• 1 Post By jtec
  • 1 Post By yzjwk
  • 1 Post By 99sajeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-09-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
IggyBrown
2005 WK 

05 GC Laredo Trans Issue

Alright, really scratching my head on this one as I have not ever worked on a Jeep till this one. (Was in need of a second vehicle so was gifted to me by my brother)

When starting the vehicle idle is fine and nothing seems amiss. As soon as I put it into any gear and try to drive it acts like it has no power and the rpms just rev into 3-4K just to move a couple inches. If I let the vehicle warmup for 10mins or so there’s no problems and it acts fine.

I figured maybe ESM so took is out and cleaned the graphite streaks off the board and it feels a little bit better when I shift through gears but nothing extraordinary. So a no go there. Waste of 20 minutes.

Trans fluid and filter was changed 5k-ish miles ago, still pinkish red but smells slightly burnt instead of sweet. My grandparents had it towed off their property to their trans guy and he said everything is pointing towards the TCM. He also said it was on the transmission and would cost 1200 to replace; which pardon me if I’m wrong but I thought it was in the drivers side dash?

Vehicle is at 210k and has had constant electrical issues that finally got taken care of and now it’s just this issue and a door blend actuator I need to fix. Any ideas how I should approach this? Maybe tps, solenoid, or the like?

Last edited by IggyBrown; 03-09-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-09-2019, 11:34 AM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

start by confirming the trans fluid level, appearance RED, no silver flakes in fluid.

SCAN for codes - USE a scanner, Post all codes someone will reply. If scanner will not communicate with NAG1 TCM check TSB's

The waiting to get going suggests fliter issue, installation.

Only 1 fluid for this trans ATF4 not universial not one type fits all just ATF4
2008HemiXK likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-09-2019, 03:20 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyBrown View Post
Alright, really scratching my head on this one as I have not ever worked on a Jeep till this one. (Was in need of a second vehicle so was gifted to me by my brother)

When starting the vehicle idle is fine and nothing seems amiss. As soon as I put it into any gear and try to drive it acts like it has no power and the rpms just rev into 3-4K just to move a couple inches. If I let the vehicle warmup for 10mins or so thereís no problems and it acts fine.

I figured maybe ESM so took is out and cleaned the graphite streaks off the board and it feels a little bit better when I shift through gears but nothing extraordinary. So a no go there. Waste of 20 minutes.

Trans fluid and filter was changed 5k-ish miles ago, still pinkish red but smells slightly burnt instead of sweet. My grandparents had it towed off their property to their trans guy and he said everything is pointing towards the TCM. He also said it was on the transmission and would cost 1200 to replace; which pardon me if Iím wrong but I thought it was in the drivers side dash?

Vehicle is at 210k and has had constant electrical issues that finally got taken care of and now itís just this issue and a door blend actuator I need to fix. Any ideas how I should approach this? Maybe tps, solenoid, or the like?
I agree with jtec , but Just in case youíre not aware, ATF4 is not pinkish red. It should be a dark cherry red and smell like gear oil. If it is actually pinkish or strawberry milkshake colour, that could indicate water in the fluid. Or if is a lighter red and smells more like hot rubber, it could be universal or dexron. Both would be bad. Did the same trans guy who changed the fluid the one that told you the TCM was at fault and located on the trans by chance??
You are correct regarding the TCM placement.
2008HemiXK likes this.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot

post #4 of 8 Old 03-09-2019, 05:46 PM
Nejeep

Location of TCM depends on which engine/transmission you have. The V6 with NAG1 transmission has a separate TCM located on drivers side near steering column. The V8 engines have a different transmission and no separate TCM, its built into the PCM.
I agree with previous suggestions to get the fluid level checked using the factory procedure which requires reading the fluid temperature and using a level correction chart. Then get the codes read.

06 Laredo - 4x4 V6 - Stone White - Custom LED Cargo Area Lights, Lighted Visors Added - now at 49k miles

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
post #5 of 8 Old 03-11-2019, 02:51 PM
99sajeep

2005 WK 

Here is a color reference for new ATF+4 fluid:
(old ATF+4 on the left; new ATF+4 on the right)

This is from when I changed fluid/filters on my '05 WK.
T1m likes this.

'99 WJ 4x4 Ltd 4.7L (sold)
'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 200k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)
post #6 of 8 Old 03-12-2019, 12:50 PM
brian-mcBride

I have a 2005 Jeeo Grand Cherokee and just did a spread fluid change. Now it won't shift while in drive and makes a whining sound. What could this be and what could be a answer?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-13-2019, 06:10 AM
99sajeep

2005 WK 

Fluid level good? Correct fluid in it? What transmission do you have? Filter seated correctly?

'99 WJ 4x4 Ltd 4.7L (sold)
'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 200k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)
post #8 of 8 Old 03-13-2019, 02:19 PM
SRT8Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-mcBride View Post
I have a 2005 Jeeo Grand Cherokee and just did a spread fluid change. Now it won't shift while in drive and makes a whining sound. What could this be and what could be a answer?
Check your fluid. Sounds like its low if its not leaking. Some WKs don't have a dip stick and needs to be monitored with a scan tool. I had to do this when I serviced my trans.

06 WK Laredo
18 Charger Hellcat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in