can get into the bay area since my battery is weak as freak. Hmm. Last time I tried to unlock it, the Jeep took 5 tries before it unlocked and then it wouldn't start, which is because it has sat awhile. Over time I just couldn't go out to start up every week during winter so the battery is weak. It's only 2.5yrs old. I gotta get a jump possibly just to do this I think now.
If the battery is dead, just use the manual key to unlock.

As for your other post, there are factory service manuals available for download on this forum. The 4.7s are known to have coolant bleeding issues. You might wanna make sure its not just some air trapped From when you bypassed the heater core. Usually when a thermostat locks up the vehicle will overheat fairly quickly and not come down at all, but with air in the system the temperature gauge will go into overheat and then come down with driving or revving the engine. I know some guys that will drive up on ramps to bleed all the air .

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot

post #4 of 5 Old 04-07-2020, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
JeepWKWJ0006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
If the battery is dead, just use the manual key to unlock.

As for your other post, there are factory service manuals available for download on this forum. The 4.7‘s are known to have coolant bleeding issues. You might wanna make sure it’s not just some air trapped From when you bypassed the heater core. Usually when a thermostat locks up the vehicle will overheat fairly quickly and not come down at all, but with air in the system the temperature gauge will go into overheat and then come down with driving or revving the engine. I know some guys that will drive up on ramps to bleed all the air .
There could be some air, I suppose. I did do some bleeding. But as soon as I test drove it, the temp gauge quickly went up from low to high so I went right back home. As for my battery, LOL, the manufacturers, IDK, maybe it's different with some owners but I've been locked out of my Jeep before because of a dead key fob. So I manually unlocked it. The alarm went off. Only way I could turn it off was to start the Jeep up. Nothing else worked that I tried which as you know, there are limited methods in doing so. But the t-stat is factory, way past replacement time anyway. I'm almost certain it's stuck closed. I was hoping someone on here was local & could give me some back-up on doing this too. I see you're in Canada. I hope y'all are doing alright.

post #5 of 5 Old 04-07-2020, 05:01 PM
Alex_

I did it on my 07 it wasn't that hard; don't think you need to jack the car if you can fit under it; You need to remove the housing on the lower hose on the passenger side, If Im not mistaken is 2 bolts cannot remember the size it was between 8-10 sockets sizes, after that remove thermostat and put the new one aligning the gasket with the notch and it should be pretty much done.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Before doing this, did you try purging the system of air?

Tags
2006 wk , bolt , coolant , housing , thermostat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in