93 zj limited 5.2 AWD daily project - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-14-2021, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Lewabuhdda
1993 ZJ 

93 zj limited 5.2 AWD daily project

Hello, I acuired a 93 zj limited with the 318. She's not perfect but for being as old as I am she is in over all darn good condition.

She's my daily project. As in daily driver but constantly working on it. Now with this being my first jeep and realizing the rabbit hole I just went down... I'd appreciate if y'all could give me some insight on what I have. Type of drivetrain, pros&cons, tips from experience, etc.

I'll keep y'all up to date as parts go out and on down the road.

-Adam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-14-2021, 04:36 PM
1996maroonzjf

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the ZJ!

After driving (DDing) / maintaining / modifying ZJs for the past 11 years I can honestly say the rabbit hole gets deeper the further in you go

Your 93 5.2 ZJ specs should be as follows.

-5.2 magnum V8 - very durable widely used in dodge vehicles with plentiful aftermarket and support

-46rh 4 speed automatic transmission - extremely durable and widely used in dodges as well

-NP249 (Quadra-trac) transfer case - not the most highly regarded TC used, the viscous coupler usually fails after 100K miles and is expensive to replace ($450 for the part). The first gen 249 (93-95) also does not truly lock when in 4Lo. Usually swapped out for a 242 or 231 transfer case because of cost and availability

- Dana 30 (low pinion) front axle with 3.73 gear ratio. Widely used in ZJs TJs and some XJs perfectly durable for most mild builds with stockish size tires can easily be swapped out for the stronger high pinion Dana 30 from an XJ with matching gear ratio.

-Dana 35 (Trudy-five) rear axle with 3.73 gear ratio. This axles get a bad rap because of failures when run with larger tires but also was used in some ZJs XJs and TJs and should be perfectly fine for a mild build with stockish size tire. Can easily be swapped out for the stronger D44a from a 96-98 V8 Zj (will have matching 3.73 gears)

Depending on your plans for your build you might way to take a look at the front driveshaft and see if it’s a CV style on the axle pinion end. If it is you will have to swap it for the much more durable u joint style driveshaft if you lift it above about 2”.

If you want to know more about your ZJ enter the VIN into Jeep’s VIN decoder on the jeep website and it will give you the build sheet for your ZJ and will list every option and everything it left the factory with.

Also join us over at the ZJ section of the forum!

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13

-Tim
(2) '96 4.0s
#1-'10-'18
#2- HP30/Ford 8.8 - 4.56, OME HDs, 5100's, IRO Adj Arms/Track Bars
post #3 of 3 Old 04-17-2021, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Lewabuhdda
1993 ZJ 

Yea Iím definitely hooked now, looks like the possibility is endless with these rigs.

That was exactly the type of insight I was looking for, I appreciate it.

Iíll check out it out now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in