Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Omg help me plz!!!

322 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Helen123 
#1 · (Edited)
I TRIED to get help here before and actually posted BUT I could NOT get back in to see anything..MY 2000 JEEP WRANGLER..4cyl Manual Jeepwill NOT pass smog due to CAT Monitor INCOMPLETE..I’ve spent 5MONTHS RUNNING between teh dealership and the BAR, Bureau Of AUTO REPAIR.. JEEP SAYS NO FIX AVAIL! BAR WILL NOT ALLOW A SECOND PASS as THE SAME PROCESS WENT DOWN 2 YEARS GO and STILLLL hEre I am.. I’m EXAUSTED and SOOOO Frustrated I just DONT KNOW what else I can do. Has ANYBODY ELSE HAD THIS “ experience” My TAGS were UP in NOV and STILL I don’t know what else I can do..PLZ PLZ HELP IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING OR CAN OFFER ANY ADVICE. I AM TRULY AT MY WITS END..ITS SHOCKING AND MY JEEP I JUST CANT DUMP! In case I can’t get back in again PLZZZZ HELP ME JEEPSTER PEOPLE

#2 ·
Look, I'm not a mechanic, but I know a little about engines. You need a mechanic to go over the Jeep. A problem like yours could have many causes, but the *most likely* boil down to 2: a partially or fully plugged catalytic converter, or a bad oxygen sensor.

Like I said, lots can go wrong to cause that code, but those are the most likely. Out of those two, the oxygen sensor is the cheapest to fix. A new catalytic converter is probably over a grand with labor. And if you do need a new one, they don't let you install an old one from the junkyard anymore, hell I don't even think it's legal now for a junkyard to sell a used cat.

Both are relatively easy to test. The oxygen sensor testing is best left to a mechanic though. You can check for a plugged cat yourself: just have someone rev the engine while you feel the force of the exhaust coming out the tailpipe. Don't burn yourself or plug the tailpipe, just hold your hand or a piece of paper about a couple inches away from the air stream. When they rev it, does it feel like it's moving a *lot* more air than at idle, more forcefully? Or is it just moving a little more air? If it's not moving a lot of air, the cat may be plugged. Not uncommon on older cars and trucks, especially ones not made to run on ethanol gas - i.e. just about anything made before 2005.

Anyhow, get it to a mechanic.

#3 ·
you did use a AUTHORIZED jeep dealer?

Speak with them* and ask if recall 8591 or 8592 has been performed.
the system had a reflash for catalyst monitor. DO NOT assume that because the vehicle is on done list it is done or that is only PCM as replacement PCM may not have reflash.

*AUTHORIZED jeep dealer

Reactions: Helen123
#4 ·
Thank You SO much. The guy for the B.A.R put it on a Fancy machine and read all the codes in $ sign results in the MODE $06 DATA..SIM-70 & NGC 1/11 ENGINE CONTROLLERS Codes came up $11 $51 & $53 he said that the #11 , #51 & #53 are showing up ... with the #11 being an Oxygen sensor .. I called Jeep dealership and they have NO clue what all that means..on the paper he printed me out he says to concentrate on replacing with FACTORY part oxygen sensor 11= O2 sensor q/1 HALF CYCLE SWITCH COUNTER. Can anyone tell me how many oxygen s sensors are in a 2000 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 , 4 cylinder manual Jeep? And which sensor it is for that code??? They are saying is it the sensor before or after the cat ..I don’t know .. are there’s only 2 sensors on the Jeep or more? If it’s only 2 I probably should have both repaired and the sensors themselves are $300 theynsaid then Labour to install so if someone can tell me how’s many o2 sensors or which particular one isn’t that code reading #11 I can order it direct myself..I sent there a part number I can look up that corresponds with that code #11??? I have some brain damage from a bad motor glen crash I was in so trying to keep up but I Thank You for your reply’s !!!

#5 ·
OK Helen ALOT of confusion, lets try to clear it up.

Here is what I would like you to do to help. Take a drive to an auto part store AUTOZONE, ADVANCE, ORIELYS, most of thiose will do FREE scans copy any codes and post here.

TMI -
The info you received appears to be hexadecimal 'code' in MODE 6 ($11 etc) from your PCM (computer). Very rarely utilized and would confuse anyone but a technician the advisers are clueless or good poker players.

Do NOT purchase anything without getting back to us.
REMEMBER part stores do this as a customer service to SELL PARTS.
EVEN if the part is ok, they SELL because the codes indicate the sensor is seeing bad info and may be just the messenger we do not shoot the messenger.

I get you some diagrams while you get those codes.

Reactions: Helen123
#6 ·
two o2 sensors.

The sensors ae a critical input to computer, it is advised you use only jeep parts OR NTK brand, they are available part stores and on line if dealer prices are prohibitive. A local shop could do the install and maybe help with getting NTK* sensors.

Lets be sure they are the issue BEFORE spending.

*NTK no other aftermarket brand,

Attachments

#7 ·
Yes i have been going Directly to and dealing with The JEEP/ CHRYSLER Dealership here in NAPA CA..called HANLEES. They said they have done everything they can..because of the recall they FLASHED the On lard computer with the UP TO DATE Software so nothing else they can do for me they said. So then I met with the chief guy JOHN BALTAZORE from the B.A.R who did this code reading and to,d me to go get that particular #11 O2 sensor , FACTORY PART installed. When I then called JEEP CHRYSLER they don’t know about these codes and asking me which O2 sensor I want to order..I just don’t know which it is..I’m so sick of it all... in that data is says #11 but iNIR Jeep know which one to order.,should I just replace BOTH ? Just to be safe..cost for part s and Labour will run 5-600$ BUT...will this solve “ The problem so my cat will complete the cycle and actually pass smog? Fkn lost in the fog still. I’m going to try and reach the BAR guy to see if he knows which i2 sensor he was talking about.. I Tank You ever so much for your input guys ..I’m grabbing into ALL and ANY info you can give here..THANKS and I will wait for any replies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.