Overheating Issues / Cooling System Questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 03-15-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
73wagon
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Overheating Issues / Cooling System Questions

Hey guys - hoping to seek your advice on some of these overheating issues. I have noticed that as Spring is coming into Southern California and the temperature is starting rise my jeep has been running hot. It usually runs about 160* and I noticed when I went to a friends house to pick him up I left it running outside for less than 5 minutes and the temp was up over 200* when I came back to the jeep.

I recently bought a boat and I pulled it to Oceanside which is about 26mi from my house, the truck did great on the way up since it was early and the temp was in the 50's but on the way home, the heat and the stop and go traffic cause my truck to overheat.

The issue seems to happen when the truck has been running and then it sits idle for example stuck in traffic.

I am purchasing an aluminum radiator this week, I bought a new thermostat and the radiator overflow setup is kinda messed up on my truck so I am going to start there.

I believe the fan I have is just a straight mechanical fan tied to a belt. I thought about removing it and placing (2) 12 inch electric fans on the radiator (I heard by removing the mechanical fan it gains some HP)

I am considering installing a transmission cooler as well.

Can you guys offer me any suggestions on upgrades or modifications you have done to make your jeeps run cooler? and also some advice on the things I have planned above?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-16-2015, 05:55 AM
RockRollin

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

The stock cooling system is more than adequate, if everything works correctly .Other than what you've listed, check the flow of the water pump, the impeller can deteriorate causing low flow. The aluminum radiator is a good upgrade imo, the electric fan is as well but you will have to run a higher amperage alternator (over 100 amp, over 140 recommended). With the higher amperage, you will be working the old wiring pretty hard. An auxiliary tranny cooler is a good idea also.
Do you currently have a fan shroud?
Are you running a flex fan (no fan clutch)?
Have you done a chemical flush of the cooling system?
Those are the things I would do first, the electric fan is a good upgrade, but not a fix for a poor performing cooling system.

"I like fun" Edd
Clawed: 90GW, TFI, Streetfire, 3"lift all spring, 31"BFG ATs, working RKE, Edel2131, Holly 1850, mild cam,
05 Renegade OME 927, 947, top plate, JBA 4.5s
"Just Jeepin it real"
post #3 of 25 Old 03-16-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
73wagon
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I am trying to eliminate the things that I know are wrong. I know my radiator does have a very small leak, it leaked when it was pressure tested. The overflow system is also rigged and not correct. These things I do not believe are working correctly.

Water pump is a flowkooler. I also have a Powermaster XS Torque Starter.

Yes it does have a fan shroud. I do not believe its a flex fan, but I am pretty new to this stuff. Not sure if it has a clutch (attached some pics here)

I have not done any flushing of the current system.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2967.jpg   IMG_2968.jpg  

post #4 of 25 Old 03-16-2015, 02:02 PM
RockRollin

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

It does appear to be a flex fan, should be a seven blade fan. Not seeing a fan shroud though, and those two things could greatly diminish the idle cfm. How far from the radiator is the front of the blade? That too can lesson the cfm. I would get a chemical flush and run it for a few hundred miles before the new radiator.

"I like fun" Edd
Clawed: 90GW, TFI, Streetfire, 3"lift all spring, 31"BFG ATs, working RKE, Edel2131, Holly 1850, mild cam,
"Just Jeepin it real"
post #5 of 25 Old 03-16-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
73wagon
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

It is definitely a 6 blade fan. I tried to take a picture so you could see the distance. Also, took a picture of the shroud which also has a crack in it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2969.jpg   IMG_2970.jpg   IMG_2971.jpg   IMG_2972.jpg  
post #6 of 25 Old 03-16-2015, 05:58 PM
RockRollin

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Now I see.
My stock fan is 9-3/4" from center to tip of the blade. I don't have a shroud so I can't give you a measurment from tip to edge of shroud. If it were me, I think I would try a stock fan and clutch with the new radiator. The electric fan is a good upgrade as I said, but there's alot to do other than just hooking up the fan.

"I like fun" Edd
"Just Jeepin it real"
post #7 of 25 Old 03-16-2015, 08:39 PM
gpcl16
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

FYI 200 degrees is a normal temperature. That's why the stock thermostat opens at 195 degrees. I wouldn't be concerned unless you're running over 220. That being said the overflow system needs to work properly. Coolant expands when hot. At every cool down cycle, as the coolant contracts the created vacuum will suck coolant from your overflow back into the radiator. If there is no coolant to suck in it will suck in air instead. Any air in the system will cause the cooling system to not function properly. Having a crack in the radiator or anywhere else in the system will not allow the system to properly hold pressure when hot and create vacuum when cooling down. It will only get worse as we go into the hotter months.

The flex fan should be fine. I ran one on my Ford F 250 for years that saw heavy towing. Worked better than the fan clutch on my current Ford. The only problem was that it was loud as all hell. Sounded like a vortex. I wouldn't worry about that crack in the fan shroud. Just flush the system, get a new radiator on there, get the overflow hooked up correctly and pressure test the system for other leaks.

1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer V-8
Dana 44s 3.31, Rear TrueTrac
4" BDS All-Suspension Lift
post #8 of 25 Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 PM
olyeller1
1984 J-Series Truck 

Sounds like air in the system. My original radiator had a few small leaks, replaced with aluminum, could not get air out, parked on steep hill while warm and let gravity do the work. Also trimmed 2" from top hose at engine to allow hose to sit lower than top of radiator. No more problem.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-16-2015, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
73wagon
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thank you guys for all the advice!

If you look at one of the pictures above you see the green electrical tape over the cap of the overflow - that's because there was a big hole in it. It was sucking air and also pushing air. It wasn't holding any pressure at all. The radiator also has a leak and when pressure tested, it leaked as well.

Here is what I am hearing from you guys...

Based on RockRollin's advice I should just stick with the stock fan (upgrade to a 7 blade instead of 6) and clutch with the new aluminum radiator.

Gpl16 has made it clear that air in the system is a problem and I need to address these issues in both the radiator and the overflow.

Olyeller1 is saying that even if I replace the radiator it seems that I still need to bleed the air out somehow.

Thinking about this radiator
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-CORE-Alumi...344820&vxp=mtr

This fan
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fl...model/wagoneer

Any other suggestions?
post #10 of 25 Old 03-17-2015, 02:05 AM
vanaisa
1974 FSJ Cherokee 

You dont have problems with cracked owerflow cap. This bottle isnt pressurized.
Cooling system sucks coolant fluid thru plastic hose, between rad and owerflow canister. If you have coolant there all is ok.
post #11 of 25 Old 03-17-2015, 04:53 AM
RockRollin

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291320778793?nav=SEARCH
This radiator^ (I don't trust not seeing a picture)
That fan looks like what you have now. This is a stock fan, you will want a haydon clutch to go with it if the attached clutch test bad. This is a good price as well.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/371107881439?nav=SEARCH
The catch can allows for expansion/contraction to happen while keeping the radiator full.

"I like fun" Edd
"Just Jeepin it real"
post #12 of 25 Old 03-17-2015, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
73wagon
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yeah i like that radiator, you think that one would be a good one?

I looked and I dont think mine has a clutch, I could be wrong, but I dont see one. What did you think about that flex fan from summit?
post #13 of 25 Old 03-17-2015, 01:27 PM
RockRollin

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

That's the same radiator I've been running for 2-1/2 years, cools well no issues. You definitely don't have a clutch. I have heard of a few who prefer the flex fan, but a whole lot more that curse them. The 7 blade stock fan with clutch will move more cfm at idle than a flex fan, and work the engine less at speed, that has been proven.

"I like fun" Edd
"Just Jeepin it real"
post #14 of 25 Old 03-17-2015, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
73wagon
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Those flex fans claim to add hp to your engine because they cause less resistance or something like that.

I take your word for it, so I guess I need to install a clutch and then get the 7 blade fan you pointed me at?
post #15 of 25 Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
73wagon
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Can you also direct me to where I might find a new overflow resovoir?

Tags
cooling system , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in