My 88 Wagoneer - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-07-2005, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
hemilady

My 88 Wagoneer

Just found out that my "new" Wagoneer is missing a lens in the fog lights.
Is this something easy to replace, easy to find? Or do I have to replace the whole fog light. (It comes with covers).
Also, had alot of hesitation....most of the time, but not all of the time. Like when you accelerate the jeep takes her sweet ole time.
Everythings been done, timing, spark plugs, etc etc etc.
Installed the new fuel pump today. Running "okay" right now, but, could be one of its good days. Also drive approx. 30 miles a day, I have to fill up every 2 -3 days. This usual for this vehicle?
Anything else we should look at?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-08-2005, 01:17 AM
logsmith

A few suggestions..

Fog lights are a dime a dozen, if napa doesen't have a replacement lens buy new ones.
The hesitation probably would be helped by a carburetor rebuild. You probably have leaks in the vacum lines from dry rot, Buy bulk tubing and replace all the skinny rubber lines.
If the engine is running smoothly and acceleration is slow your catalytic converter is pobably clogged and needs to be replaced. You may as well replace the muffler and pipes too. You're best bet there is to find an independent shop and source the parts yourself. Catalytic converters are out there for between $55 and $300. If you go to a chain muffler shop you will pay top dollar.
As for your fuel mileage, it just doesn't make sense. If your going thru a tank of gas every 3 days and only driving 90 miles, then you must be dumping gas on the ground. How much gas are you putting in when you fill up? It has a 22 gal tank and the engine could not possibly burn that much gas. You should get at least 10 mpg in town.
Wagoneers are great old vehicles, I have two- an 82 & 86. But they are old vehicles. Even the good parts are worn. My strategy has been to replace any OE part that might strand me- fuel pump, alternator, water pump, belts, hoses. One at a time, DIY, the parts are cheap, I can't stand to pay someone $60-70/hr to do what I can figure out myself.
If you maintain them they will be the best vehicle you'll ever have, just anticipate problems
post #3 of 10 Old 02-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Answerguy7

Is your Wagoneer fuel injected or carborated?
I have an '88 Waggy too and am having similar problems. The hesitation is mainly when it's cold, but it idles rough almost all the time. I've also replaced the plugs, wires and cap/rotor with no real change.
I've run 2 bottles of Heet through the system and it sems to help a bit, but I'm thinking it has more to do with the fuel delivery system than anything. I'll be changing the fuel filter in the next couple days and will inspect the strainer in the tank.
My fuel economy isn't the greatest either, but I think I have a smaller tank than most at 15 or 16 gallons. I have a feeling that the converter may need replaced and I'm almost certain that the vacuum lines need a once over.

Keep me in the loop with how things go for you and I'll be sure to do the same!

'88 Wagoneer Limited (XJ) Woody
4L I6
Woody Jeep Club Member #1
*XJ Armor K&N Intake System
*Open cooling system (92+)
*Wildcat 235/75/15 tires
*TJ Rims
*Nice Paint
*No Lift - Not needed for a UAV....

"The grass is always greener where the dogs sh*t...."

post #4 of 10 Old 02-21-2005, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
hemilady

My Wagoneer has a carburator.
Now got a new Catalytic and new flowmaster muffler, but still runs the same.
New transmission filter also, since it seems to shift a little too quick between 2nd and 3rd, (yeah, still does after new oil)
More than half the new hoses have been put on, what else?
I'm beginning to think this is the way it runs.
Once its running, its strong. Its just "getting there"
post #5 of 10 Old 02-24-2005, 05:51 AM
ramfanweber

88 wagoneer
This fall replaced engine with a jasper rebuilt ,and I still have some hesitation,shop says carb is good and replaced fuel filter,havent checked vacum
post #6 of 10 Old 02-28-2005, 09:30 AM
dangerous

delay in accleration

I had that problem for a while, then it got so bad that it would take multiple seconds for any accelration to happen. turns out it was just a vacuum sensor. I capped the last line running to the last cylinder on the I6 and it runs great now. It probably hasnt run this smooth in 5-10 years.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-28-2005, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
hemilady

I found out it might be the accelerator pedal in the carbuerator, I'll find out this weekend when the another carbuerator gets installed.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-03-2005, 05:55 AM
snyiper

A way to check for leaks in the vacuum is to spray carb cleaner around the carb and lines while running to see if the rpm changes or it gets smoother this will help narrow it down if there is a leak at all.

Glenn
post #9 of 10 Old 03-10-2005, 09:52 AM
ovrszd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answerguy7
Is your Wagoneer fuel injected or carborated?
I have an '88 Waggy too and am having similar problems. The hesitation is mainly when it's cold, but it idles rough almost all the time. I've also replaced the plugs, wires and cap/rotor with no real change.
I've run 2 bottles of Heet through the system and it sems to help a bit, but I'm thinking it has more to do with the fuel delivery system than anything. I'll be changing the fuel filter in the next couple days and will inspect the strainer in the tank.
My fuel economy isn't the greatest either, but I think I have a smaller tank than most at 15 or 16 gallons. I have a feeling that the converter may need replaced and I'm almost certain that the vacuum lines need a once over.

Keep me in the loop with how things go for you and I'll be sure to do the same!

You have an XJ, totally different vehicle/power train.
My FSJ GW gets around 11 mpg, running 33" tires and 3.73 gears with an Edelbrock 4bbl and aluminum intake, aftermarket duals.
I agree that these vehicles are unique and you gotta love 'em, but you also gotta tinker with them a lot.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-14-2009, 06:34 AM
jerry6

My '89 Wagoneer Limited runs great once it's rolling past 5mph or so, but she hesitates or stalls when first starting out. Recently replaced cap, rotor, wires and plugs. Trying to clean injectors out with Seafoam in 20 gals of gas.

Any ideas?? With 185,000 miles, this is my first Jeep. Sure do love it. Is like nothing else!

Thanks a lot,guys.

JP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in