No rear brakes on wagoneer - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-24-2021, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
DavidPalmer

No rear brakes on wagoneer

On the '76 Wagoneer which has sat for 20 years and which I am fixing up, the brake pedal went to the floor, and I replaced the leaking master cylinder with a new one, and now the front disc brakes work fine (sitting on blocks and turning the wheels by hand), but there is no braking action in the rear (except for the parking brake). And it seems that the rear brakes aren't even getting any fluid....when I open the bleeder valves, no fluid comes out. What would cause this? A bad proportioning valve? And I am in dread of replacing that....with all the lines that connect to it and whose nuts have potentially rust-frozen, I'm worried that one or more lines will twist up and be ruined (although I did successfully replace the front brake hoses without ruining either of the lines).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-24-2021, 02:22 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i would suspect the valve. brake fluid tend to absorb water as it ages this so basically the system after all these years left sitting rotted. part of restoring old stuff

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2021, 02:38 PM
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I know it is not what you want to hear, but when I rebuilt my old 75' Cherokee Chief and had break problems I just ripped out all the old hard lines and proportioning valve and replaced, all the lines were clogged and rusty the prop. valve was seized, afterwards it would stop on a dime.

01'XJ,4.0l,AW4,NP231,D30,CHY8.25,3"IROlift,Bilstei n's,IRO OTKsteering,245/70R16,NokianRotiiva AT

post #4 of 7 Old 07-24-2021, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
DavidPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDXJ View Post
I know it is not what you want to hear, but when I rebuilt my old 75' Cherokee Chief and had break problems I just ripped out all the old hard lines and proportioning valve and replaced, all the lines were clogged and rusty the prop. valve was seized, afterwards it would stop on a dime.
Thanks for the info!
The front metal lines were open, and good-looking fluid came out of them (and the front brakes work ok). I'm hoping the same for the rear lines. I'll try just replacing the proportioning valve and see what happens. I noticed that it has oily dirt on it (rather than rusty dirt), so hopefully the fittings will come loose ok.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-25-2021, 08:48 AM
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPalmer View Post
Thanks for the info!
The front metal lines were open, and good-looking fluid came out of them (and the front brakes work ok). I'm hoping the same for the rear lines. I'll try just replacing the proportioning valve and see what happens. I noticed that it has oily dirt on it (rather than rusty dirt), so hopefully the fittings will come loose ok.
PB Blaster is your friend, spray all the fittings over a couple days repeatedly and only use a line wrench.

01'XJ,4.0l,AW4,NP231,D30,CHY8.25,3"IROlift,Bilstei n's,IRO OTKsteering,245/70R16,NokianRotiiva AT
post #6 of 7 Old 07-26-2021, 12:17 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

I had so many break or round that I just replaced the Combination Valve and all its fittings, someone had previously worked on the fittings so they were in poor shape anyway. The flare tools are not expensive and you know that the brakes are going to work. I then found that some of the lines had been brazed together and they were rusty so i replaced the whole lot on my J20, remarkably easy. Also all brake hoses, master cylinder and rear wheel cylinders.

You can buy a coil of cupronickel and a bag of fittings very cheaply and, because it is so easy to work and bend cupronickel, the brake lines are a breeze.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #7 of 7 Old 07-26-2021, 03:08 PM
CSP

Had this problem on my '73 CJ5 on the right front. Pulled the bleeder screw out and saw the wheel cylinder was full of nastiness, and the brake line itself needed a good flushing.

I've found that these Vise Grips work wonders on fittings that even a line wrench will round off. Not your typical multi-tooth vise grips that chew up a fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SBBE...roduct_details

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in