New to me Jeepster Commando - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 Old 11-30-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Kim'sJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

New to me Jeepster Commando

Going to go pick this up next Thursday! It belonged to my hubby's friend who passed away a couple years ago. His wife gave it to me. (Hubby has been helping her clean her 3 property's for since her hubby passed) We have to make a trip to Washington to pick it up (we are in CA). The trip is going to be basically paid for by her, so not to bad of a deal. We are also brining another one of her cars back to CA. That is why she is paying for the trip. The Jeepster was a bonus for me. LOL

Not sure what all is wrong with it, but I know it has been sitting for several years. Can't wait to get it and get it home to start reviving it.

I will post more pics when I get to WA next week.

RubiconFreedom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 11-30-2018, 02:09 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

WOW - WOW speachless -

think twice - research- then act to repair.

Great story except the California part - but North I hear is different.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 53 Old 11-30-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Kim'sJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
WOW - WOW speachless -

think twice - research- then act to repair.

Great story except the California part - but North I hear is different.
Yah, it's going to be a slow rebuild. First thing will be giving it a bath. LOL

post #4 of 53 Old 12-01-2018, 01:44 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Do a close inspection of the tailgate and rear fender areas for rust. That is the biggest issue with these rigs.
V6?
Auto?
If memory serves, some of the dash components are interchangeable with the Waggy/J series of that era.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #5 of 53 Old 12-01-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Kim'sJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Do a close inspection of the tailgate and rear fender areas for rust. That is the biggest issue with these rigs.
V6?
Auto?
If memory serves, some of the dash components are interchangeable with the Waggy/J series of that era.
I can't tell you the motor size yet. I do know it is a stick shift. I wish it was an automatic though. LOL I do know how to drive a stick, daily drove my VW Bus for 4 years, till I got my Jeep Liberty. LOL

post #6 of 53 Old 12-02-2018, 08:12 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

I've always had a soft spot for the Commando's, especially in summer with the top off. Easier to get in and out of and a bit more cargo space.

Most of these have the Buick V6. If so, earlier models will have the T86 (unsyncro'd 1st) transmission. Later ones will have the T14 (syncro'd 1st). The T86 is balky but relatively strong, and can be rebuilt using T90 guts. Show care if it is the T14, as these are marginal behind the Dauntless and replacement parts are just about nonexistent.

Wagoneers of the same era came with the TH400 auto behind the Buick 350 offered, and if you can find one, it shouldn't be a hard swap.

The beauty is the extended wheelbase will allow you to install just about any transmission in there you want.

Take a good look at the rear end. Many Commando's (for some reason) came with a D30 in the back. These are serviceable, but marginal under heaver wheeling.

The steering will be a Ross style system and while beefier than the CJ's of the same year, will still be prone to slop. They can be rebuilt or upgraded to a Saginaw (power or manual) system.

I see somebody has "added" a turn signal regulator. The stock one should be a GM truck unit of the same year.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #7 of 53 Old 12-02-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Kim'sJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, great info JeepDaddy. Thanks!

Someone told me that if it is a 71 it would probably have the saginaw steering. Then someone told they thought it was a 71. I really don't know yet. We leave in 3 days from now to go get it. Can't wait.
post #8 of 53 Old 12-03-2018, 02:12 PM
CSP

If it has Saginaw steering, some prior owner swapped it in. Jeep didn't start using Saginaw steering until '72 and yours is definitely '71 or older.
post #9 of 53 Old 12-03-2018, 02:53 PM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

Looks late 60s or so. I had a '72 model this same color but with the "ugly front clip" instead of the Jeep style grill. I would think it would still have the v6 badges if it has the Dauntless odd fire v6 in it. but they may have been removed. You can take a pic of the motor and post it and we will be able to narrow that down. Commandos are rare and not seen very often now days so it is a good restoration project to do....unfortunately you have Cali emissions to deal with....yuck

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
post #10 of 53 Old 12-04-2018, 09:40 AM
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZCAT View Post
unfortunately you have Cali emissions to deal with....yuck
Cali emissions don't apply to '75 and older models.
HAZCAT likes this.
post #11 of 53 Old 12-04-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Kim'sJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I will post more pics when I get home with it. Where it is located right now, there is not wifi, and I don't like posting stuff from my phone. So pics will have to wait till next week.

Oh, and yah, I won't have to deal with Smog with it being below a 76 vehicle. 75 and down is no smog.

Someone told me it was a 71 or older because of the reflectors on the fender. That is all I know.
post #12 of 53 Old 12-04-2018, 01:41 PM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

'71 or older due to the flat "Jeep" seven slot grill. '72 and up have a different "Bronco" or "Blazer" style front grill. Original late 40s Jeepsters (which are 2wd only) were a pointed grill like the Willys Wagons. Then they went with the flat grill then the rounded full grill look for the last generation.

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
post #13 of 53 Old 12-04-2018, 02:09 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I've had 3, a '68 (C101) and both a '72 and '73 (C104). Yours is a beaut! I'm a big fan of them!

I have to ask, what part of Washington? It wouldn't by chance be in the Edgewood/ puyallup area, would it?

Anyways, '71 up had Saginaw steering (w power option), a closed knuckle 27 up front, and D44 out back. Pre-71s had the D30 rear. All had drum brakes from the factory -they tend to suck in stock form.

I think it's a '70- '71 because of the rear reflector on the side of the tub. (But that's a guess)

My '68 came stock w/ the auto trans, it's a Buick set-up behind the odd-fire dauntless motor. That, and the F134 i4 where the only factory motors.

Guage cluster and controls are the same as the J-trucks for the same years.

Hoss
Kim'sJeep likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #14 of 53 Old 12-04-2018, 02:37 PM
CSP

This is the '72-73 version of the Commando. It's quite different than '71 and older.
Attached Thumbnails
commando.jpg  
post #15 of 53 Old 12-05-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Kim'sJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
This is the '72-73 version of the Commando. It's quite different than '71 and older.
Yah, those are called Bull Nose. I thought it was 73 that started the bull nose, but if it is 72, then mine is definitely not one of those years. LOL If 70 models didn't have the reflectors, then mine has got to be a 71.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in