05 WK 5.7L Overheating above 55mph... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-09-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Minjarez

2005 WK 

05 WK 5.7L Overheating above 55mph...

Howdy.
I have an 05 WK (Big Bertha) and she has been throwing a fit the last few months. I have a feeling I know whats going out with her now, but I'd like to see what y'all think.

When she warms up and is idling, like at a stop sign or red light, she sits at the 50% mark on the temp gauge. That has been the normal operating temp since I've had her. But lately the fan is trying harder to keep her at 50% at idle. It sounds like I'm driving a semi when I'm idling.
When I get to interstate speeds, +60mph, she starts overheating bad getting too close to red-line, 75% plus. As soon as I start to slow down she cools off to 50% quickly.

Now, I've had the radiator, water pump, thermostat, alternator, and tensioner pulley replaced within the last year. I was hearing the fan at idle a few months ago but it didn't come back until I replaced the alternator last week.
I'm getting good heat and A/C at both Idle and speed.

I also have a code, but I'm 85% sure it is unrelated. It is P0197, Engine Oil Temperature Sensor Circuit Low Input. My MDS has been working hit and miss lately and I think this sensor is the culprit. I plan to replace that soon but I don't think that's causing my overheating @ speed. Any thoughts?

As always, Thanks for any help or suggestions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-09-2015, 06:22 PM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Do you have a scanner so you can double check the coolant temperature at 60mph? Also check the coolant temperature sensor to make sure it is working correctly.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-09-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Minjarez

2005 WK 

I just have a code reader. Don't think I can pull that up on it. It's an Actron OBD II autoscanner

post #4 of 7 Old 03-10-2015, 06:36 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Also, according to the Factory Service Manual a higher percentage of antifreeze, ethylene-Glycol, (over 50/50) can cause the engine to overheat because the specific heat of antifreeze is lower than that of water.

Here are some other possible causes from the Factory Service Manual:

Is the temperature gauge reading correctly?
Is the coolant low?
Is the pressure cap on the radiator loose?
Is there a poor seal on the radiator cap?
Is coolant not flowing through the system?
Is the radiator core corroded or plugged?
Is the thermostat partially or completely shut?
Is the heater core leaking?
Is a cylinder head gasket leaking?
Is the drive belt loose?
Is the water pump impeller loose on the shaft?

I would check over a few things and then if the problem is not obvious take the jeep to the Dealer and have them fix it. If your engine has aluminum heads, and I believe it does, overheating can become a very expensive problem ($3,000+) very fast.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-10-2015, 07:02 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minjarez View Post
I just have a code reader. Don't think I can pull that up on it. It's an Actron OBD II autoscanner
Where it says coolant temperature in the link below.

https://actron.com/content/obd-ii-autoscanner
post #6 of 7 Old 03-10-2015, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Minjarez

2005 WK 

Yeah, I found that as well. I'm thinking my fan clutch is going out. I'm going to try the sensor first as that's $20 versus $800. As for the scanner I believe mine is an old school version. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20150310_082350.jpg  
post #7 of 7 Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minjarez View Post
Yeah, I found that as well. I'm thinking my fan clutch is going out. I'm going to try the sensor first as that's $20 versus $800. As for the scanner I believe mine is an old school version. Here's a pic.
A couple of short cuts that you may already know. When the engine is warmed up feel both the intake and exit hoses on each unit (1) the radiator and (2) the heater core (right before the firewall). Both intake and exit hoses to these two units should be warm/hot to the touch. If not there is a coolant flow issue. That could mean a blockage or a pumping issue.

Given the service that you have completed my best guess, and it is only a guess, is that there may be a blockage in the heater core. It would explain the symptoms of hot while idling and very hot while driving on the highway.

Tags
5.7l , hemi , overheating , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in