Looking at a 68 Truck - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 07-20-2021, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
landercj7

Looking at a 68 Truck

Hey all looking this next week at 67 Jerp truck. Curious what red flags I should look for? Good things? Bad thing?

I will be doing a resto/mod on it to make a great wheeling, camping etc. supposed to have a solid frame minimal rust.

Only has a 6 cyl? But I have a fresh 360 sitting in storage, with a 727 and Dana 300 4:1 twin stick and clocked.

What diffs? I read likely 44 front and rear, but I also have a 60 and 14 bolt laying in storage…

Thanks for any pointers and help!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-21-2021, 08:21 PM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

Which model is it?

There are a few rare ones from that year including the independent front suspension and duallie models, few were built.

It should have a Dana 20 transfer box but some were 2wd, so look carefully. 1/2te had dana 44, 3/4" ton had dana 60 in the rear. Unless you are hauling, the Dana 44 makes more sense with a 3.9:1 ratio.

I have the J20 and the gearing is far too low even with 33" tyres. the T18 granny low is useful for hauling gravel out of a pit but otherwise I would have preferred the 727. The Dana 60 rear is full floating but the 4.88:1 gears limit highway speeds. If you are not going to use

A straight six of that year should be the Tornado, a 230ci overhead cam. It was very advanced for its day and rated at 140hp so more powerful than the later 258. If it is working you may be able to sell to the military truck owners.

The points to look at are the usual truck stuff, cab corners, floorboards, bed, tailgate (very hard to get), frame. The hard to find bits are trim, chrome etc.

mine is an extended cab, almost finished for expeditions, just need air con now.
Attached Images

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in