Hi All my first post - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-03-2020, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
AdrianMAN

Hi All my first post

Hello everyone, I quick hello nothing serious, about me, I own 2 Jeeps, XJ 96 and ZJ 98
the ZJ I found when I accelerate by the throttle in the air breather the 4l motor grants more to a deeper sound and sounds like if it was cammed up V8 sound when compared to my XJ that too has a4L but it accelerates much faster or so it seems and it sounds like whisper quite like a Mazda ehw!! lol

on the road, the XJ will take off a lot faster compared to the ZJ I think it can be gearbox ratio as the ZJ feels like a limousine to take the kids to school (soccer mums car) compared to my XJ that feels like you are going deer hunting and put it on the roof rack as it can hold a decent rack to make a hotel, compared to the ZJ that was designed for some fishing rods and a surfboard.

Why my XJ has a 4-speed gearbox with a transfer case with 2WD 4WP N 4WH 4WL and the ZJ is 4WH N 4WL

I got the ZJ for 2 reasons one it was more presentable when going out as the XJ is dull, the paint is sun-damaged and the ZJ is black and shiny.

the second reason with COVID, I did not drive it for over a month and the XJ was park slightly on a forward angle in the driveway, when I take it for a spin and it started to do it after the staying home period, the 4-speed gearbox slips in 1 gear when the shifter is placed on 1-2 in the box.

From the day I purchased the XJ 1-2 felt more like 1 and 3 was more like 2-3 and D would introduce 4th
when I put it in D it will take off normally, provided that at the lights I do not drop it into N

I contacted Jeep Australia and they were as helpful as finding tits on a bull, given it is a '96 they suggested to look for cars at a salvage yard. I hate to see what they would say about my '74 VJ Valiant with a 265 4.3L lol

The XJ uses more fuel or just as much as my Valian and that has 6 45mm Sidedruft Carburettors 1 per piston known as Tripple webbers.

Yes!, the XJ uses Double the amount my ZJ will use. the Oxygen Sensors on the XJ are in need of replacement according to the code reader.

hopefully, if I do this the fuel consumption will get better and become slower like the ZJ lol

I have big tyres and a lift on the XJ the ZJ is standard tyres and lift with the gold rims.

This is my introduction to the forum and to show I may know something about the Chrysler Vehicles

if anyone knows why my XJ slips in 1st and reverse and not in drive, let me know, and it does it after the oil became hot or above 20 min driving.

Last edited by AdrianMAN; 08-03-2020 at 10:37 PM. Reason: wrong information given
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-03-2020, 11:37 PM
clsc7777

Welcome! You have a lot to digest then again you have several jeeps. The paint issue is not bad if you like to paint. Car companies in the 90's were still figuring out the whole 2 part and clear coat system which is why 90's vehicles have clear coat issues. Some good sanding and primer work on the bottom helps more than anything. I prefer Sherwin-Williams Jetglo system though. It takes ALOT of prep though for an aircraft quality shine.

1st thing if your auto transmission is slipping or missing is, check the fluid, if it is not pink it is bad. It needs the filter replaced and a good 2-3 cycles of fluid pushed through it. Some shops do a flush but most do not recommend that for risk of blowing loose deposits in the transmission further making the problem worse. Drain and fill then a week latter drain and fill again and do it agin if you want you will slowly cycle all the od fluid out of the system.

If your XJ is burning way more fuel than say 15 mpg....hmm something is wrong. You have leaks!
post #3 of 3 Old 08-03-2020, 11:42 PM
clsc7777

You probably need a full tune up on both! New plugs, wires, cap and rotor, coil, clean you throttle body, new air filter, pcv valves, check for vacuum leaks, fuel filter, oil change, and anything else you can think of! Start throwing parts/money at them. People ***** about maintenance on cars but a rebuild on a Lycoming O-320 flat 4 in a Cessna is like $20,000. So remember it can be worse!

Edit: Also most non starting problems will be, the starter. If it cranks, the Idle Air Control Valve and the Throttle Position Sensor on the throttle valve (Throttle Body) are always likely culprits. Keep that in mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in