New waggy......Where to start???? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 10-13-2020, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Waggymcgee

New waggy......Where to start????

85 gw. The good:. Rebuilt 360 and 727 tranny. New carb, fuel/water pump, hoses/lines, brakes, shocks, radiator, no leaks and west coast car with one small rust pocket on rear quarter panel. Sunroof!

The hopefully not terrible: only gauges that work are fuel and odometer. No turn signals, no hazards, no dash lights, no interior lights, no seat belt chime, clock doesn't work...basically nothing. I got the gas gauge working tonight. The fuses are all kind of corroded so I'll clean the fuse box and see what that helps. Oddly, when I put it in drive the right signal lights up on the dash only.

Leading to my main question: do you start tackling these one by one or are they indicative of one root cause issue.

Second question, how the heck do I get the flasher relay to come out? I'm worried I'm gonna rip the whole box out with the amount of weight I'm putting on it. Is there some magic to this?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-14-2020, 11:19 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sounds like corrosion. The flasher relay is a standard item and should pull straight out, 30 years of corrosion will have it stuck in. WD40 is the answer.

The lack of action could be fuses, it could equally be the connector on the back of the instruments. More likely fuses or grounds.

You need the diagrams, try oljeep.com for free FSMs. Then get a 12V test light and run around under the dash looking for voltage. Then connect it to the battery positive and look at teh grounds.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in