First car first build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 02-02-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
702kid
1997 ZJ 

First car first build

Howdy everybody, before I tell you about my jeep I must inform the community that I have no experience under the hood at all. I couldn't tell you about what 65 percent of things do in a vehicle BUT ive spent weeks learning and I know more about my jeep and cars in general everyday. that's how its gotta be if I wanna do this the way I have pictured. I just purchased my first vehicle and I chose a 97 zj. I paid 4k for it, its got around 80 thousand miles and is in some very high quality condition.... or so it seemed, I got it checked out and my front differential is wasted and I need some valve covers. since the differential costs a lot to fix I'm considering replacing the stock LP dana 30 with an HP dana 30 either brand new or if I can get my hands on a used one for cheap ill do that. so because that could set me back atleast 1000 I'm considering holding off on touching the axles until I can afford a front hp30 and dana 44 in the rear at the same time because id like to increase my gear ratio. I don't want to purchase a brand new 3.73 axle for the front when I want them both to have somewhere aroung 4.5 or whatever the ratio is exactly. So I'm thinking about getting brand new complete axle assemblies in the front and back and then regearing before I start on anything else. Its a tough position for me and any advice is much appreciated. If you guys have any recommendations in terms of just getting used axles from the junkyard or wherever( please let me know where btw) let me know because new assemblies would take me a few months of saving and a few thousand. after that's all taken care of id like to get a 4.5 inch lift on her and I'm only considering long arms. would go with claytons but the lowest zj lift they have is seven inches so I have my eye on heavy duty IRO. because I have no experience under the hood whatsoever I'd have it professionally installed. Throughout this process I will get my hands as dirty as possible as I learn more and more. after the lift I'm looking at crager soft 8s 15" and hopefully some 33s. I would appreciate width recommendations aswell. after that she'll be looking pretty beefy and ill look to paint her black, get a gnarly looking winch and ill be adding plates over things on the underside of the car where they need them. ill be throwing on a lightbar here or there and an exhaust that's not too mean but just right. after that a decent radio and stereo since my speakers are all blown and I don't use cds or cassetts. this is about all I have so far but I guarantee the list is going to increase down the road. I'm going to be putting time and money into this vehicle for years to come for I want it to be one of the baddest zjs to ever be built. id like to thank the community for welcoming me, I look forward to updating and learning from you guys throughout the process. attatched is what she looks like! stock as all hell. Just wait

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0283 (1).jpg  

Tags
axle , tank , xj , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in