2000 WJ 4.7 V8 Cooling Issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 08-08-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Raid1

2000 WJ 4.7 V8 Cooling Issues

Hello! I've been working off and on with my 2000 WJ 4.7 for a while, and recently moved to central Texas. First, the AC system failed, then I noticed the vehicle overheating regularly at highway speeds. It stays right at 210 in town, and no overheating issues until it gets out on the highway, then it can jump to 220 unless I put my heater on full blast to keep the temp down. New water pump, new radiator, new thermostat, coolant flush, new HOAT coolant, no air in system, no swiss cheese anywhere on the front of the engine from incorrect coolant in the past, and the electronic fan does work, although it seems slow to me. It has the combination mechanical fan mounted on the water pump, and electric fan mounted inside the fan shroud near the radiator. It just seems like the coolant is not being circulated fast enough, or the radiator cannot handle the 100F+ temps at 70-85 mph, or there could be some other issue I am not aware of.

My next step is installing one of the all-aluminum 2-core radiators from ebay, and see if that fixes the cooling issues, as it will give the coolant more time to cool before going back into the engine. I may also go ahead and replace the electric fan and relay, just because they are old.

I find it odd that it would maintain temp fine in town with stop and go traffic, but overheat on the highway. Usually it's the other way around.

I have already checked the exhaust for obstructions, and it has a new CAI on it, as well as an ATI SUPERDAMPER. Anyone else have these issues or know of a possible solution? I can't seem to find any straight answer on youtube or the other forums.

Tags
cooling , electric fan , overheating , radiator , thermostat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in