JGW: Ouray 2014 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 112 Old 08-20-2014, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Day 4: Yankee Boy Basin, again.

Thursday morning it was raining, pretty hard. But that was ok actually, because Steve had developed an issue with his transfer case coming down Mineral Creek, the night before. I figured he just broke the little plastic bushing in the linkage....and that's what it was.

So Thursday morning I checked for the part he needed in town, since he was up at the KOA, and I was at the Ouray Chalet. I stopped by Colorado West Jeep Tours to see if they'd have the part....nope. I was however directed to the local service stations, Steve's I believe it was. As luck would have it he had a replacement part. He said it was the fifth one he had sold that week. It was only $4, but I gave him $5.

I went up to the KOA and the rain just got harder. Working on the JK in the mud wasn't something we wanted to do, so Steve and I went into town to see what our options were. Steve's shop was full, so I stopped by Colorado West and asked about renting some shop space, I had seen they had alot of it when I stopped to ask about the part. Unfortunately his insurance didn't cover that. I told him that was fine, didn't hurt to ask, and said we'd do it in my hotel parking lot.

I was almost to my Jeep when he called me back and said if we signed something saying we wouldn't sue him we could use the shop. Done!

Steve and I went and got his Jeep, returned to Colorado West Jeep Tours and replaced the part. We had a bit of an issue getting Steve's transfer case skid to line back up, so it stayed off the Jeep.

I highly recommend stopping by Colorado West if you're in Ouray and need a Jeep rental/tour.

Once we were done wrenching the rain had stopped, so we decided to hit Yankee Boy Basin. Steve and Brian hadn't run the trail with Kevin and I on Monday, so I figured why not go again, if they were up to it?

Steve's JK and my TJ on top of Yankee Basin.

Me and my Rubi.

The weather changed quite a few times on Yankee, it was raining when we started, then cleared, then clouded up, then cleared....well, you get the point.

Steve and Brian, on the way down.

This creek crossing is actually where Imogene meets Yankee/Governor...but we had to cross it.

Steve

Brian

Me

I was able to enjoy my other hobby quite a bit, on this trip.

We couldn't do Governor Basin because it was closed. We were told the mining company was doing work on the trail....which means it probably won't be listed as "red" much longer, in fact Yankee was actually harder than Governor.....but neither was a "red" trail in Moab standards.

Member of JGW (Jeff's Gone Wheeling) and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 112 Old 08-20-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Day 4: Poughkeepsie Gulch.

After doing Yankee Boy Steve really wanted to do Poughkeepsie, since he didn't do it on Wednesday, so I said, what the heck, follow me!

Luckily the rain stayed away as we made our way up to the wall and back.

I didn't take any pics on this journey....not sure why. Anyway, here is the first video I have, which takes you up to the wall.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7_RsUR5ZpI&list=UUgwdKC8gqUnwW8fHU7g5e4Q

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aKM_rwO_IU&feature=youtube"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3X6u25AmvE&list=UUgwdKC8gqUnwW8fHU7g5e4Q"

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

post #33 of 112 Old 08-20-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Day 5: Black Bear Pass, one more time!

Friday was our last day. I wanted to drive Black Bear again, and Steve wanted to give Blake a chance to drive it as well, so off we went. Brian and Jan decided to drive to Telluride, the boring way, on the road.

These guys were in front of us as we started the trail.

The view never gets old.

I grabbed this shot, as I drove by.

Blake driving down...remember, he's 14.

I looked down and saw the Rubi below, and the driver yelled "Hey, aren't you Jeff?" I said yes. He said I'm Redneck Ron from Rubicon Owners Forum. This was the third person to recognize me, the two others were JF members.

Redneck Ron, from Rubicon Owners Forum.

Blake did an awesome job.

On the way down we encountered a Pathfinder (I believe it was) parked blocking part of the last switch back before the two way traffic began. It was causing issues. I wasn't happy. I may or may not have wrote "I'm and *******" in the dust on the rear window. What a jerk, there was plenty of room to park, out of the way.

We never did stop in Telluride. In fact the only thing we bought in Telluride, on Monday, was lemonade from a young girl, who had a stand just as we rolled back into town. She had a pretty good gig going.

post #34 of 112 Old 08-20-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Day 5: Last Dollar Road.

After Black Bear we decided to take Last Dollar Road back to Ouray. We couldn't find Brian and Jan...their phone was taking messages, probably because they were on a mine tour.

Last Dollar is a 21 mile road, about half gravel and half clay. It was wet in a few spots, but travel was actually pretty easy. It is a "green" trail after all. The views along the way were awesome.

I'll have some video of this trail/road as well.

post #35 of 112 Old 08-20-2014, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Video's

I'll post up vids as I get them processed.

This was on Friday, our last day.

Blake, who is 14, was driving the red JK.

post #36 of 112 Old 08-21-2014, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

After the rain stopped on Thursday, and before we hit Yankee Boy, I went for a little drive and took a few scenic shots.

Looking down on Ouray.

I still have some photos to get off my laptop, and I have a bunch of GoPro video to process.

You can see more photos from the trip here.

post #37 of 112 Old 08-21-2014, 02:31 PM
MDTJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Man what great photos. I ran across your "I want to do this road" post when I was researching Black Bear. How odd that we'd both end up doing it for real the same week. Yes, 8/14 was a cloudy rainy day, but to stay on schedule that was the day I had to do Black Bear and Imogene; didn't have time for the Alpine loop.

I saw the guy with the old military six wheeler cruising around Silverton on the morning of 8/14. Fun looking ride, but I wondered about its turning ability.

Good resources:

post #38 of 112 Old 08-21-2014, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTJ View Post
Man what great photos. I ran across your "I want to do this road" post when I was researching Black Bear. How odd that we'd both end up doing it for real the same week. Yes, 8/14 was a cloudy rainy day, but to stay on schedule that was the day I had to do Black Bear and Imogene; didn't have time for the Alpine loop.

I saw the guy with the old military six wheeler cruising around Silverton on the morning of 8/14. Fun looking ride, but I wondered about its turning ability.
Thanks. Being out there in the wife's Explorer in 2012 and having to wait 2 years to get back there, in the Jeep, was rough, but worth the wait. The scenery out there is the best I've seen.

The Alpine Loop made for a long day, but it was fun. Making it up the wall on Poughkeepsie was a good feeling as well.

post #39 of 112 Old 08-21-2014, 03:09 PM
rendell
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great pics! I still need to go through mine. It was nice meeting you briefly in your hotel parking lot.
post #40 of 112 Old 08-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Lovemachine

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! This just went on my bucket list. When my wife gets home, I'm showing her your pictures.

I noticed everyone trailered their rigs, did you drive yours there and back?
post #41 of 112 Old 08-21-2014, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendell View Post
Great pics! I still need to go through mine. It was nice meeting you briefly in your hotel parking lot.
Nice meeting you guys too. We had an absolute blast.

post #42 of 112 Old 08-21-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemachine View Post
Wow! This just went on my bucket list. When my wife gets home, I'm showing her your pictures.

I noticed everyone trailered their rigs, did you drive yours there and back?
Your wife will love it.

Yes, I drove there and back....just like I've done to Moab and back, twice. I've now got at least 10,000 miles on the Jeep, just in western off road trips.

post #43 of 112 Old 08-21-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was able to update the Ophir Pass / Alta Lakes post.

post #44 of 112 Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great pics. Co. and the San Juan's are definitely beautiful!

Just wondering... did you even need or use 4wh dr>? Looks to me 2 wheel and maybe a rear locker would have been more than enough.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #45 of 112 Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Great pics. Co. and the San Juan's are definitely beautiful!

Just wondering... did you even need or use 4wh dr>? Looks to me 2 wheel and maybe a rear locker would have been more than enough.
I used 4 LO most of the time, no lockers except on the wall on Poughkeepsie, and the big slippery boulder on the way to the wall. Once on the climbs 4 HI just didn't have enough power, and 4 LO made it easier on the Jeep.

Tags
4bt , awesomeness , colorado , cummins , report , trail , wheeling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in