'05 WK Hemi high mileage list of problems - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 53 Old 04-07-2018, 10:41 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

^^ in addition to what RCS1300 said.. if you DID remove your front drive shaft, just know that the jeep may roll with the transmission in park. ( I think that was confirmed in this forum somewhere but I can't find it now)

When I put mine on ramps, I put 1 ramp on the right front and one on the left rear or vice versa. Works great for oil changes .

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 04-09-2018, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
99sajeep

2005 WK 

I use the parking brake while on the ramps.

I think the ramps will hold the Jeep just fine. I've used them with the diesel Excursion we used to have when I would change its oil. That was the only way to get a 5-gallon bucket underneath to catch the 15 qts of oil!

We have a 1-1/2" lip in our driveway that the ramps sit up against to keep them from sliding. I get up on the ramps slowly, and then let everything sit for a bit before I go underneath. Just in case...

I do appreciate the concerns, though. Thanks.

'99 WJ 4x4 Ltd 4.7L (sold)
'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 200k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)
post #33 of 53 Old 04-09-2018, 08:10 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sajeep View Post
I use the parking brake while on the ramps.

I think the ramps will hold the Jeep just fine. I've used them with the diesel Excursion we used to have when I would change its oil. That was the only way to get a 5-gallon bucket underneath to catch the 15 qts of oil!

We have a 1-1/2" lip in our driveway that the ramps sit up against to keep them from sliding. I get up on the ramps slowly, and then let everything sit for a bit before I go underneath. Just in case...

I do appreciate the concerns, though. Thanks.
That's why my 7.3L was on 37s! I could sit Indian style with a 5 gallon bucket for all of that oil!

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,

post #34 of 53 Old 08-08-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
99sajeep

2005 WK 

Wife noticed another issue this past weekend with the Jeep. Seems my 3rd brake light (top of the rear hatch) is intermittently working. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't!
Pulled it out last night to see if anything was blatantly obvious...no luck! Wiggle the wires and it goes out and comes back on. I tried to tighten up the connections a little. Didn't seem to make much difference.
Did notice that the light repeatedly went out if I pushed the wire connector in hard. (That just means I can't add a zip-tie to it to make it work...)

The fix? Don't know yet. Not sure if I even helped the situation or not! Time will tell...

post #35 of 53 Old 08-08-2018, 12:12 PM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Wife noticed another issue this past weekend with the Jeep. Seems my 3rd brake light (top of the rear hatch) is intermittently working. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't!
Pulled it out last night to see if anything was blatantly obvious...no luck! Wiggle the wires and it goes out and comes back on. I tried to tighten up the connections a little. Didn't seem to make much difference.
Did notice that the light repeatedly went out if I pushed the wire connector in hard. (That just means I can't add a zip-tie to it to make it work...)

The fix? Don't know yet. Not sure if I even helped the situation or not! Time will tell...

Is it LED? If so, I bet you can unplug it and buy a new one. https://www.amazon.com/2005-2010-GRA.../dp/B0041DQ79U

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way
post #36 of 53 Old 08-08-2018, 12:21 PM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:

Also....alll the issues you posted and this one for a veicle that has consistently seen 13K a year for 14 years... Youre doing good. If you dont like fixing things instead of having a payment, go get a new payment. The WK2s are pretty sweet. Id suggest a 14 or newer hemi. And change the water pump. ha

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way
post #37 of 53 Old 08-08-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
99sajeep

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
If you dont like fixing things instead of having a payment, go get a new payment.
I like fixing things...it's my way to disconnect from the stress of work, life, etc. I've always been a tinkerer! And I don't do payments very well. Out of 4 vehicles, a motorhome, and a boat, we only have one payment - the motorhome. Everything else is paid for, including the house!

Yes it is LED with one burned out. Other 4 are still working. But I hate to just go out and buy a replacement light when this one still works, although not all the time. The issue is definitely somewhere between the wires and the circuit board.

I have a state inspection coming up next month, but luckily TX doesn't require the 3rd brake light to work as long as the regular tail lights are working! I think this has been going on since we've owned the truck - 2014.

post #38 of 53 Old 09-05-2018, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
99sajeep

2005 WK 

New item to be added to list:

So for about 8 months now, I've noticed a small leak coming off the top portion of the Driver's A-pillar when going thru a car wash, or after a hard rain. Just like you're thinking right now, I originally thought if was sunroof drain related. But I've been blowing out the front drains for the last 2 years now and I know they're clean. Also pulled the drain out of the floor and it has no restriction on the end. But I still get a leak, although somewhat inconsistent.

Fast forward to this past Monday morning (9/3/18) and we get a much needed heavy downpour. I was already planning to change the oil that day and I get in the Jeep only to find out that water has dripped out of the upper mounting bolt location on the driver's A-pillar and into the dash cubby and then on to the floor.

Oil change morphed into pulling the headliner to try and track this down.

After a couple hours with a hose running trying to pin-point the actual leak (my sunroof drains stayed dry this entire time), it finally showed up. My windshield is leaking from around the top driver's corner under the sealant and then seeping in through the body seams just above the sun visor mount. (Not the screw hole that you see here, but under the glass)

Time to fix it...

Had to hit a 2nd time last night, but I think I've got it all covered now (cross my fingers). I squeezed this window sealant into, behind, and completely on top of the upper windshield seal and then down the sides. I also ran a long bead of it inside along the top of the glass/body seal.

It's not my best work, but this stuff is very sticky until cured, and clean-up is a real pain. If this doesn't stop the leaking, then my only other option is a full replacement of the windshield...

post #39 of 53 Old 09-05-2018, 08:39 PM
brent_m

Quote:
New item to be added to list:

So for about 8 months now, I've noticed a small leak coming off the top portion of the Driver's A-pillar when going thru a car wash, or after a hard rain. Just like you're thinking right now, I originally thought if was sunroof drain related. But I've been blowing out the front drains for the last 2 years now and I know they're clean. Also pulled the drain out of the floor and it has no restriction on the end. But I still get a leak, although somewhat inconsistent.

Fast forward to this past Monday morning (9/3/18) and we get a much needed heavy downpour. I was already planning to change the oil that day and I get in the Jeep only to find out that water has dripped out of the upper mounting bolt location on the driver's A-pillar and into the dash cubby and then on to the floor.

Oil change morphed into pulling the headliner to try and track this down.

After a couple hours with a hose running trying to pin-point the actual leak (my sunroof drains stayed dry this entire time), it finally showed up. My windshield is leaking from around the top driver's corner under the sealant and then seeping in through the body seams just above the sun visor mount. (Not the screw hole that you see here, but under the glass)

Time to fix it...

Had to hit a 2nd time last night, but I think I've got it all covered now (cross my fingers). I squeezed this window sealant into, behind, and completely on top of the upper windshield seal and then down the sides. I also ran a long bead of it inside along the top of the glass/body seal.

It's not my best work, but this stuff is very sticky until cured, and clean-up is a real pain. If this doesn't stop the leaking, then my only other option is a full replacement of the windshield...
Wow, you really hit it hard!!! You tore that headliner up!

I know that black strip on the top was deleted after 2005. I hate to ask after the fact, but do you think you could have removed that black plastic strip before applying your fix? It looks like you've filled that void with caulk so you probably nailed it.

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7 Hemi - Airaid CAI - Magnaflow
post #40 of 53 Old 09-06-2018, 05:39 AM
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

How difficult and how long did it take to remove the headliner?
post #41 of 53 Old 09-06-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
99sajeep

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_m View Post
I hate to ask after the fact, but do you think you could have removed that black plastic strip before applying your fix? It looks like you've filled that void with caulk so you probably nailed it.
If you notice on the side-view pic of the windshield, there is a lip that appears to sit under the top edge of the glass. Well, it does and is subsequently stuck in the goo that the factory used to seal the glass to the body. I tried... It didn't budge!

After the first attempt at putting sealant behind that strip ultimately failed, I decided to fill it up and extend it at least an 1/8" onto the paint.

As of this afternoon's car wash and last night's dowsing with a hose for 30 mins, I have no more leaks!!! Time to put it all back together.

Quote:
How difficult and how long did it take to remove the headliner?
It was about 1-1/2 hrs total to take it out. I've done this sort of thing before, but I still spent about 10 mins studying it ahead of time so I didn't get stumped mid-stream.

A-pillar covers, C-pillar covers, and rear D-pillar covers have to be removed. C-pillars can hang as seatbelts go thru them. The B-pillar covers I loosened, but used them to help hold the headliner while I disconnected all the wires. You can then push them in and out of the way of the headliner as they don't tend to want to move much because of the seatbelts and the lower portion of the covers (to the floor).

I have a sunroof control in the upper console and a DVD screen that all had to be removed also so that took an extra couple minutes. Lots of wires... There is a wire harness that runs along the driver's side of the headliner that plugs in at the D-pillar in the back. 3 plug connections, although I'm still unsure what all I disconnected - radio/speakers all work, rear defrost works, rear wiper works. You'll also have to disconnect the rear-wiper-spit tube. It has a disconnect right behind the 3rd brake light on the hatch, and also on the driver's A-pillar.

At the rear most side-window portion of the headliner, there is a small plastic strip that is screwed in place. It is about 1" wide x 14" long and on both sides of the headliner (Right & Left, and top & bottom - 3 screws each). Once removed, you'll see 3 oblong holes in the headliner in line with each other. You will have to fold over the outer edge of the headliner at these holes in order to squeeze it out thru the back of the vehicle. There is no other way to get it out. Any crease in the headliner because of the fold will be covered back up by those plastic strips.

I did it by myself, but it definitely would have been easier with an extra pair of hands...

Last edited by 99sajeep; 09-07-2018 at 06:06 AM. Reason: edit typos
post #42 of 53 Old 11-16-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
99sajeep

2005 WK 

2 month update with large amounts of rain since...
Still no leaks! :cross fingers:

post #43 of 53 Old 12-08-2018, 08:16 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

Thanks for posting all this, esp the rad replacement which if you own an older Jeep, sooner or later you're going to have to do it and the water pump. I did the rad on our old '98 back in 2011 or so, while the ZJ is much simpler than the WK, the space round the rad is very limited and makes the job a bit fiddly. Used an OE rad and water pump, still fine now.

About the windshield....if the windshield was ever replaced....like mine....it is sometimes possible that the urethane adhesive did not bond the windshield 100%. I had mine done a few years ago and then a few months later, I started to get an odd rattling/flexing noise right at the driver's side windshield pillar. I put my fingers on the windshield and could feel the windshield moving! Took it back to the glass place and they re-did it for me. And before the noise, I noticed a small leak on the driver's floor mat...just something to think about....
Attached Thumbnails
old rad.jpg   old rad out.jpg   new rad.jpg  

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #44 of 53 Old 04-29-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
99sajeep

2005 WK 

Finally installed my catch can...

Got my catch can installed yesterday.

15/32" hose slips over the intake/PCV ports just perfect. It was a little tight on the 5/8" nipples coming off the can, but it works.

My bracket was just a small piece of 1/8" x 1/2" flat bar that (miraculously) had holes already spaced out for mounting the can. I hung it all off the ground location on the passenger side firewall.

Catch can is from Espeeder - 300 mL with a dipstick. Cheap, but it'll do.
ESpeeder catch can

post #45 of 53 Old 05-15-2019, 06:36 PM
aweb25
2008 WK 

Your not alone, I have an 08 WK with the 3.0L. It has 198000kms and in the last 10000 or so Iíve had both the driveshafts go bad (which pissed me off when I found the rear is not servicable) passenger side half shaft and drivers side 4000km later, swirl motor (which the mechanic snapped a linkage), a bad bearing in the front diff, rear main oil seal, brake booster, and the latest is a rattling noise I thought was drivetrain as it would only happen when driving but the other day when I started it and the noise happened worse than ever and at idle, I shut it off and came out later to try and diagnose with a diesel mechanic buddy that thought it sounded like a bad turbo only to throw a P0336 code for the crank sensor. Now I understand a lot of this stuff will happen at any time but I just think itís fishy that it all happens within (and probably less) 10000kms lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in