FourWheeler 2019 Overland Experience - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-31-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

FourWheeler 2019 Overland Experience

Last weekend I returned from an awesome 16 day trip to Arizona, with final stops in Utah and Colorado. The reason for this trip was that I was apart of FourWheeler magazine’s first Overland Adventure … which was a reader’s ride. For any of you that follow the Ultimate Adventure that is mostly for their advertisers, this was a ride that my Jeep and trailer qualified for!

We ended up meeting the magazine staff and sponsors at the Flying E Ranch near Wickenburg, AZ. For the following two and half days, we had a guided tour of the back roads and trails of AZ, with our final destination being Overland Expo West at Flagstaff.

There were a total of 20 readers invited, and with staff and sponsors, there were a total of 38 rigs (nine of which like myself were pulling trailers). We ended up camping along the way together, including that we were given a prime camping spot in the vendors' area at Expo West. The Expo also gave us all complimentary Overland Experience tickets, which included training and classes.

It was an awesome experience which I truly thank FourWheeler for inviting me on, along with their sponsors! This trip was like it was for everything that I’ve done to build my Jeep and trailer to do. Along with my wife, we drove a total of 4,024 miles with a drive time of 70 hours and stopped for gas 25 times.

You can read more here about the individual Overland Adventure days here: http://www.fourwheeler.com/overland-adventure/

Now… just a few pictures!

The first ride included driving down a river bed, including through water as the canyon tightened up, and then through the desert, including climbs, and through forests.

We had occasional stops to see the sights or for lunches. There were a variety of 4x4s which included another Jeep TJ along with mine, JKs, Rams (including a Power Wagon), Tacoma’s and a Hilux, Chevy trucks (1971 pickup, a Colorado), Ford trucks (a Raptor, Ranger, classic Bronco, etc.), a Land Rover, several 4x4 vans, a military truck, a Unimog, and more.

Rugged Radios provided us with demo handhelds for communications.

Here at left, Rick Pw was apart of our group as the mid-gunner. We had a lead, a mid, and tail-gunner to keep the long convoy in line. You can imagine that 38 vehicles in a line driving in dirt can get stretched out.

The dust ... My red Jeep was turning tan!

We even camped with cows.

My most favorite addition to my Jeep for this long trip was this SnoMaster fridge. We had super cold water and adult beverages for the entire trip with no ice required.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'18 4Runner Limited

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-31-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Part Two

Once arriving at Expo West we set up camp and saw some cool Jeeps. (And well a lot of cool stuff!)

I also have to say that I really like these truck campers, either the Four Wheel Camper or the Alaskan. (A Ram 2500 could also pull my Jeep... hint hint.)

One of the Overland Experience classes that I took that was super interesting was showing how to weld with using three batteries.

We also met Nathan and Andre from The Fast Lane Truck, which I watch a lot of on YouTube. (At the time, they were interviewing the owner of the Unimog that was in our group, who was parked next to us.)

Following Expo West, with several more days before having to head home, it's been on my bucket list since our last 2014 trip to Utah to go camp for a night at Alstrom Point which is above Lake Powell. First, we stopped in at the Grand Canyon for the awesome view as the rain was passing through.

Continuing north, and after turning off of the pavement at Big Water, UT, we took the 25-mile drive out to Alstrom Point.

Once reaching Alstrom Point, the views were outstanding as we parked right next to a drop-off and opened the trailer's rooftop tent.

That afternoon and into the evening we watched the rain, for the most part, go around us. It looked as if the rain over Lake Powell was falling from the sky at our same elevation. Gusts of wind would occasionally hit the tent, so I had to tie it mostly down.

The night ended with a fire from the Campfire In A Can.

As a final picture, we happened to pass through Durango, CO on our way back east, which is where they have the well known coalfired passenger train that runs to Silverton. I took this picture parking next to the train depot as the morning trains were getting ready to leave.

Thanks for following along!

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

post #3 of 3 Old 06-01-2019, 08:46 AM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Very cool!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in