'05 WK Trans Over Temp (but engine temp fine) - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeepers_2020

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-15-2021, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
jeepers_2020

2005 WK 

Garage
'05 WK Trans Over Temp (but engine temp fine)

Hi all, I've been getting a "transmission over temp" message on my WK 5.7. The fan will turn on when that message comes up. It started doing it right after I changed my heater core o-rings (they were leaking). Bubble in the system? The engine temp is running fine at all times. And sometimes the transmission over temp happens at weird times (like, when parking the car). Thanks.

imdabeast2114 likes this.

'05 JGC WK 5.7 Limited Bright Silver 245/65R17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-16-2021, 01:54 PM
Vertisce21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers_2020 View Post
Hi all, I've been getting a "transmission over temp" message on my WK 5.7. The fan will turn on when that message comes up. It started doing it right after I changed my heater core o-rings (they were leaking). Bubble in the system? The engine temp is running fine at all times. And sometimes the transmission over temp happens at weird times (like, when parking the car). Thanks.
Yeah...mine does this too. I am planning on adding an extra transmission cooler for the hell of it. At least I will know the transmission isn't overheating. At which point if I still get the error, it's likely a bad sensor or something. Mine will come up saying transmission over temp and then go away 15 seconds later. Just happens at random.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-16-2021, 02:40 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers_2020 View Post
This is a known problem on the 545 trans. Some people have changed the solenoid pack which has the range sensor and pyrometer in it and some have found bad / oily contacts on the 20 pin trans connector, but many never fix the issue. One confirmed fix some have done is to cut the signal wire that goes to the PCM. It doesn’t affect anything because the PCM uses other sensors and an algorithm to then determine trans temp.
See post #4 https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/.../#post38795218

The first thing to do though is get an actual transmission temp to ensure it’s not overheating. IR gun on the pan or drop a digital pyrometer down the dipstick while the warning is up. Normally The 545rfe on the hemi especially, doesn’t tend to run hot unless you’re pushing it pretty hard or wheeling in 4low.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot

post #4 of 4 Old 07-16-2021, 02:52 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

be sure fluid is full, if applicable check the cooler bypass valve, a small block @ deck of card size mounted in cooler lines.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in