Getting a toy - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-01-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
racksaw
1999 WJ 

Garage
Getting a toy

Hello all,

I have been reading through this forum for a couple of weeks and have the opportunity to purchase a 99 WJ tomorrow. It has a budget boost and an adjustable trackbar. I have been looking into what I will need to make this enjoyable as a weekender at some trails (mostly woods with some rock - not "rock crawling"). This will not be a daily driver but I would like to maintain some road manners to drive to said trails.

What I have researched so far has led to wanting a 3" lift (IRO), maintaining short arms (maybe upgrading to adjustables), Fox shocks, and undecided tire size. I do not have a goal for tire size but more clearance is always beneficial.

As always, please feel free to leave knowledge/opinions/guidance.

Also, I thought about creating a build thread for this one as every other project I have done is gone and forgotten. I enjoy reading through other builds and seeing the creativity so I may attempt it myself.

I look forward to hearing from everyone.

- Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 02:55 PM
Sjtrouble

1984 CJ7 

Well, if it was me, I would get some 16" diameter rims, it'll save you some money when getting new tires. I would do a 33"/32" (300 - 275) tires, they'll give you plenty of clearance. Width is up to you though. Pro competition makes a 16" X 8" rim that is pretty nice
post #3 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
racksaw
1999 WJ 

Garage
I found out the wheel size today, they are Black Rock wheels 16x9" I believe is what he told me. I would eventually like to get a spare in the same wheel or get a completely new set of 5 in a decent size. Currently, the tires are 275 Nittos on it. I also verified that it has a JKS adjustable trackbar, adjustable lower control arms, and JKS quicker disconnects on the front.

I am making plans for what will happen to the Jeep. I took a few pictures today when I picked it up and will post them later. What I have compiled so far (in no particular order):
Stereo
Real lift - IRO 3 inch springs
Spring isolators
5th wheel and tire (will probably happen when I choose my future wheel and size)
Sliders
Front recovery point - It came with tow hooks for a WJ in a box - bumper would be if I fell in some money and my wife didn't know
Rear recovery - likely going to put a hitch on it - again a bumper would be nice but not necessary

If there is anything anyone would like to recommend for some weekend wheeling (I plan on having necessary recovery equipment prior to) then please provide the input.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-11-2019, 10:04 AM
crat996

Garage
Sounds like a fun project..welcome
post #5 of 5 Old 12-12-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
racksaw
1999 WJ 

Garage
Thank you Sjtrouble for your input. I believe I have settled on the 16" rim but have not decided on width or tire size just yet. While skimming the forum a few people posted opinions on Falken Wildpeaks and KO2s, and I believe I will go with the Falkens. Some say that 31" are better for offroading and 32" fit with "some" rubbing. I'm looking for the practical offroad tire - not just a look (as long as it doesn't get Tonka-toy bad).

On a side note, I found Black Rock wheels on tirebuyer.com for a decent price (just haven't figured out backspacing and width). I can get wheels and tires from this site for around $1000 for a full set of 5. Parts are still coming in. So far I have Moog spring insulators, Bilstein shocks and Moog steering stabilizer (Thanks Kolak). Waiting for my IRO 3" springs and will be looking for a stereo to replace the cassette player.

When I get some spare time I will be pulling the bumper off and installing the front tow hooks. I'm still looking for a way to change the hooks out for some shackles or shackle mounts.

crat996, thanks for the welcome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in