I own a xj jeep.....what happened? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-21-2018, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
CORRIE-XJ

Garage
I own a xj jeep.....what happened?

So I met this new customer of our's a few months ago. He is all the way from the Nederlands and arrived at my workshop with this green wrapped Jeep. We had to do some minor work on it for him. As we spoke, he told me that they are here in South Africa to collect his Jeep were he stores it with a friend. They are preparing to do a 7 month trip up in Africa, and are having all the required accessories installed. Needless to say I was quite shocked and concerned about his choice of vehicle for an Africa trip. Nevertheless we did what we had to and he was on his way. He left SA and first stop was Namibia, there he encountered a technical issue. Left Namibia and travelled to Botswana, again, he had some electrical and mechanical issues. He decided to return to SA, sell the Jeep, and obtain another vehicle as he was not happy with the Jeep's behaviour. On his way into SA he had the final breakdown near OR Tambo Airport. Gearbox failure! So the Jeep got loaded on a truck and brought to our shop. Upon a quick inspection it was obvious that the gearbox was not right, making serious noises, shuddering and barely to not moving the Jeep at all. The quick assumption was gearbox internal failure. Estimate to repair R25 000 - R30 000. My customer gave me instruction to sell it for him as he now hired a 4x4 capable vehicle to complete his already delayed Africa trip. I made him an offer to buy and he accepted. I was now the owner of a Green Jeep. Focussing only to have the Jeep fixed asap to again re-sell, we started looking for the gearbox repair kit, second hand box, and a company prepared to assist with the recon. Jeep in SA is somewhat frowned upon.... So this last Saturday as we were rounding up the day in the shop, I told my staff to drain the gearbox oil. About 2Lt of black fluid emerged from that box. Dropped the sump and took out the filter. Completely blocked...cleaned it and fitted back, sealed sump and added fresh oil. Loosened the oil cooler hoses, started the engine up and box in Neutral, pumped out (flush) all oil until clean again. Topped up oil level and went to test. I was shocked, the box behaved and shifted better than before. No slipping or hard shifts, just perfect. So I planned a 4x4 track day for the next morning. Took that Jeep to all possible measures of track abuse and actually tried breaking it. Being a qualified technician I new what to do, and what not too. And even though I tried, it was just magic and one hell of a fun day. Now, my perception of XJ Jeep is overturned with surprise and respect! I think I will hang on to this one for sometime to come....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-24-2018, 08:03 AM
tomcat522

2002 WJ 

Garage
wow - welcome!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #3 of 3 Old 11-24-2018, 08:19 AM
1longcj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Have you seen this?
http://theroadchoseme.com/

Life is short, Play hard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in