05 WK Hemi Limited hard shifting - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-07-2020, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Axis750

05 WK Hemi Limited hard shifting

My 05 Limited recently started having a problem with hard shifts going into 3rd and sometimes not wanting to go into 5th. I'm used to it not wanting to go into 5th til about 65 or so but sometimes it just won't do it at all. Hard shifts seem to happen mostly when it's warm but it happens cold or warm. Doesn't happen all the time and shifting into all other gears is smooth. I've Googled and didn't come up with much other than possibly the shift control module thing under the shifter possibly needing to be cleaned. Could that be it or am I looking at something a little more costly? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-10-2020, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Axis750

98 views and nobody has had this problem?
post #3 of 5 Old 08-10-2020, 08:15 AM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

I'll give it a go.
---Are any DTC's showing?
---How many miles are on the vehicle?
---Have you checked the fluid level?
---When is the last time (if ever since you've owned it) was the transmission serviced......fluid/filters?
---Anything (mods, maintenance, etc) been done to the vehicle recently?
---When is the last time the engine was tuned up?
---What kind of fuel economy are you getting....in town and on the highway?

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-10-2020, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Axis750

No trouble codes other than the persistent low tire warnings; currently has about 160k; fluid level is normal; I've had it about 2 years and never serviced it, but I don't drive it much; No mods, recently replaced coils and spark plugs (about 2 weeks ago); fuel mileage has actually gone up a little since replacing coils/plugs. As I said, I don't drive it that much because I have a work vehicle, but it usually gets around 17-18 if I can keep it in MDS.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-10-2020, 03:54 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Since you don't know if/when the transmission has been serviced, I think I'd start with that. If you have the job done, be sure to be there to see what if anything is in the bottom of the pan, paying particular attention to color/smell of fluid (redish/not burnt), and if there is any debris in it and/or metal sticking to the magnet. If there is any stuff that looks kind of like rag lint, it may be and indication of clutch wear. Whoever does the job, make absolute sure they follow the correct installation instructions in the FSM when installing the main (flat) filter. Not following the instructions can cause transmission failure in relatively short order. Also, if you have it done, be sure they know what they're doing. It seems that many so-called reputable shops get you in there and end up telling you that you need a new transmission for $3000-4000. It happened to me the ONLY time I've ever taken my car to any place for a "second" opinion. I knew better though. It ended up costing me $200 (I did the work) instead of paying the "highly recommended" shop $3500 for a rebuilt transmission that would not have fixed the problem. To this day, I wonder how far they would have tried to milk my pocket book, if I didn't have some knowledge about the transmission.

What did you use for a code reader, as a lot of the less expensive readers don't read transmission codes except for the generic P0700 which tells you there is some sort of problem with the transmission that requires more investigation.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in