Thinking about a 72 to 75 cj5 for next project - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-26-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
mickri

Thinking about a 72 to 75 cj5 for next project

Hi
Been lurking here and other jeep forums for awhile. A couple of years back I was considering either resurrecting an old MG Midget or a CJ5. The midget won out. That project will be done hopefully early next year. The midget is getting a Toyota 3TC with a 5 speed swapped into it. Not a hard swap but not looking for another swap project.

So I am starting to look for a CJ5. Because I live California I don't want anything to do with a smog car. That means 1975 or older. I think that I have narrowed my search to a 72 to 75 CJ5 with a 258/4speed. I plan to keep it fairly stock with maybe a 2 to 3 inch suspension lift. Slightly oversize tires and rims. Nothing radical. The CJ5 will not be a daily driver. My DD is a 94 Dodge diesel. Budget is $5,000 max and ideally around $3,000 give or take.

So what should I be looking out for in a 72 to 75 CJ5 258?

Chuck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-26-2018, 10:57 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Rust, especially on the frame.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 4 Old 08-26-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
mickri

Oh I know about rust. I had to buy two midgets to end up with one good one because of rust. The midgets came as a package deal. One was so full of rust that it couldn't be saved and went to scrap after I had removed everything that was usable.

Any particular place on the frame to look for rust? What about the tub? Jeeps are so wide open that any rust in the tub should be visible. Being in California should help with the rust issue. I frequently see CJ5's in my price range. The right one will come along

post #4 of 4 Old 08-26-2018, 06:20 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Look more for cracks around the steering box and spring mounts. 72-75 frames aren't boxed past the firewall and don't rust like the later frames. Body rust in the normal spots, rear quarters and the front of the door openings.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in