05 WK Lower Balljoint replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-27-2011, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
clbailey
2005 WK 

05 WK Lower Balljoint replacement

I haven't ever swapped lower ball joints before, much less on the Jeep. How do I go about swappin these bad boys?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-27-2011, 05:46 PM
mrtosh
2005 WK 

You will need a 4wd ball joint press and a standard tool set. Basically you remove the upper ball joint from the knuckle, remove the tie rod end from knuckle, remove axle nut,undo hub bearing speed sensor connection, loosen the bottom ball joint nut, smack the spindle right below the ball joint to free up the spindle, remove bottom ball joint nut, maneuver the spindle off the ball joint and pull the axle out of the wheel bearing hub and set spindle aside. Use a punch and pound factory tangs in on the ball joint collar, press out old ball joint, press new one in and install the spindle in reverse of removal.

Torque specs are:
Upper and lower ball joint 65-70 ft. Lbs.
Tie rod end 70 ft. Lbs.
Axle nut 100 ft. Lbs.

'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-29-2014, 12:25 PM
ISUzj

2014 WK 

I just did this last weekend, best idea ever on pressing the new ones in, I had them in the deep freezer for 2 weeks, I could almost press the new ones in by hand, they slipped in beautifully.

To press the new ones in, I needed a peice of flat steel bridged over the top hole ontop to give clearance for the top 1/4" of the ball joint.

Can't wait to get started, but my wallet can......
~~~_______oooo_
~~ / ../...\...\_____\
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-22-2016, 06:37 PM
omsok

2007 WK 

Lower Ball Joints Best options?

Hi:

What brand, model part number did you use, have best luck with?

About to undergo this myself, and wondering if it is better to just rpelace LCAs, or press in new bushings and joints. Thing is I am getting mixed reviews on what is best aftermarket lower control arm LCA ball joint.
Thanks

K

post #5 of 14 Old 03-23-2016, 07:28 AM
CRCs_Reality
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omsok View Post
Hi:

About to undergo this myself, and wondering if it is better to just rpelace LCAs, or press in new bushings and joints. Thing is I am getting mixed reviews on what is best aftermarket lower control arm LCA ball joint.
Thanks

K

Just did mine a few weeks ago and went with the Moog Problem solvers ( http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....430899&jsn=397 )
Pretty straight forward install.

2005 WK Limited, 5.7, QDII , 2" BB, 255/70R18's on JK Alloys <<== SOLD
Silver WK Club Member #116
post #6 of 14 Old 03-23-2016, 10:54 AM
omsok

2007 WK 

Thanks for the reply. Did you do the bushings as well or just LBJs?
post #7 of 14 Old 03-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

I am doing all the bushings and lower ball joints when I get home this summer. Everything is at home just waiting. I am also going to freeze everything in hopes it helps in pressing in the new bushings.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-24-2016, 04:24 PM
omsok

2007 WK 

Lower Control Arms or bushings and LBJs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky2Toes View Post
I am doing all the bushings and lower ball joints when I get home this summer.
What brand, make, model, etc did you end up going with? I am looking at a few aftermarket Lower Control Arms.

Brands I have seen are:
Mopar
Raybestos
Detroit Axle
Moog
Crown
Omix-Ada

I am guessing they are more or less the same, but I guess the big difference would be quality of bushings and LBJ. Sadly prices are so cheap for Lower control arm with no pressing it pretty much makes sense to buy all new LCA for $150, and rebuild my originals at my leisure with higher quality components.

Only two days into figuring this all out, and my UCAs form 4xauto have arrived, so will be purchasing complete LCAs pretty quick like.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

I got all Moog bushings. The reason for my doing this was I failed inspection for bad lower ball joints. I had already bought the Moog Problem Solver ball joints and then decided to go ahead and just replace all the bushings. It is easier to buy a replacement LCA, but the Moog comes with the lower grade ball joint in it and not the Problem Solver Series one.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-12-2016, 11:40 AM
omsok

2007 WK 

Hi: what tool set did you use to press the LBJs out?

I want to pick up a set, but heard some are worse than others.

Thinking of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BUI5VCW?psc=1

Thanks

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCs_Reality View Post
Quote:
Hi:

About to undergo this myself, and wondering if it is better to just replace LCAs, or press in new bushings and joints. Thing is I am getting mixed reviews on what is best aftermarket lower control arm LCA ball joint.
Thanks

K

Pretty straight forward install.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 AM
CRCs_Reality
2005 WK 

Quote:
Hi: what tool set did you use to press the LBJs out?

I want to pick up a set, but heard some are worse than others.

Thinking of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BUI5VCW?psc=1

Thanks

K
I used the one my local Advance Auto has as a loaner:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/p...ll+joint+press

Worked great for the application, and since it was a loaner, it didn't cost me anything for the tool

2005 WK Limited, 5.7, QDII , 2" BB, 255/70R18's on JK Alloys <<== SOLD
Silver WK Club Member #116
post #12 of 14 Old 04-14-2016, 11:42 AM
omsok

2007 WK 

Thanks.

I saw some feedback saying it was a coarse thread, and if ball joint was stuck was difficult to get the necessary torque to push it out. Dunno.

I ordered the one off Amazon. Will see how it goes. Eventually I will do my rears as well.

Nick Kolak set me up with the Moog bushings and lower balljoints for a great price, and a trust worthy source. Got the JBA UCLs, new CV and quick disconnects to go in as well.

Will give some feedback on it after I start/finish the job.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0089 2.jpg   IMG_0033.jpg  
post #13 of 14 Old 07-20-2017, 05:10 AM
ChrisWH

Quote:
Thanks.

I saw some feedback saying it was a coarse thread, and if ball joint was stuck was difficult to get the necessary torque to push it out. Dunno.

I ordered the one off Amazon. Will see how it goes. Eventually I will do my rears as well.

Nick Kolak set me up with the Moog bushings and lower balljoints for a great price, and a trust worthy source. Got the JBA UCLs, new CV and quick disconnects to go in as well.

Will give some feedback on it after I start/finish the job.
G'day, just after some feedback on this install? Cheers!
post #14 of 14 Old 07-20-2017, 08:00 AM
omsok

2007 WK 

Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWH View Post
G'day, just after some feedback on this install? Cheers!
Hi: To do it again I would just buy lower control arms. Whatever quality improvement I achieved in buying the ball joints and putting them in myself was likely negligible, and it is a real PITA job. I did my diff bushings at the same time, and they were no easier. The only feedback on that is go with PU instead of rubber. One of my Crown bushings failed within 8 months, and I now have to dig into that again. Luckily it is the easier to fix T-bone one up front. http://www.jeeperf.com/product-page/...al-bushing-set That is my opinion. The press worked ok, along with a vice, a big hammer, and a an even bigger hammer. Wear steel toes because those arms are heavy and hard to hold. If you have a friend or a shop that will press them out, and press them back in that is the better option. In fact in retrospect, I think that is actually what I did for the bigger Bush in the LCA. If you buy total replacements, you can also rebuild your old ones at your leisure, and sell on, or have as backup if the complete sets wear out in the next cpl years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in