'05 WK Hemi high mileage list of problems - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 Old 11-29-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
99sajeep

2005 WK 

'05 WK Hemi high mileage list of problems

This thread started as my list of problems to complain about, but has morphed into my list of things fixed. My own take on a build thread...

The list of things becoming a problem with my Jeep have just seemed to pile up higher and higher. A lot of them are trivial & small, but there just seems to be a lot of them lately.

Currently at 209k miles (as of 6/2/2019)...
- EGR throwing a code (replaced)
- Bad front shocks (replaced)
- control arm bushings are bad (on the wait list)
- interior door handles falling apart (replaced) - this thread, post 11
- Hemi starting to burn oil (minor issue)
- typical Hemi valvetrain "tick"
- leather in driver seat cracking and coming apart (replaced)
- orig. radio is starting fail: sound drops to low level, then comes back up randomly, eventually quits after awhile (replaced amp - fixed)
- Bad rear shocks (replaced)
- 3rd set of brake pads
- starter (replaced)
- trans fluid/filters replaced (currently has a random 3-to-4 hard shift at light throttle around 40-45 mph) updated - see post below
- replaced spark plugs (I believe these were the originals)
- bad tire pressure sensors (replaced)
- A/C compressor replaced (about 1.5 yrs ago-just wanted to add it here)
- bad air blend door motor(replaced)
- "Service 4LO" warning light (pulled fuse, no problems so far....yet!)
- stripped out bolt on skid plate (replaced)
- alternator (replaced @ 190k, replaced again at 204k)

In the 3 years we've had this Jeep (2nd GC we've had), I've also replaced both headlights, both fog lights, the grill (all just wear & tear, no vehicle damage as cause). I'm also waiting on windshield replacement for a bit. I have 4 rock chips in it now, but they're not in my line of sight. I rack up a lot of miles thru work and I'd hate to pay a deductible for replacement, and just get another chip in a couple weeks!

Anyway, I know it seems like I'm *****ing, and most all of this stuff can be attributed to normal wear on a high mileage vehicle. But it just seems like the majority of it has come just recently and one right after the other. Like in the last 3 days have been the front shocks, then the door handles, the control arm bushings, and now the EGR valve today!

Don't get me wrong, I love driving this truck. I loved driving my old '99 too! I'll keep this thing until it just doesn't make sense to keep pouring money down it's throat.

I'm just venting today...

Edit to add to list:
- radiator replaced this thread, post 19
- P0750 code - Switch Solenoid A (new code thrown 3/20/18) Fixed - this thread, post 28
- identified & hopefully fixed windshield leak this thread, post 38
- C102B code; replaced Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor this thread, post #47

'99 WJ 4x4 Ltd 4.7L (sold)
'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 200k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)

Last edited by 99sajeep; 03-20-2018 at 08:06 AM. Reason: keeping a running list of things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 11-29-2017, 01:32 PM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Yep, I've done what you listed and more. My 05 has 87,000 original miles. Age and use cause these issues.
post #3 of 52 Old 11-30-2017, 08:48 PM
optdoug

2006 WK 

Your list doesn't sound too bad for the age and mileage. I've done some of the stuff you have listed. Although a few of those parts are a real pain to remove and replace.

The only thing on my jeep that took me by surprise was a dropped valve seal. That was something I read about but didn't think it would happen to me. So now some 7K dollars latter it's on the road again. Although I have to say that it runs better than ever. And it was a whole lot less than replacing the whole jeep. No way I could have found one that runs better than this one for 7K dollars.

And I should probably add that I probably could have gotten it done for a lot less had I gone the cheap route. But the thought of having a fresh fully rebuilt motor was just too tempting for me to resist. So I spent the money. I saved the bad piston and it's now a paperweight reminder of what happened.
Attached Thumbnails
20171115_112614_1512100386603.jpg  

2006 Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7 L HEMI QDII,Dark Khaki
OME HD Lift, 255 70 17 Tires

post #4 of 52 Old 12-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Jpe61

Well, as optdoug stated above, that's not too bad. I don't think shocks, bushings, brake pads and spark plugs should even be listed there, that's just normal wear and tear. Alternator, starter and A/C are also pretty much expected service items in a car that's 12y / 182k.

EGR + oil burning is something I'd be looking into, Service 4LO too. Not that even they are too surprising, but just to keep things from escalating...

I guess you'd call yourself lucky if the list was shorter. I had a Ford stw that ran for almost 300000 miles with just a blown head gasket (of course, the aforementioned "normal" items had to be taken care of). Best car ever. Then again, I've had three Alfas, a whole different story there
post #5 of 52 Old 12-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpe61 View Post
... 12y / 182k...EGR + oil burning is something I'd be looking into....
My factory EGR valve (during bankruptcy days) was failing at ~45K miles. It was replaced in warranty and is now just starting to go again at 10y / 143K miles later.
During that same period, the HEMI was using oil faster than I believe it should have been doing. We did an oil consumption program; Jeep told me that 1 qt / 1,000 miles is considered "within normal limits" (WNL). I personally believe this is too much, but it is similar to Ford's proclamation about 15 yrs ago.
My HEMI uses less oil on full synthetic than it does on conventional oil. Now, it consumes ~ 1-1.5 qts synthetic oil per 5,000 miles (between oil changes).

For brake pads, I changed the factory rear pads and rotors at ~60K miles with Raybestos advanced technology pads and rotor. Still going strong.
The front bakes pads & rotors are factory originals (with 168K miles on them. The pads are finally getting to the point where replacement is in order. I just received Raybestos Advanced Technology front pads to replace them.
On these new Jeeps, the rear pads should wear down first under moderate normal driving. Opposite of what I was always told, but this came from a local Jeep Offroad Shop owner.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #6 of 52 Old 12-02-2017, 06:55 PM
brent_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
The front bakes pads & rotors are factory originals (with 168K miles on them. The pads are finally getting to the point where replacement is in order. I just received Raybestos Advanced Technology front pads to replace them.
On these new Jeeps, the rear pads should wear down first under moderate normal driving. Opposite of what I was always told, but this came from a local Jeep Offroad Shop owner.
Yeah, I did my brakes at Les Schwab and had them do the Raybestos "performance" rotors/pads. IMHO one of the best upgrades I've done. I've had three JGC and one Commander, and they all warp rotors within 30k. These, so far, have held up and I've got more than 60k on them.

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7 Hemi - Airaid CAI - Magnaflow
post #7 of 52 Old 12-03-2017, 06:18 AM
Joeyicu

1998 ZJ 

Your list is shorter then mine, for my 05. My 05 has 144k.

It also less expensive. It looks like normal items for a 160k vehicle.

(2011 BMW X5 V8TT) {2005 WK Hemi } -1995 Ford Tbird- [1984 F250 6.9]
post #8 of 52 Old 12-03-2017, 06:29 AM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_m View Post
.....I've had three JGC and one Commander, and they all warp rotors within 30k. These, so far, have held up and I've got more than 60k on them.
On my 4th JGC also ('08, '03, '00, '97). This a possibly an addiction worth of professional treatment.

The earlier models did have rotor issues. This WK seems to have better materials and definitely has more durability. My '08 WK rear brake pads and rotors lasted 60K miles. At 168K miles, there is no indication of warping on the front rotors.
I would have replaced the front pads with the same MOPAR grade as the factory installed, except they are way too expensive. This is the top level pad material (I think there are 3 levels avaialble) and cost ~$180 per axle. [You have to be alert as MOPAR has a "quality" grade pads that are about 1/3 the price but probably perform at the same level.
The Raybestos Advanced Technology pads were ~$55 per axle, have good performance, good durability, and do not squeal.

'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #9 of 52 Old 12-04-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
99sajeep

2005 WK 

Well, the radio hasn't worked at full volume for 2 days now.
Replacing the spark plugs wasn't that bad, but at over $50 for 16 plugs, it was something I'm not used to.

We had an '87 BMW 325is that had over 300k miles on it when we sold it. Only replaced 5 things in 150k miles (oil/fluid changes don't count):
- A/C compressor
- timing belt (twice)
- LSD differential (bearings)
- brakes
- tires
Still wish we had that car!

I got my new door handles in the mail this weekend. Will start on them tonight.

post #10 of 52 Old 12-05-2017, 06:30 AM
brent_m

@Walt - Good to hear they fixed the rotors. I remember they had a recall on my 98 - and the replaced rotors warped just as fast. Just long enough to get me beyond the warranty. I don't think I'll go back to OEM rotors or pads though, there are good third party options that look nicer....

I could tell as the line progressed in years that they were cutting costs. I guess all the small issues aside, I hope the valve seats hold up for me in the long run. I can deal with all the other issues, but I don't want to sink a bunch of dough into engine repair. I have a bunch of parts to rebuild the cooling system, in hopes it'll extend the life of the engine. I just haven't had the time or the will to get back in there and replace parts that work fine for the moment.

post #11 of 52 Old 12-05-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
99sajeep

2005 WK 

Door handles from http://www.thrasherhandles.com went on last night. All four doors took about an hour to complete. Very easy. Also found out that the front passenger handle had previously been "glued" back together by a PO...

Before:

After:

post #12 of 52 Old 12-05-2017, 01:36 PM
brent_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sajeep View Post
Door handles from http://www.thrasherhandles.com went on last night. All four doors took about an hour to complete. Very easy. Also found out that the front passenger handle had previously been "glued" back together by a PO...
Looks nice! And it's a good color match to the existing trim!

post #13 of 52 Old 12-06-2017, 01:35 PM
optdoug

2006 WK 

Quote:
That looks great. (Minus the massive amount of spooge the po put on it.) I'm gonna have to order a set. Every handle on mine is broken. Three of them still work, but they are missing some plastic so I'm sure it won't be long before they are inoperable like the one in the back.

post #14 of 52 Old 12-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
...the radio hasn't worked at full volume for 2 days now....
My radio (MyGig code REN) has no sound on the passenger's side. This will be my 4th head unit (after installing new speakers and new amp earlier).
Recommend you check the connections in the dash first....mine were corroded, causing the first replacements (when it was under warranty).
Diagnosis costs ~$100 and refurbished head unit costs ~$300. As a result, I listen to the driver's side for now.
Recommend you NOT consider an REN head unit. That design seems to be unreliable. I could not get the head unit and Sirius to work at the same time and finally just gave up. Think the MyGig upgrade with nav is code RER.

post #15 of 52 Old 12-06-2017, 08:57 PM
optdoug

2006 WK 

Quote:
Well, the radio hasn't worked at full volume for 2 days now.
Replacing the spark plugs wasn't that bad, but at over $50 for 16 plugs, it was something I'm not used to.

We had an '87 BMW 325is that had over 300k miles on it when we sold it. Only replaced 5 things in 150k miles (oil/fluid changes don't count):
- A/C compressor
- timing belt (twice)
- LSD differential (bearings)
- brakes
- tires
Still wish we had that car!

I got my new door handles in the mail this weekend. Will start on them tonight.
Welcome to the world of modern day automobiles. I used to have two 95 Jeep XJ's. Both of them made it to 300K miles with just a few repairs like yours. Unfortunately, they are just not made that way anymore. Newer cars have lots of technology in them. Most of them are luxury items like entertainment systems, NAV's and sensors of some sort. And then there are sensors that monitor the sensors. Luckily, with the exception on my valve seat drop, most of my problems have been fairly simple sensor replacements of some sort. But what puzzles me is that with all this technology they are putting in automobiles, the only sensors they don't have are the ones that could really be of some importance. Like fluid levels. lack of fluids is one of those things that can really mess up your Jeep bad. Really really bad. You could be wheeling or just driving down the road and hit something that creates a bad leak of some kind. The only way you would know is if the engine or transmission goes BOOM! So yeah, it would be nice to have something monitoring those fluid levels. Maybe technology hasn't evolved that much yet. But it's probably more like marketing departments figured out that cars would last too long if you monitored those important fluids.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in