Dusy Ershem trail 2019, Sept 1st week of. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-10-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Dusy Ershem trail 2019, Sept 1st week of.

There really is nothing like this trail in the USA. This makes our fourth visit to this section of the Sierras. Though the last run of this was about 6 years ago. This trail has become much harder over the years and its 33 miles of it. Much harder then Rubicon trail we just ran in June, with snow still on it. We arrived at the staging area and as i was just to air down the rain started, thunder we are at 8000 feet at the start. 1st camp was Voyager and its only a few miles in. the rain went about 2 days. after that blew over we started up T hill a very long steep boulder field that climbs up to about 9000 feet and you are 10 miles in. then the rest of the 23 miles. Once you get to Ershem lake. near the end of the trail you are about 10 miles from the road, that last ten is a lot of boulder fields.

We dont tend to stop and get out for pics much. most all pics are on the roll my wife takes. Dusy they never "fix", "repair" to make easier, no by-passes but driver choices, line choice. Where the Rubicon they have made much easier over the past 8 years. Dusy is harder then Rubicon by far now. you can run this in 2 very, very, very long days if you dont get hung up. We spent 6 as its camping trip for us. I like camping where there are few if any people my self. 4 days would be common run time.. Running on 37s and 4" lift short wheel base on this trail helps a lot betting over large rocks with out beating the bottom to much, break over angles do a lot here. Many , Many tight places between trees uncountable. anything full width and long would make this trail much harder for driver. plan on damage. Be very careful all through the trail this Forrest is very thick and full of widow makers and dead ready to fall, leaner's of 150' that with a wind can come down and crush a jeep. The club that opens this trail each year. This year there were over 70 down that they cleared. on our trip two more must have fell since it opened this Aug 26 a late opening do to large snow fall.

since its never open more then 3 months each year and sometime much less. its one of those trails fewer jeepers will do. the road to it last fuel is 33 miles as well and that is one long paved narrow steep drive. then when you get to the end it another 34 miles back to the town. near 100 miles so some jeep may need fuel to run this. One of the real jewels of the Sierras.

the one pose pic coming out the last 5 miles if i recall.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2019, 01:51 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Very nice! some day when my jeep grows bigger tires i'll have to go.

post #3 of 6 Old 09-14-2019, 09:40 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hey, that's a great looking LJ in that last pic!

Looking at a couple of those pics makes me think I did the right thing of opting out! LOL. And I thought Swamp was bad! Haha. 33 miles is a loooooong way through all those boulders! Maybe next year can plan it out for a week and break it up a bit!

Was great camping with you guys! Other than the little bit of rain, a great time! Lets do it again... Moab in May!

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><

post #4 of 6 Old 09-14-2019, 09:43 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Mule View Post
Very nice! some day when my jeep grows bigger tires i'll have to go.
You may want to add some 'bigger' everything else on your Jeep for this trail!

Trails like this will definitely find your Jeeps weak spots!

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #5 of 6 Old 09-14-2019, 12:12 PM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's some rocks, cool jeep, and looks like a good time! (I also like that LJ too!)

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

post #6 of 6 Old 09-14-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Yea the rocks never end. Trails is harder over all then when i was there 5 years ago. some areas much so too. The hardest part is to not do anything stupid as you tire after a 12 mile slog through boulders, day after day. This is no place to break, be sure your jeep is in its best form. They were rescuing a Yota truck i think it was fuel pump issues. at about the 10 mile point from finish. The guy said he had to walk like 12 miles out. rig sat a week on the trail. no one messed with it. we meet them going out when they came lead buy one bad ast buggy. nice people. i want that buggy

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in