1Likes
  • 1 Post By kbradley1983

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-04-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
kbradley1983
1985 CJ7 

Garage
New Jeep Enthusiast with a sidelined Jeep

I'm new to off-roading and Jeeps! I've been watching from the sidelines and lurking on these forums on-and-off since high school. I've been drawn to the community but without the funds to take the plunge. 20 years later, I finally got my mid life crisis, took the plunge, and bought a 1985 CJ7 Renegade. It is almost stock, has original paint, and is relatively rust free. Probably paid too much, but I've only seen prices go up over the last few years. I want to keep it pretty close to stock, but with a few minor upgrades. I have access to a great shop and will be doing a lot of work on it myself. It is a third vehicle and not a daily driver. I plan to use it mostly to access trout streams on Forest service roads with my wife and son; It will likely see about 70% road time and 30% trail time; No rock crawling. Here are some other equipment features:

- 258 Inline 6
- AMC 20 Rear Axle drum brakes
- Dana 30 Front Axle disc brakes
- 31" tires
- Hard top and hard doors
- full size spare tire on swinging tail gate

I recently burned out a bearing and almost lost the left rear wheel! I'm planning on new 1 piece axle shafts, drum brakes, and a suspension upgrade. The prior owner added wheel spacers, shackles, and mismatched leaf springs that I'm almost positive led to the failure.

I wanted to enjoy it without investing too much more in it for a few years, but the failure 2 months after purchasing means its time. I need to communities help, but again I'm new and learning so be gentle. Frankly, there is so much information and aftermarket support that I'm frankly overwhelmed by the options.

I'm drawn to the OME conversion I've been reading a lot about. Here are some of the things that are attractive:
- 2.5-3" lift without having to do extensive work on the Pinion angle.
- smoother ride with the upgrade the suspension to the 2.5 front leaf.
- relatively easy bolt on upgrade
- a kit that doesn't require months of sourcing parts and verifying fitment.
- a kit with flexibility to upgrade the leaf if I add significant weight in the future.

Can you help me pick the appropriate axles, a completely new rear drum kit, Leaf springs, shocks, mounting hardware, and other accessories that will make this thing road worthy again?

Other future Upgrades I'm considering:
- 32" tires with 3.75-4.5 offset and 15-18" wheels.
- Maybe rear disc? (talk me out of it)
- Ill buy a wench in the future
- I Also plan to upgrade the front and rear bumpers
- We will likely tow a small overland type trailer with the jeep as well

Thanks in advance.
KB

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1882.jpg   IMG_1881.jpg   IMG_1880.jpg   IMG_1879.jpg   IMG_1878.jpg  

Attached Images

islanderamy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-06-2018, 01:25 PM
islanderamy

2015 JK Wrangler 

Hey kbradley! I'm a newbie too so no help to you at all, sorry, but I loved reading your story and the part about mid-life crisis Jeep cuz I'm in the same boat as you. HA! Love the pics! That's a cool find you got there! Enjoy!
post #3 of 3 Old 12-10-2018, 06:23 AM
mrsig

2007 JK Wrangler 

and enjoy the forum!

07 JKU To see mods & my Jeep in Action @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.

Tags
axles , brakes , cj7 , first jeep , suspension advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in