Contemplating a Jeep Grand Cherokee, low budget, for mild off road and car camping. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 05-11-2021, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

Contemplating a Jeep Grand Cherokee, low budget, for mild off road and car camping.

I just moved to the Nevada desert and I want a multi-purpose vehicle. A few states away, a friend of a friend has offered me a 1999 Grand Cherokee for $2,500. It's a salvage title and high mileage car but it's a runner with a lift and 33" tires. The interior looks nice but I hear the front seat upholstery is torn under the seat covers.

Otherwise, it looks pretty clean in the photos I have seen but I have not seen good pictures of the underbody and I don't know what kind of lift it has.

I know I can find a more stock car locally but if I'm going to lift it and get new tires/wheels, I'm sure I would spend much more.

I am planning to use it on BLM land that has plenty of rutts and rocks but not rock crawling per say. I just want something that won't get stuck or beat itself up going places that are a little sketchy for a typical 4WD truck (not a Raptor or some offroad package truck). That is what I mean by "mild off road".

The other options I am considering are LS powered GM trucks/SUVs from the early 2000s, Subaru wagons, Honda Pilot (if cheap) and maybe an oddball like a Nissan Titan.

The common thread is cheap, off road capable, durable and hopefully common enough that I can fix mechanical problems with salvage yard parts.

The nice thing about the Jeep is that it probably has more than enough suspension. The Subaru wagon option would probably need a lift and be more likely to blow head gaskets, water pumps and burn exhaust valves. The GM truck/SUV would need at least tires but I wouldn't feel nearly as confident in the suspension. A Honda Pilot would be reliable and pretty capable but a Pilot on my budget would be quite high mileage so the reliability might be used up. An oddball would have to be a great deal on a vehicle no one is looking for. If not, I doubt I could justify an unusual car with hard to find parts if the pricing doesn't give me some budget for expensive repairs.

So anyway, what should I look for on that Jeep? Should any particular suspension make me walk away?

If I started from stock wanting a suspension that will get me through rutts and over small rocks, what are good options?

I would like to keep my budget under $5,000 if possible which is what makes that lifted Grand Cherokee seem good.

I appreciate all suggestions. If you are selling a suitable vehicle, let me know (must have cold AC).

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in